Are you looking foward to Aiden/Chris Romance?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
Forum Member
✭✭
so glad that this is about to happen...we have already seen Chris accept his sexuality and over the coming weeks as he recovers from his accident romance blossoms between him and nurse Aidan.

I am looking forward to this, all of a sudden Neighbours is stronger than ever at the moment..

Comments

• big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris was so funny in the hospital today. Should be a good story tho I'm a bit surprised Neighbours are doing it.

Won't it cause quite a bit of controversy down under?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris was hilarious today! I'm looking forward to his new relationship
  • lovejerseyshorelovejerseyshore Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Aiden reminds me of mogli (sp) in the jungle book!
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbours is ready now for this Storyline, the show is in a strong place once again...
  • rocketsaladrocketsalad Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this relationship to start just because I'm curious to see how the show will handle a gay couple. I hope they don't give in to pressure from groups like H&A did, it's about time Chris had a nice man
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    I loved Chris today, I laughed so much when he said he was responsible for the tattoo of Pickles and saying who his top 4 people are and Natasha being his best friend, shame she wasn't there.

I hope they treat the relationship the same way that they treat the others, but I read a interview a few months ago which said Chris was shy and I thought that was their way of telling us not to expect much more than possible hand holding. I hope they surprise us and not back down.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris was so funny in the hospital today. Should be a good story tho I'm a bit surprised Neighbours are doing it.

Australian TV showed a gay male kiss on the lips in 1972 (on 'Chequerboard') had a gay male couple in 'Number 96' starting March 1972, a gay male couple in the first year of 'The Box' (1974). Police drama 'Homicide' had an episode ('Why all the fuss?', 1975) about gay bashing. The first three episodes of police drama 'Cop Shop' (1977) featured gay characters including a schoolboy, played by Andrew McKaige, who came out to his detective father. Later, there was a gay male regular character in GP (1989-1996), a male to male kiss in GP in 1990, a gay male character the entire run of 'The Secret Life of Us' (2000-2005). Aust TV also showed a male to male kiss on 'Dance Academy' in 2010, and showed a male to male kiss on 'Sea Patrol' in 2011. Most of these programmmes had an 8.30 pm start time, though 'The Box' was on at 9.00 pm, and 'Dance Academy' screens at 5.30 pm. [Much of this is easily viewed on youtube, by the way.]

Some of the earlier ones might have caused controversy, but by the time of 'The Box', this sort of thing was already old news on Australian TV. One of the gay male characters from 'Number 96' (Don, played by Joe Hasham OAM) was extremely popular and lasted the show's entire run. The gay male character Lee Whiteman on 'The Box' was immensely popular, and the actor Paul Karo won a Logie award for the role (in 1976).

People here keep talking about the supposed 'Home and Away' controversy about Charlie's lesbian romance, but as far as I can tell, that was all down to a single article in 'The Australian', which claimed one kiss had been censored. (There were several subsequent news reports, but as far as I can tell, all were just reworded versions of the first article, with "The Australian claimed" tacked on at the end.) Anyway Seven denied that they censored the kiss, and apparently two different female to female kisses did go to air. But since then the whole story has just caught on and people now seem to believe that Seven cut the storyline short due to complaints. The original story didn't even claim that. If someone can actually find a news article where someone from one of these pressure groups explicitly complains about the show's lesbian content I'd love to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/5085160/Australia-shocked-by-lesbian-kiss-on-Home-and-Away.html
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Chris was hilarious today! I'm looking forward to his new relationship

Yes it was great when he was so "on a high"! I was half expecting him to comment on how cute the nurse was.

I had heard that Chris is going to have a relationship with another man, but I didn't realise it was going to be the nurse! It makes it even more suitable if it's with him :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As long as it wasnt showing him kissing his didgeridoo it shouldnt be a problem;):D
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    They are good together but I hope we see more of aiden as a character in his own right
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    They are good together but I hope we see more of aiden as a character in his own right

Aiden needs to pal up with Jade (their giggly scenes together when Mal got jealous were loads of fun) and compare notes on their respective beaus.
  • Vanessa73Vanessa73 Posts: 7,330
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah! When does the storyline start? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be far off for the UK since a few things have already happened, Aus pace.

Obviously it is a soap, so things are still 'brewing', but some of the Chris and Aiden (and Lucas and Tash) scenes have been a riot.

Love your 'location' Vanessa.
  • Vanessa73Vanessa73 Posts: 7,330
    Forum Member

Obviously it is a soap, so things are still 'brewing', but some of the Chris and Aiden (and Lucas and Tash) scenes have been a riot.

