BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Peter Allen, Mark Poubatch, Eleanor Oldroyd head and shoulders above the overpaid dross on radio5dead. Needs mayo and worricker back.
    And what about the bbc continuing to engage people who continue to work and supportv the output of 5s main rival talksport? Such as pleat holland henk potts david beuwick, gab marcottie etc.

Bacon has that awful bloke on from Heat magazine or Chav Weekly who also works for Talksport. Bacon went into a rant about how thick Talksport listeners are one week when he was on.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. I find it really annoying when they cut someone off to go to the bloody Cricket. If anyone is really bothered about the Cricket they can listen to it live. I don't see the obsession Radio 5 have with breaking up conversations to listen to some idiot presenter telling us about how many runs have been scored since the last boring conversation 5 minutes previous.

As others have also pointed out they often go live to some press conference where we have to put up with some translator trying to speak in English to cover some euro topic. Why don't they just record it and then get their political reporter to summarise it?

Radio 5 are terrible at doing this, especially when they've got something being discussed that is quite interesting.

thanks to IanF for the first post on this and to you two Franchise and Rodney also for the discuss and support - sometimes I think maybe it's just me that gets annoyed by the stupid things they do - reassuring that it's not after all....

.....there's some good stuff for sure on the station and we've said so...drive is pretty OK but still has interrupts as we've said....
    we don't want to bash it really we write this stuff actually because we care about it and would like it to be better.......

def the cricket wickets are unecessary to totally interrupt interview it's daft...we can hang on a few mins...
    die hard fans probably on 5 xtra or the other channel anyway so if we get a delayed report it's hardly earth shattering...
    .....and with the web and rolling news on BBC24 and SKY it really isn't vital to get the news on the dot of every hour......

i have no idea if it's some bizarre licence remit that they have to do it but if so then.....

so many times they do it -
    why the hell do they always start these things with less than 3 minutes to go before the 'o' clock news ?:confused:

.....they can pad out till news or go slightly early then they could have so many more interesting interviews after the news when they have a good 20 minutes spare.......

unfortunately they only seem to ever make time for this when its a pointless waffle theorising about some football scenario or one of vicky D's dreary articles....

continuation of aston martin on breakfast was "our fave cars" yesterday....RB again jumping up and down saying DB5...don't think she knows what one is like really guess she saw Skyfall and that's why she keeps hollering like a 3 year old........

i'm still in stitches by the way that her show is apparently "fannycentric" :eek:which is genius and bloody hilarious........and top marks to Lone Drinker for vickywatch....keep it up :):D the delay in her computer was probably because it's in Manchester and she's pressed remote access in London.... :p

the livesey show wednesday had some ridiculous quiz between the football pundits on the theme of snow.....absolute drivel if on cbbc....on late night show was just a pit of despair.... :(

and totally agree on previous comments on the world service - Worricker who i disliked when on there but I now realise I was wrong and he was a consummate broadcaster and they should have him and Fi back on,....

but don't think they fit the image of the station now....so no chance there....:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bacon has that awful bloke on from Heat magazine or Chav Weekly who also works for Talksport. Bacon went into a rant about how thick Talksport listeners are one week when he was on.

University dropout Bacon is no mastermind himself.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »

so many times they do it -
    why the hell do they always start these things with less than 3 minutes to go before the 'o' clock news ?:confused:
    ..:(

I agree
    I always feel sorry for whoever is waiting to be interviewed on Wake up to Money. I imagine they get up really early and sometimes they get less than a minute with previous conversations over-running. I enjoy the program but they try and cram too much into it
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    I agree
    I always feel sorry for whoever is waiting to be interviewed on Wake up to Money. I imagine they get up really early and sometimes they get less than a minute with previous conversations over-running. I enjoy the program but they try and cram too much into it

but invariably the wake up to money guests will also be staying on to appear on the Today prog later on.
    Wake Up To Money is co presented from Salford and NBH, so the guests are there in London anyway.
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but invariably the wake up to money guests will also be staying on to appear on the Today prog later on.
    Wake Up To Money is co presented from Salford and NBH, so the guests are there in London anyway.

That may be so but it doesn't justify them only getting 30 seconds sometimes
    I agree that they do try and put to many topics on
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    There are actually 2 different jingles.

One is played most hours, which explains the cost of texting.

The other plays during phone in hours, and also has call costs.

