Options

The Crystal Maze. Favourite presenter and zone.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
Forum Member
I loved this programme when I was little. I was only 7 when it started, but it was my tv highlight and I looked forward to watching every week.
I didn't have a tv for about 4 years until recently, and one of the main reasons for getting one was because I found out Challenge was repeating TCM:)
My favourite zone was/is Medieval until Ocean was introduced.
As for presenter I loved Richard O'Brien when I was little. I thought he was funny and as mad as a hatter (in a good way) and I liked his Mumsy. But watching them again, I think Ed Tudor-Pole did a great job, and don't know why he's critisized so much. Also, watching them again as an adult I've developed a bit of a crush on Ed.:o
Would love to read other peoples comments and memories of this great programme.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard O'Brien and the Medieval zone made the show, for me.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a thing about the group Tenpole Tudor so Ed turning up was a real treat for me, although I suppose Richard would be my presenter of choice.

And as for favourite zone Aztec was one I remember the most just for the plants!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. Richard O'Brien and his Mumsy in Medieval and when they left that's when Ocean became my favourite.
    I always enjoyed the really wet games in Ocean. My second favourite is Aztec. I loved the game with the slippery pole they had to walk accross with the bucket full of holes, it was hillarious. I think it was a game in Richards last series. He said Mumsy created the game in one of her evil moments:D
    As for Ed, I had no idea until recently he was a musician and that he took over from Johnny Rotten in the Sex Pistols. It's not my kind of music but I still think that's pretty cool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard O'Brien & Mumsy. Aztec simply because it looked so warm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I think Richard was the better presenter, he was very entertaining, but watching the repeats i do think Ed is cute.
    My favourite zone is the aztec, just because when i watched it as a kid i always wanted to go there for a holiday as it was always sunny lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Richard O'Brien - Aztec and Futuristic.
  • Options
    iampetesmithiampetesmith Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Stella28 wrote: »
    I agree. Richard O'Brien and his Mumsy in Medieval and when they left that's when Ocean became my favourite.
    I always enjoyed the really wet games in Ocean. My second favourite is Aztec. I loved the game with the slippery pole they had to walk accross with the bucket full of holes, it was hillarious. I think it was a game in Richards last series. He said Mumsy created the game in one of her evil moments:D
    As for Ed, I had no idea until recently he was a musician and that he took over from Johnny Rotten in the Sex Pistols. It's not my kind of music but I still think that's pretty cool.

He was also in Tenpole Tudor, who did Swords of a Thousand Men. You may have heard it before :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANx3L-N0yU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard O'Brien and Futuristic Zone

On a side note: Never liked the Ocean zone, always felt tacky to me and I felt there was other things they could have used as zones - got a feeling am on my own though
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Aztec for me as for presenters i liked them both.

I did think the games in Aztec were easier for some reason
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I didn't know Ed was in a band, that's pretty cool.
    I do like Richard O'Brien as the presenter a bit more though
    My fav zone was probably Aztec
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nyota wrote: »

The highlight for me was Aztec Zone when one of the contestants fell in the supposed Parana filled water!

Still you cant beat the time he told this foreign girl off for jumping across the platforms and all she did was laugh.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The awkward moment a contestant breaks every bone in her body and Richard O'Brien locks her in.

"You're doing quite well!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GgXzoZ3mo

"5, 4, 3, 2, oh dear, 1..."
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard O'Brien - Aztec
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard & Aztec for me too.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard O'Brien - Aztec.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entrance to the Aztec zone wasn't always that easy, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B92WWUPjmWE&feature=related
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow popular choice!

Richard and Medieval for me too! (liked his interactions with mumsy) Aztec close second!

They should bring this show back! I always wanted to do it but was too young! :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SweetD. I think Richard was the better presenter, he was very entertaining, but watching the repeats i do think Ed is cute. My favourite zone is the aztec, just because when i watched it as a kid i always wanted to go there for a holiday as it was always sunny lol.

Ed's more than cute, I think he's gorgeous!
    But I do have a rather unconventional taste in men.
    The likes of Brad Pitt, George Clooney and David Beckham do nothing for me.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMLisa wrote: »
    Richard and Medieval for me too! (liked his interactions with mumsy)

Very funny. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BMLisa wrote: »
    Wow popular choice!

Richard and Medieval for me too! (liked his interactions with mumsy) Aztec close second!
    They should bring this show back! I always wanted to do it but was too young! :-(

I'm not sure about bringing it back, the tv bosses of today would ruin it. The contestants would be z list "celebrities" and they're bound to put in some viewer vote thing.
    And who would host it? There's no-one like Richard or Ed on tv these days.
    One other forums Russell Brand has been mentioned. BLURGH! I can't stand him, and I think his supposed zanyness is put on, where as I think Richard and Ed are just as nutty in real life.
    As much as I love the show, I think it should stay in tv heaven.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard O'Brien (obviously!)

I always thought the best zones were Aztec and Futuristic.

The water games in Aztec made for some hilarious moments. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was also in Tenpole Tudor, who did Swords of a Thousand Men. You may have heard it before :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANx3L-N0yU

Can't say I have heard it before. Should I have done?
    Not really my kind of music, but thanks for the link.
    Do you know if it was a hit and when it was recorded. It looks 80's to me.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard and either the Industrial or Ocean zones. I loved seeing them travel through the tunnel from the Aztec zone and either take the dead end and have to crawl back or get scared by the shooting spray thing.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Richard

Ocean Zone
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here. I loved this show