New hard drive

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
Forum Member
Hi, I have a thomson dti 6300 box can I replace the hard drive if so what size and what type do I need?

Thanks tom :confused:

Comments

• bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tom1962 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a thomson dti 6300 box can I replace the hard drive if so what size and what type do I need?

Thanks tom :confused:

Hi Tom, as it happens - I replaced one yesterday! if you look at your model no, it will say DTI 6300 - 16 or 25, that means it has either 160 GB or 250 GB HDD, in fact it does not matter which size you replace it with, just so long it is an IDE type of these two sizes (other sizes may work) & the jumper is on "Cable select", not a SATA - they are too old for that.
    Make sure you are unplugged from the mains when you are working on it.
    Why are you changing the HDD, if your box is dead, the usual cause is power supply problems, duff capacitors I have also known the Bridge rectifier to die too (usually taking the main 22uf 400v cap with it). When you have the lid off, check any caps for bulges at the tops. Usually a couple of 1000uf ones need replacing, otherwise they are good boxes.
    Bob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    thanks for replay, its say on front of box 160. so 160gb, its working fine. just what a bigger hardrive. ps would you have a link for one,

thanks again tom:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for replay, its say on front of box 160. so 160gb, its working fine. just what a bigger hardrive. ps would you have a link for one,

thanks again tom:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Branded-250GB-IDE-ATA-PC-Hard-disk-drive-upgrade-also-160-200-300GB-availabl-/250907387200?pt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item3a6b3ee540
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link, what I replace my hdd how do I formatte the hdd?

Thanks tom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link, what I replace my hdd how do I formatte the hdd?

Thanks tom

They normally sort themselves out automatically, just connect it up & turn on!