Did Dawn Airey Ruin CITV in 1993?

fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When Dawn Airey took control of Childrens ITV in 1992, she allegedy sacked Tommy Boyd, who had a disagreement with Airey. Tommy left in Dec 1992.

Glenn Kinsey who had been doing Summer Mornings then presented until Feb 1993, when "thanks" to Ms Airey all in-vision continuity was scrapped.

And CITV went downhill ever since. Steve Ryde was the annoying voice over for animated characters inbetween the programmes. This new presentation made Cbeebies look like Question Time

Thankfully, during 1993-1997 CITV still produced some good teenage dramas like The Lodge, Eye of the Storm and Delta Wave.

Dawn Airey's successor, saw sense and in May 1997 invision continuity was restored in May 1997. With new faces Danielle Lloyd and Stephen Mulhern.

By 2002, with increasing competition from Nick & DIsney and less investment by ITV in childrens programming, CITV began to suffer.

Sadly, again invision contiunity was dropped in 2005 and all kids content moved to the CITV Channel.

CBBC still has in vision continuity on the CBBC Channel- but the style of the presenters is much different to the likes of the greats (Schofield,Crane, Parkin for BBC, Kinsey Boyd for ITV)

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What really killed CITV was the banning of food and Drinks adverts ...
    http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2006/11/17/new-restrictions-on-the-television-advertising-of-food-and-drink-products-to-children/
    so most of the revenue went away ...
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    It was actually in 1998 when in vision CITV presenters returned.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    What really killed CITV was the banning of food and Drinks adverts ...
    http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2006/11/17/new-restrictions-on-the-television-advertising-of-food-and-drink-products-to-children/
    so most of the revenue went away ...

Aren't the considering extending that ban right up to the watershed, as they think that children are still able to see such adverts too often?

It wouldn't surprise me if in 10 years time all such adverts are banned entirely.
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    When Dawn Airey took control of Childrens ITV in 1992, she allegedy sacked Tommy Boyd, who had a disagreement with Airey. Tommy left in Dec 1992.

Glenn Kinsey who had been doing Summer Mornings then presented until Feb 1993, when "thanks" to Ms Airey all in-vision continuity was scrapped.

And CITV went downhill ever since. Steve Ryde was the annoying voice over for animated characters inbetween the programmes. This new presentation made Cbeebies look like Question Time

Thankfully, during 1993-1997 CITV still produced some good teenage dramas like The Lodge, Eye of the Storm and Delta Wave.

Dawn Airey's successor, saw sense and in May 1997 invision continuity was restored in May 1997. With new faces Danielle Lloyd and Stephen Mulhern.

By 2002, with increasing competition from Nick & DIsney and less investment by ITV in childrens programming, CITV began to suffer.

Sadly, again invision contiunity was dropped in 2005 and all kids content moved to the CITV Channel.

CBBC still has in vision continuity on the CBBC Channel- but the style of the presenters is much different to the likes of the greats (Schofield,Crane, Parkin for BBC, Kinsey Boyd for ITV)

I found CITV to be very dull and boring when Tommy returned, and in 1993 it was given a right kick up the back side. During 1993/94 etc CITV had the highest rated cartoons and kids dramas on tv.

I do see your point about Qt :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-is2o9R75c

Steve Ryde was a kids presenter before and well Guess where Steven ended up in 1998? He become a top dog in CITV and it was he was in charge of bring back IN-Vison.

Dawn Airey's successor, which one? Dawn Left to go to Channel 4 in 1994..

CITV become crap once Janie Grace was sacked
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she did but then it bounced back in 1998 and peaked around 2001, it was still good for a couple of years but that last year or so with the predominately white branding was not as good.

Remember the White Knuckle Tour?
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    It all depends on when you grew up. I grew up during the CITV out of vision era, 1993-98 according to you lot, so naturally I'm going to think that era was the best, which I do
    Forum Member
    seiko456 wrote: »
    During 1993/94 etc CITV had the highest rated cartoons and kids dramas on tv.

Pretty sure it only had a quarter of the viewers that CBBC had regularly, hence the high turnover of short-lived series on CITV during this period.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Strewth
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    helen_kay wrote: »
    Strewth

Precisely - me too!:o
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Kids TV was at its best 1975 - 1995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Pretty sure it only had a quarter of the viewers that CBBC had regularly, hence the high turnover of short-lived series on CITV during this period.