And by the same token, calling any radio station from a mobile will rarely be free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan last night over inflated sense of his own self importance incredulous that no one from British Airways would come on & speak to him live.....why?:confused:

I don't know the full details of the whole debacle but I would assume they don't control the snow & I know they have absolutely no control over air traffic & runway clearing that will be Swanage & BAA respectively.....

now they may very well have messed up but i would hope they would be 100% focused on trying to get flights moving & releasing statements not ideal but quite what purpose it serves talking on radio to him when people in airport won't be listening anyway is a mystery....

if it's a cock up they can pore over it in the light of day......
    but the arrogance he showed expecting BA to meet his request when I hope they were frantically trying to sort things was surprising to say the least....
    if they didn't do that either then it's more grist for him later then so he wins anyway...

.I expect he's more worried about getting home in the week more like.....ahh well another night in a hotel & meals out then? not to worry someone will pick that Bill up....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That may be so but it doesn't justify them only getting 30 seconds sometimes
    I agree that they do try and put to many topics on

it is just very poor production & editorial planning to squeeze them in...the today guests do get longer..I wouldn't expect it to follow a R4 format but the guests would still be on R4 for similar time a few more minutes in 5 live wouldn't affect it.....

with message boards shut now theres little avenues to suggest this to them really directly...it's not as if they don't do these shows every day you'd think they could work out rough timings by now.....
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about the bbc continuing to engage people who continue to work and supportv the output of 5s main rival talksport? Such as pleat holland henk potts david beuwick, gab marcottie etc.

I don't see there being any problem with Radio 5 Live calling upon people who are also heard on talkSPORT, so long as they are relevant to the output in question. None of the names mentioned are contracted to talkSPORT, all are freelancers and so who can blame them for accumulating as much work as possible?

On the individual cases, David Pleat has never worked for talkSPORT. I never listen to these shows but I believe he is a regular on 5 Live's Monday Night Club and their Sunday teatime 5 Live Sport discussion section and he also co-commentates for them on occasion, so is pretty central to their football coverage. Matt Holland is the perfect example of a footballer who was clever in building up a relationship with the media during his playing career; as such he's not been short of work since retiring and can been seen/heard on Final Score, talkSPORT, 5 Live and Today FM in Ireland among others. I understand that Gabriele Marcotti was signed up to some kind of exclusive radio agreement with 5 Live during the end of Moz Dee's managerial tenure there in the late 2000s; since Dee moved to talkSPORT he's made occasional appearances on both stations. Henk Potts and David Buick are financial experts who offer their analysis on a wide variety of platforms including BBC News and the various ITN bulletins. I presume Rodney is referring to Sam Delaney, seeing as he is a former editor of Heat who now presents the editions of The Sports Bar Andy Goldstein can't on talkSPORT and used to co-host Eamonn Holmes' old Saturday morning show on 5 Live. He's freelance and tends to pop up as a talking head on those BBC Three/Channel 4 compilation shows.

On Richard Bacon's comments about those of us who listen to talkSPORT - if what you say is accurate (and not clearly said in jest), it's pretty odd that he'd choose to say those things when in the company of a current talkSPORT presenter. Perhaps he's seen the how Hawksbee & Jacobs' listening figures (a show that Sam Delaney covers on sometimes) have improved over the past couple of years?
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and a show that goes out at the same time as his !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and a show that goes out at the same time as his !

Bingo.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,283
    Forum Member
    The callers cannot be surprised that Robbie Savage thinks its ok to foul people...
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting very predictable 6-0-6

It's turning into the Robbie Savage Show.

He says something each week and then outraged of Tunbridge Wells bites and it takes over the all show.

Chapman sits and claps like a seal alongside him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see there being any problem with Radio 5 Live calling upon people who are also heard on talkSPORT, so long as they are relevant to the output in question. None of the names mentioned are contracted to talkSPORT, all are freelancers and so who can blame them for accumulating as much work as possible?

On the individual cases, David Pleat has never worked for talkSPORT. I never listen to these shows but I believe he is a regular on 5 Live's Monday Night Club and their Sunday teatime 5 Live Sport discussion section and he also co-commentates for them on occasion, so is pretty central to their football coverage. Matt Holland is the perfect example of a footballer who was clever in building up a relationship with the media during his playing career; as such he's not been short of work since retiring and can been seen/heard on Final Score, talkSPORT, 5 Live and Today FM in Ireland among others. I understand that Gabriele Marcotti was signed up to some kind of exclusive radio agreement with 5 Live during the end of Moz Dee's managerial tenure there in the late 2000s; since Dee moved to talkSPORT he's made occasional appearances on both stations. Henk Potts and David Buick are financial experts who offer their analysis on a wide variety of platforms including BBC News and the various ITN bulletins. I presume Rodney is referring to Sam Delaney, seeing as he is a former editor of Heat who now presents the editions of The Sports Bar Andy Goldstein can't on talkSPORT and used to co-host Eamonn Holmes' old Saturday morning show on 5 Live. He's freelance and tends to pop up as a talking head on those BBC Three/Channel 4 compilation shows.

