Deeply unfashionable singers and groups

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beautiful South - a band enjoyed only by bus spotters, string collectors and ZX Spectrum freaks.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    He's got no willy

Down with this sort of thing
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lighthouse Family.....barf!
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of both but I would say Spice Girls and The Saturdays.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never forget back in 1997 how unpopular the Spice Girls more or less became overnight. One day they were the greatest thing to ever exist, the next no one could stand them. It was very strange times.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sade.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    The Lighthouse Family.....barf!

LOL that reminds me, when I was leaving secondary school (here in Ireland we have a 'graduation' type thing, but it's a mass rather than a big American-style ceremony like you see on TV) I was in the choir for the graduation and we had to sing one of their songs. I think it was called (I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be) Free. I listened to it on Youtube a while afterwards and hated it :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Sade.

???????????? :o
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Id exclude Michael Buble. OK hes not cool but hes popular with older women & being a fan of him is no shame in their demographic. He gets regularly played on some radio stations unlike Cliff who everyone seems to ignore.

:o

Yes it bloody is :p:D

Older women aren't the borg. We don't just get to a particular age & suddenly start listening to dull, MOR crap. Older women who do, probably listened to crap when they were younger too.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised no ones mentioned Susan Boyle.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will never forget back in 1997 how unpopular the Spice Girls more or less became overnight. One day they were the greatest thing to ever exist, the next no one could stand them. It was very strange times.

That was me:blush:
    I was obsessed with them in 96 and early 97 but then All Saints came out and I jumped ship:blush:
    All Saints were like the cooler alternative to Spice Girls at the time.
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M People
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susan Boyle
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belinda Carlisle, Rod Stewart also spring to mind
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Steps
    Aqua
    Most Eurovision entrants

Would any of them be considered uncool?
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the film they made had a lot to do with it, I never saw it but from the clips I saw it looked like cheese on toast!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vanilla ice
    sonia
    craig david
    dj luck and mc neat
    showaddywaddy
    black lace
    daphne and celeste
    shampoo
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Beautiful South - a band enjoyed only by bus spotters, string collectors and ZX Spectrum freaks.

Wasn't their greatest hits album a big seller?
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rod Stewart was definitely getting into this territory with that endless string of dreadful swing albums. He seems to have knocked those on the head though.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm not too bothered about the "coolness" if I like a song, not a Buble fan in any way, but "Haven't Met You Yet" is a good song, same with Cliff I like "We Don't Talk Anymore" I even like "The Millennium Prayer", I'm not Christian at all but who cares.

And from others in the thread, Toploader's Dancing In The Moonlight even though it is a bit naff, The Beautiful South I like "Bell Bottomed Tear" & "Perfect 10", The Lighthouse Family had a classic with "Lifted" and some of Robbie Williams hits favourite is "Candy" and his song from the film Johnny English "A Man For All Seasons" rather than "Angels" which is on far too much., Vanilla Ice, I'll always enjoy "Ice Ice Baby".

I prefer songs to artists, if I like the way something sounds and the associations that arise from it, than that's all I need.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hanson. I'm sure most would just say they are the three kids who sang MmmBop, but they have matured very well as a band. Underneath is an excllent album.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East 17
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Amongst rock fans definitely Nicelback and Creed. I quite like them though!

Status Quo as well, amongst the older rockers.

Scouting for Girls, James Blunt, David Gray and Moby are more uncool acts

However Creed evolved in to Alter Bridge who are held in very high regard by Rock fans.
    Sade.

Sade is massively popular in America, far more so than here. She was the highest earning British artist in America in 2011.

Sade outselling Adele, Elton John and The Beatles in the US
  • HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember that very clearly. Even as an 8 year old, I could sense the sudden shift in public opinion. It was around the time of Spice Up Your Life IIRC.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    dodrade wrote: »
    Wasn't their greatest hits album a big seller?
    Robson & Jerome had two No.1 albums.