That may be true, but CITV still had some of the highest rating shows :D Of course that only means 5% of output is outstanding, while the other 95% is alright or scoooby doo ;-)
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids TV was at its best 1975 - 1995

Wow you had a long childhood...

It's always 'best' when you was a kid surely?!
    Forum Member
    helen_kay wrote: »
    Strewth

You revived an old thread just to post that vague, incomprehensible one-word answer?
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    You revived an old thread just to post that vague, incomprehensible one-word answer?

Lol, it also looks like it was her first ever post on DS, so she may even have joined just to write a single Australian colloquial word of exclamation 7 months after the last comment. The human species is bizarre indeed.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Wow you had a long childhood...

It's always 'best' when you was a kid surely?!

I was a tv watching kid in the early 90's. We had ghost train on Saturday mornings, whats up doc, Mike and Angelo, Spatz, Clarissa explains it all etc etc etc. But looking back at previous years and years since 1975 - 95 also had supergran, Grange Hill. 3 7 11, Knightrider, Terrahawks, Count Duckula etc etc.

It seems after 95 it all got dumbed down, put into demographics, lost ad revenue, and above all, lost all effort and imagination. Pokemon, Teletubbies, and flibberdy jibberdy nonsense talking things don't quite cut it!
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have fond memories of the Stonewall era, and whilst I have no time for Boyd as a person (another story - he's a man with many enemies), I enjoyed his 1990s era at CITV too. Saturday mornings on ITV were great in the late 1980s and early 90s.

I largely lost interest around the time in-vision continuity was dropped, and apart from the odd thing, I largely gave up on after school children's TV in favour of my games consoles until the Australian soaps came on.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Central TV was the main producer of Childrens programmes for ITV in the 80's and 90's.
    However it was taken over by Carlton TV in 1994 after the big "franchise auction".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Central#Children.27s

Carlton & Granada then basically shut down all production by Central gradually in the early 2000's. This affected the childrens shows.
    They also cut the budgets for Citv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Can somebody explain why a ban on adverts killed CITV but there are several commercial kids channels running happily on cable and satellite?
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    Can somebody explain why a ban on adverts killed CITV but there are several commercial kids channels running happily on cable and satellite?

Some are subscription, so get a cut of the money, which will help
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Central TV was the main producer of Childrens programmes for ITV in the 80's and 90's.
    However it was taken over by Carlton TV in 1994 after the big "franchise auction".

Carlton & Granada then basically shut down all production by Central gradually in the early 2000's. This affected the childrens shows.

Actually, I'd say the main producers of CITV programmes were Scottish, Thames/Tretra Films and Meridian/TVS, with HTV, Anglia, Granada, Central, Yorkshire, Carlton and Tyne Tees following.

Central, however, were in charge of the CITV presentation. Commissioning and scheduling was done by the ITV Network Centre.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thames loosing its license in 1993 also didnt help, it took away shows like Rainbow, which had been produced by them.

I dont remember there Afternoon slot so much, but having missed a lot of Schooling, due to disability, operations, I fondly Remember there Lunchtime Slot.
  • Pete_ukPete_uk Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least it wasn't as bad as that bloody cat that CBBC had for a while!

Tommy Boyd, was he the one that ran a Waitrose for a while or am I thinking of someone else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Central was one of the big players in CITV, with a very long list of shows for the slot, STV did very well out of CITV.

The ban on Fatty adverts killed CITV, because most of those adverts were the biggest spenders for the slots. If you were trying to sell washing powered I doubt any kids would run to the mummys and say I want Bold ;)

What is the story about Boyd the person ?
  • zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

Carlton already had a 20% stake in Central prior to the complete takeover. It was Govt legislation that allowed ITV companies to take over other ITV companies (providing it wasn't the two London stations) This was something totally seperate to the 1991 Franchise contest.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Central was one of the big players in CITV, with a very long list of shows for the slot, STV did very well out of CITV.

The ban on Fatty adverts killed CITV, because most of those adverts were the biggest spenders for the slots. If you were trying to sell washing powered I doubt any kids would run to the mummys and say I want Bold ;)

What is the story about Boyd the person ?

They did have Surf washing powder sponsoring Crossroads, and they were having Arthur Darvill (or Thomas Darvill as he was back then) flogging Crossroads on CITV in a desperate bid to get that audience watching to boost ratings.

And yes, the Rev from Broadchurch was an in-vision presenter on CITV.