Options

Humax Duovision Alternative.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
Forum Member
Hi,

I have had Sky + for 3 years now and before that I had Tivo. But I have decided now that I would like to not pay for a service that I can get for free.

Anyway after looking into the issue for a number of months I decided that the New Hummy 9200 was going to be for me. But after reading the initial reviews it is no longer in the running as 20 entries just isn't enough.

Anyway I was thinking that surely buying 2 seperate Humax 8000t's represents better value. I do not need to connect the unit to my PC and this way I can have 40 timer entries and have the boxes in 2 seperate locations (if I desire) still have one box if one fails, set a recording on both boxes to ensure that it doesn't fail. All this for around £150 for both.

I probably won't do this but I was wondering what you thought. I know if both were in the same location I would have a problem with the remotes but other than that I think I would prefer this then spending more for the 9200t and at least alot of the software problems are already sorted on the 8000t.

What do you think,

de_deej

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Just out of interest, where have you seen £75 H8000's ? Pricerunner suggests that the lowest price with delivery is from Hughes at £105

If I could pick one up for £75 I might be tempted just so I can have a PVR for the bedroom telly as well (I'll live with the single tuner limitation)

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Sounds like an interesting idea, and if it works let me know. I have an 8000T already which I'm seriously considering replacing with a 9200T so that I can do the two channel thing, and also watch previously recorded programs whilst recording another. So in my position I could achieve most of that functionality by buying another 8000 on eBay for £70 or so.

However, the potential pitfalls which come to mind are:

1) Remote - (as you mentioned) although you could work around this by temporarily covering one or other IR receiver window.
    2) Space - Personally I don't have room for another box under my tele but you might!
    3) Scarts - Ideally you want both Humaxs going into an RGB scart socket on your tele, and looping one through the other only works when you've got the first one in standby (I think). So unless you have a spare RGB scart on your TV you're probably going to need a switcher.
    4) Finding recordings - You'll have two lists of previous recordings to look through rather than one.
    5) Splitting - With 2 8000's you can playback one recording whilst making another BUT only if they're on different boxes, which may be harder to manage than in sounds, unless you always know which recordings you've got on each box and which one you're going to record with that day.

Or then again I could eBay my own 8000T and put that £70 towards a more elegant dual recording solution!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    dedeej wrote:
    Anyway I was thinking that surely buying 2 seperate Humax 8000t's represents better value.
    You are aware that there is no alternate remote control code, so its tricky to have two 8000T boxes in the same room?

Edit: Just reread the OP where you say you are aware of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know this way has its limititations and I probably won't be doing it. I just had high hopes of the 9200t but I guess I will be keeping Sky+ and just pay the £10 sub cost until one of these company's get there act together and produce a decent pvr.

de_deej
  • Options
    Schnauzer BitesSchnauzer Bites Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony Fan wrote:
    3) Scarts - Ideally you want both Humaxs going into an RGB scart socket on your tele, and looping one through the other only works when you've got the first one in standby (I think). So unless you have a spare RGB scart on your TV you're probably going to need a switcher.

The 8000T will happily allow another signal to pass through regardless of whether it is in standby, switched on to a channel, or actually recording.

All you have to do is press the source button and the picture on the TV will swap between what the 8000T is doing and whatever is connected to it is doing.
  • Options
    slotslot Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    dedeej wrote:
    Hi,

I have had Sky + for 3 years now and before that I had Tivo. But I have decided now that I would like to not pay for a service that I can get for free.

Anyway after looking into the issue for a number of months I decided that the New Hummy 9200 was going to be for me. But after reading the initial reviews it is no longer in the running as 20 entries just isn't enough.

Anyway I was thinking that surely buying 2 seperate Humax 8000t's represents better value. I do not need to connect the unit to my PC and this way I can have 40 timer entries and have the boxes in 2 seperate locations (if I desire) still have one box if one fails, set a recording on both boxes to ensure that it doesn't fail. All this for around £150 for both.

I probably won't do this but I was wondering what you thought. I know if both were in the same location I would have a problem with the remotes but other than that I think I would prefer this then spending more for the 9200t and at least alot of the software problems are already sorted on the 8000t.

What do you think,

de_deej

Narrow-minded thinking...

Draw back the curtains, clean the dust off the telly, have a shave and a wash, then let some daylight back into your life.

You could have paid for 1½ 9200T's during the first 12 months for the cost of keeping sky+, with an 8000T per quarter from then on. You could then have a PVR in every room in the house (including bathroom) within 2 years.

Just think of it... multiple and duplicate recordings, the comfort of no lost programming, plus the bonus of one remote firing off commands to numerous devices spread liberally around the home, all at the touch of a button!

- What do you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slot wrote:

Draw back the curtains, clean the dust off the telly, have a shave and a wash, then let some daylight back into your life.

You could have paid for 1½ 9200T's during the first 12 months for the cost of keeping sky+, with an 8000T per quarter from then on. You could then have a PVR in every room in the house (including bathroom) within 2 years.

Just think of it... multiple and duplicate recordings, the comfort of no lost programming, plus the bonus of one remote firing off commands to numerous devices spread liberally around the home, all at the touch of a button!

- What do you think?

I'll do that while you go to school to catch up on some much needed math lessons.

Sky+ will cost me £10 a month so that’s £120 for the year. The 9200t will cost around £210 and the new aerial around £25. Then it will become obsolete in a year and I will get £70 for it on the bay so really it will cost me £165 for the year. Just in case the math is to much for you that's £45 more.

All that for the lack of chase play the numerous other problems (such as noise) the lack of timer entries the lack of season passes.

If you are going to make unhelpful and stupid comments keep them to yourself.

de_deej
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    dedeej wrote:
    I'll do that while you go to school to catch up on some much needed math lessons.

Sky+ will cost me £10 a month so that’s £120 for the year. The 9200t will cost around £210 and the new aerial around £25. Then it will become obsolete in a year and I will get £70 for it on the bay so really it will cost me £165 for the year. Just in case the math is to much for you that's £45 more.

All that for the lack of chase play the numerous other problems (such as noise) the lack of timer entries the lack of season passes.

de_deej

There is not much point in keeping sky at all if you are using a PVR9200, since it cannot record from sky. I think the assumption being made was that you would cancel sky altogether. This is a minimum saving of 25 per month or £300 per year if you are paying for sky plus - more likely £360 per year if you have the family pack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is not much point in keeping sky at all if you are using a PVR9200, since it cannot record from sky. I think the assumption being made was that you would cancel sky altogether. This is a minimum saving of 25 per month or £300 per year if you are paying for sky plus - more likely £360 per year if you have the family pack.

Read the whole thread.

I will be keeping Sky+ with Sky's FreeSat so the only cost is £10 a month (a bit like a tivo sub).

So I will say again read the whole thread before you comment.

de_deej
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    dedeej wrote:

de_deej

There is no need for this sort of attitude. If you don't want an open discussion why post here in the first place? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quaint wrote:
    There is no need for this sort of attitude. I you don't want an open discussion why post here in the first place? :D

Quaint,

I unserstand your point but I don't believe this sort of comment is useful to anyone:

de_deej
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I'm with dedeej on this one. There's no reason for any of us to take insults on this forum, especially from people who are new or were previously banned and have come back under another name.