Music INDUSTRY has gone down hill....what has happened to REAL music

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    crazymonk wrote: »
    +1 This.

It's OK to listen to music which is outside of the current chart, new and old it won't kill you, it'll only do you good really. ;)

There's nothing wrong with it at all :D Here's a few more non-mainstream acts I sometimes listen to:

Holy Ghost!
    Ladyhawke
    Queen of Hearts
    Imogen Heap

I forgot to list those last night :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Music lives on the internet, not just in the charts and the on the radio, these days.

Personally, I believe one of the best albums in the last 30 years came out this century: Back to Black - Amy Winehouse.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,954
    Forum Member
    The answer is to explore other types of music not found in the mainstream. Use the internet :) It's one of the best tools for discovering new (or old, depending on your preference) music
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favourite musicians is Sarah McLachlan.

She's not very well known over here but is massive in Canada

I only got to hear of her when some of her songs were featured on a Canadian police show called Due South
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There has always been terrible music, just go and randomly look at a Top 40 chart from any year you care to. You will spot rubbish there somewhere, even in the so called classic years in the 60s and 70s.

The difference now is that the Top 40 is FULL of rubbish, IMO, as the way people listen to music has changed so much. Its mainly just 'kids' that download singles isn't it? Too many people are just happy to hear 'music', they don't really care too much what it is...hence the X Factor and Heart/Capital is full of MOR songs that don't offend anyone as such.

But people who are really interested in music and finding class artists, will delve deeper and find great music is there, its just not always obvious.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is a silly thread, there is still brilliant music out there you just need to look for it
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fairy_ wrote: »
    this is a silly thread, there is still brilliant music out there you just need to look for it

Well as a couple of people have rightly pointed out on the "Top of the Pops 1978" thread over in the TV forum, why SHOULD we have to go looking for it? Why isn't it being delivered to us through the normal channels?

Thirty years ago you could listen to the chart rundown on the radio and hear pop, soul, disco, reggae, rock, indie, novelty songs, easy listening, comedy, rap...all in one show. Nowadays listening to the radio is an endurance test in homogenous mush.

Not only is the music industry ridiculously conservative and narrow in its approach but the media is also culpable in limiting the range of music options available to the public, particularly to a younger audience
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ If you look at the Top 40 at the moment there is quite a bit of variety actually. I was mildly surprised. Whether the music is any good is another story....
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Plenty of links to real music on the Heavy Metal/Hard Rock thread :)
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    What has happened to music?

The structure of songs seems to have completely fallen by the wayside

Take for example 'i get a feeling' or Tulisa's 'were young'

Its literally the same line over and over and over and over and loud beats

Its god awful

What happened to songs you could actually sing along to,

Every track that comes out latley is a confused, writhing mess with no direction and relying on autotune, loud beats and 2 LINES of song

who are you to declare what "real" music is?
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    real music is music made by playing real musical instruments..that's why it's called music

it's like real football is played with a real ball on real grass

easy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    real music is music made by playing real musical instruments..that's why it's called music

it's like real football is played with a real ball on real grass

easy

First of all, you couldn't have picked a worse analogy.

Secondly, do you think that the first time an electric guitar was showcased, people that only listened to classical music would be a big fan of it?
    Times change, technology updates constantly. You can still make an amazing piece of music without having to use instruments that have been around for decades. Some of my favourite songs are the ones which fuse together stuff like strings and brass with contemporary instruments created with technology.

The thing that IMO needs to change is the quality of lyrics. Even if it's cheesy lyrics about love it would be an improvement. Anyway, there are a lot of acts in the charts that use what you call "real instruments." Obviously outside the charts there will be more, but dance is starting to disappear now. Everyone uses the internet to listen to what they want - do the same.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the thing about "real" instruments is silly. Even rock bands that use "real" instruments use a lot of computers in recording to process the instruments and make them sound a certain way.
    Conversely, when you all electronics, it's not like the computer makes music by itself. You still have to have creativity and skill to create sounds on a computer.
    I enjoy music both with real instruments and electronics, it all depends on the quality of the song and as someone else said how interesting the lyrics are.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me, music took a real nose dive when my most favorite singer James Otto was pretty much pushed out of it. Did the industry just want somebody who didn't grow as much as him because James, to me, is the best that there is! :):):)

God bless you and him always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. Six foot and five inches is what James stands at and to me. his last album named Shake What God Gave Ya! was severely overlooked! :(:(:(
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In answer to the OP on song structure i think a great example in the mainstream is Ellie Goulding- Halcyon the structures of the songs on that album are effortless and for the most part flawless so really there is great mainstream music out there that gets ignored. Music has now become about convenience and people simply don't want to mine for it but it is there if you look hard enough.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes .. "I only like one particular genre of music so I declare that to be 'real' and everything else forthwith to be crap and not 'real' !. I shall proceed to whine that 'music isn't what it used to be' and name one artist I can't stand as an example of the decline in the quality of ALL music when truth be told, I have actually buried my head so far down in the genre of music I like, I wouldn't know good music if it poured a bucket of paint over my bottom !".

Or something like that ;)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Oh dear, another music supremacist.

And one that is. most ironically, a champion of the dreary effort that is this year's UK Eurovision entry..!