Mel & Sue

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Maybe im missing the point and this is just a show for middle aged women but i think mel and sue have the personality of a damp rag. Mel is just about bearable because at least she can get to the point but Sue is the most annoying presenter i have seen in a long time. Not funny in slightest and she frequently misses the point just to pull some weird face or make some squeaky noise. Not a fan at all and i wouldnt complain so much if i didnt think their slot could be used for something so much better. Still, each to their own i guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time I've watched this today and I enjoyed it because I love Mel and Sue and every one of the guests they had on.

I saw Robert Webb in Jeeves and Wooster last year in London - and he was sooooo amazingly good. I'd recommend seeing him in it to anyone.

This show reminded me of Mel & Sue's old show 'LIGHT LUNCH' or whatever it was called.

I think Sue might need to calm down a bit - and it looks like they are being given too many gags from the autocue to fit in at the start of the show - but they are just tweaks. They can refine it.
    Mel & Sue are always slightly better when they joke about without a script.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe im missing the point and this is just a show for middle aged women but i think mel and sue have the personality of a damp rag. Mel is just about bearable because at least she can get to the point but Sue is the most annoying presenter i have seen in a long time. Not funny in slightest and she frequently misses the point just to pull some weird face or make some squeaky noise. Not a fan at all and i wouldnt complain so much if i didnt think their slot could be used for something so much better. Still, each to their own i guess.

Absolutely spot about Sue. Her attempts at humour and to improvise a gag, or go off the beaten track about something and be quirky, fail in spectacular fashion. Pure tumble weed moments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Heard Yvette Fielding was on today, is she still chasing after those non existent ghosties?

No, I think she's after goolies now.......... ;-)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God, I hope they don't get another series of this show - absolutely awful and cringeworthy.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,806
    Forum Member
    They introduce some woman you can't hear what is being said, the guest walks behind some shelves, you can't see who she is but she's wearing a coat which she takes off...bizzare.

They then talk to guest about a TV programme but don't say what it is, still no clue who the guest is...they show a clip realise she's in Mr Selfridge.

We get a close up of Mel's large ass as she suddenly gets up in front of camera to pick up some fancy cakes which we don't get a clear shot of...I switched away when they began the accents bit.

Returned to see them talking about dancing with guests, embarrassing pauses, programme ends with Mel & Sue doing washing up to the tango with bored looking audience watching in silence....and they promise to return next week!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    They introduce some woman you can't hear what is being said, the guest walks behind some shelves, you can't see who she is but she's wearing a coat which she takes off...bizzare.

They then talk to guest about a TV programme but don't say what it is, still no clue who the guest is...they show a clip realise she's in Mr Selfridge.

We get a close up of Mel's large ass as she suddenly gets up in front of camera to pick up some fancy cakes which we don't get a clear shot of...I switched away when they began the accents bit.

Returned to see them talking about dancing with guests, embarrassing pauses, programme ends with Mel & Sue doing watching up to the tango with bored looking audience watching in silence....and they promise to return next week!!!

Vincent and Flavia are world champions in the style of dance they were performing. I reckon you would watch that in silence as it's a rare treat to see them. They are amazing at what they do. So skillful. :cool:
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,806
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Vincent and Flavia are world champions in the style of dance they were performing. I reckon you would watch that in silence as it's a rare treat to see them. They are amazing at what they do. So skillful. :cool:

I understand when Vincent & Flavia did their performance, this was the so called comedy sketch after the credits.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you think could be shown in the slot instead?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Bring back Britains Best Bakery.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another cookery show? No thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved them washing up :)
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved them washing up :)

They'll be doing that full time in 4 weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously Tipping Point was pulling in the numbers. This Morning should be revamped and renamed and moved to lunchtime and Judge Rinder should be on after Jezza.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    They'll be doing that full time in 4 weeks.

Hardly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Hardly.

Well they won't be working for ITV again, that's for sure.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure the Bake Off will keep them busy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    Absolutely spot about Sue. Her attempts at humour and to improvise a gag, or go off the beaten track about something and be quirky, fail in spectacular fashion. Pure tumble weed moments.

That is harsh.
    Sue Perkins is v funny - radio, tv - this stuff, panel shows, travelogues

I understand criticism and I'm here to complainand praise but I had to say that.
    And this.
    I absolutely love this show - It's LL again and I love the two of them.
    It's chaotic and wonderful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Hopefully C4.
    ITV is quite frankly an awful, awful channel. oh wait
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Yes - they would be suited to a 10.30pm slot, and let their hair down a bit more. With guests like Jo Brand, Dr Christian Jesson - who knows what would have been said!! :p

I would guarantee that Ms Brand would be saying the same things she has been saying for the past 35 years - how she gets to be called a comedienne is beyond me.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been years since any female comedian welcomed being called a 'comedienne'.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    good god this is the most awful I've ever seen on tv in a long time.

I cant stand they way they are unconsciously touchy feely with each other - I've cringed at this - does anyone remember Mels 'you've never been to me and i'm a Pole' comment to that explorer?

Mel also his a whispery high pitched voice when asking questions again so irritating, and I wish they'd stop slapping their thighs or hands every time they say something - the One Show presenters are guilty of this also.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member

Ooh yes please! This and Britain's Best Dish are the only cookery shows I feel inclined to watch, there are certainly far too many cookery programmes spread across the various channels.
    Haven't watched Mel & Sue as they are people who leave me cold. I stopped watching ' Bake off' because of them, I felt they were totally unnecessary on Bake Off.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been years since any female comedian welcomed being called a 'comedienne'.
    :blush:
    If there were any funny one's we could call them comedians ...
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush:
    If there were any funny one's we could call them comedians ...
    That old chestnut. There are certainly more male comedians than female but there are plenty of good female comedians, for example:

Jo Brand
    Jo Caulfield
    Sara Pascoe
    Catherine Tate
    Sarah Milican
    Holly Walsh
    Zoe Lyons

The thing is, any time you mention a comedian's name here someone will always say "they aren't funny". That's subjective opinion. Objectively speaking they all have successful careers making people laugh on stage and on TV.