Options

Wii to Wii U Virtual Console/Wii Ware Transfer?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently got a Wii U console. However, I still have two Wii consoles one of which has several virtual consoles games including lots of classics like all the NES Marios, Mario 64, N64 Zeldas, Tactics Ogre, Galaga 90 etc and the other has a couple of Wii Ware titles Art of Balance and a couple more I think. Anyway, I would really like to have access to all these games on the Wii U as the Wii barely gets any use any more so these classics go largely neglected.

Basically, is there anyway I can transfer all my Virtual Console (and ideally Wii Ware too) games onto the Wii U so I can play them on there?, ideally for free though I would pay a (very nominal) fee for the convenience factor.

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You can use Wii to WiiU Transfer Tool which will transfer over all Wii saves and purchase info over to the WiiU.
    Any WiiWare and VC purchases that were not already on the Wii Home Menu can then be redownloaded to the Wii side of WiiU via the Wii Shop.
    You can only do this with one Wii console though.

Here's the how to guide:
    http://youtu.be/eaeYXkQX1Xc
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You can use Wii to WiiU Transfer Tool which will transfer over all Wii saves and purchase info over to the WiiU.
    WiiWare and VC purchases can then be redownloaded to the Wii side of WiiU via the Wii Shop.
    You can only do this with one Wii console though.

http://youtu.be/eaeYXkQX1Xc

I'm not sure if that's true. I couldn't find it on the UK site but the US site says you can transfer content from multiple Wii's to one Wii U-

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1333/p/431/c/266/session/L3RpbWUvMTM5NTc0OTMzMi9zaWQvKnE3U082UWw%3D
    Can I Transfer Data from Multiple Wii Consoles to a Single Wii U Console?Applies to: Wii U Deluxe, Wii U Basic
    Yes, Wii Shop purchases and Wii Points will be combined. However, there are numerous items that will be replaced during this transfer process:

•Download content and save data for software titles that exist on both systems will be replaced by the save data and add-on content from the last system to perform the transfer.
    •Mii characters in the Wii Menu of the target Wii U console and the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID of the target Wii U console will be replaced with the Mii characters and the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID of the last source system to perform the transfer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to transfer from both but not essential as the later wii only has a couple of wii ware titles, the other one is the priority as it has lots of VC classics.

However, seems I jumped the gun a little as on opening the Wii U box up (just came this morning, second hand from eBay), I noticed that both the gamepad and console ac adapter look as if something small has chewed them as they have a bit of bare wire showing. On the console AC adapter it is on the lower voltage side that goes into the console and doesn't appear to have crossed into the other wire but I'm still wary of trying it, if it had touched the other wire could it fry the console (or the socket)?

I will of course be contacting the seller, just hope the console isn't dead too, thought I'd got a bargain too as I paid well under what they are normally worth but should have known if it looks too good to be true....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got new cables and touch wood, it seems to be working. Is quite noisy, certainly not as quiet as my PS3 slim or 360S but no where near as bad as the old 360s were. Then again the original Wii isn't super quiet either so hopefully normal.

Anyway, I will try and do the transfer when I get chance, though one thing I did wonder, assuming all the content goes to the Wii emulation side rather than the native Wii U, does that mean it also has the 500MB storage limit the original Wii had?

I was hoping by transferring to the Wii U I would get around that but if it's Wii mode is a perfect replica of the Wii it probably has all the same limitations... I was hoping it would allow a bit more storage because my Wii Ware/VC collection on my Wii actually exceeded the available storage so I had to put some of them to SD card, which is inconvenient as you can't actually run them from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    transferred all games from both my Wii consoles no problemo! The Pikmin animation is quite cool too though I bet it would frustrate people who wanted to do it in a hurry as I'd suspect rendering all that probably shows the actual data transfer down a fair bit but I digress.

As suspected storage space in the Wii U (in Wii mode) now becoming a problem since it has two Wiis worth of games on it. Since the transfer is now done can I delete the Wii Transfer tool to make a bit more room? (it takes about 100 blocks).

It's a shame you can't allocate a bit more space to the Wii mode of the Wii U as just like a real Wii it fills up very quickly....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    I had to put some of them to SD card, which is inconvenient as you can't actually run them from there.

Yes you can, via the SD Card Menu which has been there since Wii Menu 4.0 was released.
    I've got an 8GB card myself which is more than enough room for mine, you just need to make sure you got enough room on internal storage for them to load which will be whatever size the game file is in blocks. So whatever the biggest game size is then just make sure that's what's available.
    If you don't know already, here's a vid of what the SD menu looks like.
    http://youtu.be/QvAktkFp5Yg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Yes you can, via the SD Card Menu which has been there since Wii Menu 4.0 was released.
    I've got an 8GB card myself which is more than enough room for mine, you just need to make sure you got enough room on internal storage for them to load which will be whatever size the game file is in blocks. So whatever the biggest game size is then just make sure that's what's available.
    If you don't know already, here's a vid of what the SD menu looks like.
    http://youtu.be/QvAktkFp5Yg

hmm I wasn't aware of that. However, it still does kinda need the game in the system memory to run it (albeit one at at time) as it sounds like it copies whatever game you want to play across and runs it from system memory albeit temporarily. I guess the SD card just isn't quite fast enough. Still good to know as I have a 16GB SD card I got for the original wii and barely used so hopefully will prove a bit more useful on the Wii U.

Going back to my original Q is it safe to delete the transfer tool from the Wii side of he Wii u when you are done with it? That would probably free enough space to run just about any VC/Wii ware game and then I can put the rest of my games to SD card.

Regarding the Wii U itself is there anyway to have the controller power off to save the battery when you are playing on a game (New Super Mario U) that can be played on a different controller? I thought if I selected the Wii remote the gamepad would power off to save it's battery but it stays on just mirroring what is already on the TV screen which seems a terrible waste when it doesn't have very long battery life to begin with...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course the Transfer Tool is safe to delete. It's only 98 blocks so not that big anyway.
    The only things I've got on my Wii menu is The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword save data update channel and The Homebrew Channel.
    With all my game saves I've got a total of 1024 blocks still available, all my games are on the SD card.
    One thing to be aware of if you haven't worked out already is that any games on the SD card you will have to delete and redownload them again from the WiiShop as the ones on your SD card are still inked to your old Wii console.
    All those that were already on the system menu should be ok as they were moved during the transfer.

As for the Gamepad screen, well that's something that has to be programmed into each game which some allow you to turn off and others do not.
    New Super Mario U isn't a title that allows this.