Thanks! I'm a huge Emmett fan! :D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen some of it at Aus pace and absoloutely love the Aiden/Chris/Tash dynamic. Lucas has been great too :D.

I love Chris. I loved him even before he became a regular and only appeared when Summer had an Andrew related problem that she wanted him to listen too...:rolleyes:
    So I'm just looking forward to him having a happy storyline after firstly all the problems with his father and then getting bashed. I've liked Aiden too from what little we've seen of him so I'm looking forward to learning more about him. I have no idea what they'll be like as a couple but we've never really seen Chris in a relationship before (I don't count Summer because as doped up Chris said himself 'I don't like girls':D) so it'll be interesting to explore that side of him.
    Forum Member
    Well Aus pace is four weeks away and nothing serious has happened between them yet, but it appears to be a storyline thats brewing for awhile. I really hope that they keep Aiden on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Aus pace is four weeks away and nothing serious has happened between them yet, but it appears to be a storyline thats brewing for awhile. I really hope that they keep Aiden on.

I must admit it is a little frustrating (which answers the OP question). But of course no soap is going to deliver the goods this quickly: it is the nature of soaps to drag things out to build suspense.

I bloody hope they keep Aiden on. Don't know if I'm just biased but I like him and find his scenes entertaining. I hope they keep him on longer than the (I believe) originally planned six months and involve him in a range of stories and character interactions.

Some have said he is bland and has little chemistry with Chris, but by golly I find him more interesting animated and appealing than the Sophie Summer and Kate, who I personally dislike.
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more about him being better than Kate, Summer and Sophie. He isn't really bland, we're still getting to know him. I think putting him in the hospital was a really good idea because we get to see him with Karl and Rhys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aus pace spoilers for Wednesday and Thursday this week look promising. I'll definitely be watching. By golly shouldn't I have grown out of this sort of thing by now?
    Forum Member
    Aus pace spoilers for Wednesday and Thursday this week look promising. I'll definitely be watching. By golly shouldn't I have grown out of this sort of thing by now?

I cannot believe how long we've had to wait since their last scenes together! I suppose to the writers Callum putting leaflets in papers is a lot more interesting than a blossoming romance between two guys! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Aiden reminds me of mogli (sp) in the jungle book!

look for the bear necessities :D,

and he was the lad in H&A
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe how long we've had to wait since their last scenes together! I suppose to the writers Callum putting leaflets in papers is a lot more interesting than a blossoming romance between two guys! :D

The pause in the Chris-Aidan story does not seem too excessive but rather the standard downtime as storylines are rotated. I mean, I feel like I've seen five minutes of Paul Robinson over the previous month. Not much of Susan either.

When Chris played a support role in a short storyline of Andrew shooting a music video I first thought 'oh now they've just re-deployed Chris as a generic body in someone else's storyline.' Then it occured to me: at least they are being equitable and not discriminating against the gay character: everyone else has the misfortune of playing second fiddle in someone else's (inferior) storyline, so I guess it was Chris's turn.
  • Anti StaticAnti Static Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying this storyline and finding it quite sweet to watch. I don't think we should expect too much in the way of romantic scenes though.

This is what Neighbours executive producer Susan Bower had to say: clicky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this storyline and finding it quite sweet to watch. I don't think we should expect too much in the way of romantic scenes though.

This is what Neighbours executive producer Susan Bower had to say: clicky

Susan Bower has a habit of making ridiculous statements, and to me they smack of her establishing an 'alibi' so that later if anyone complains about the story, she can absolve herself of responsibility and place the blame where it really belongs: with the 'fans'.

She always uses the excuse that they only did [whatever it was] that way because otherwise fans would complain. She did the same routine with the Parkers saying 'damned if you do damned if you don't'.

If you scroll up I have listed some of the gay male kisses that have gone to air on Australian TV over the last forty years. One of the more recent ones, on 'Dance Academy', went to air nationally (and was later repeated) in 2010 at 5.30 pm. There were no complaints and there was no backlash that I am aware of. So Susan Bower frankly does not know what she is talking about and I think the (lack of) reaction to 'Dance Academy' is more persuasive that Bower's self-serving nonsense.

Luckily she has gone now so won't be influencing 'Neighbours' in the future, and I hope we won't be hearing from her again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Chris is one of my favourite characters, and i am so happy he's getting a boyfriend. I have really liked Aiden since he first appeared, even though he was mostly in the background, just saying one or two lines.
    I think they will make such a lovely couple. I just hope Aiden gets to be a character in his own right and has his own storylines as well. Really looking forward to their romance.