On Richard Bacon's comments about those of us who listen to talkSPORT - if what you say is accurate (and not clearly said in jest), it's pretty odd that he'd choose to say those things when in the company of a current talkSPORT presenter. Perhaps he's seen the how Hawksbee & Jacobs' listening figures (a show that Sam Delaney covers on sometimes) have improved over the past couple of years?

David Buick & Henk Potts are on LBC every morning alternately they work for themselves or for merchant banks_ if a Barclays story is on David will do it as Henk works for them so no conflict of interest
  • fox on the runfox on the run Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    The callers cannot be surprised that Robbie Savage thinks its ok to foul people...

I don't get his argument that because things have 'always happened in football' it makes it OK...but perhaps he is just saying it to get people outraged.
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member

I've heard those comments and always taken them as a bit of an in-joke. TalkSport had a fairly frequent pop at Radio 5 Live for not doing enough news in Richard Bacon's show - which seems harsh given the rest of the schedule is very news and sport heavy - which went all the way to the BBC Trust.

I get that most listeners wouldn't get that connotation, but even then it can be taken at simple piss-taking rivalry, a welcome bit of light relief against the phone-in's angry callers and mid-morning's relentless stream of people who've been through hell, surely?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

He says something each week and then outraged of Tunbridge Wells bites and it takes over the all show.

It's probably a toss up between Savage and Micky Quinn as to who's the thickest "presenter" on national radio. My vote goes to Gobby Cabbage.
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chapman sits and claps like a seal alongside him.

But you're listening to 606, and you're reacting to Robbie Savage.

You're a programme controller's dream.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well to balance things up.....

I must be a programme controllers nightmare because whenever I even hear the name ' Robbie Savage ' mentioned on radio my immediate response........ is to switch off ! Thats how I react !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    I've heard those comments and always taken them as a bit of an in-joke. TalkSport had a fairly frequent pop at Radio 5 Live for not doing enough news in Richard Bacon's show - which seems harsh given the rest of the schedule is very news and sport heavy - which went all the way to the BBC Trust.

So he slates talkSPORT on-air on a regular basis? How times have changed. Ten years ago it used to be the case that certain talkSPORT presenters would slate 5 Live on their shows, while 5 Live would never mention their rival. The opposite seems to be the case these days - I can't remember the last time I heard an unflattering reference to 5 Live on talkSPORT yet a number of 5 Live presenters "have form" for slagging off talkSPORT in recent times.

As for talkSPORT's "fairly frequent" pop at Bacon's show - the pretty to the BBC Trust you allude to is pretty much all that amounted to (which while I'm not sure what UTV Radio were hoping to gain from it, I didn't think the points they highlighted in the wider report were massively unreasonable). The criticism never left the boardroom, it wasn't something highlighted on-air as far as I'm aware so I'm not sure why Bacon has decided to insult the talkSPORT listeners and by association the presenters who broadcast to them. Personally I'm not a fan of hearing presenters slate rival stations, I find it a bit petty and unbecoming of them.
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    I get that most listeners wouldn't get that connotation, but even then it can be taken at simple piss-taking rivalry, a welcome bit of light relief against the phone-in's angry callers and mid-morning's relentless stream of people who've been through hell, surely?

I wouldn't know - if I'm listening at that time of day, it'll be as part of Hawksbee & Jacobs' ever-growing audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I switched off until SE started actually
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched off until SE started actually

So you're having a go at a show you don't listen to?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    So he slates talkSPORT on-air on a regular basis?

No, I've only heard him do it once when there was a particular guest on, which was funny enough as a one-off joke.

If it was regular I wouldn't find it a particularly good idea either. When I've been in charge of any media organisation then I've treated it as if our rival doesn't exist. The punters don't really care, and if they're buying/listening to us then they really don't care about the other side.

If you're not a fan of Bacon, fair enough. There's an excellent selection of presenters on at that time of the day, probably the best of any daypart. By all accounts Hawksbee and Jacobs are great presenters, so fair enough. I'm just not interested enough in non-stop chat about English football, so it's not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    So you're having a go at a show you don't listen to?

No, I listened to it until that caller picked up on Savages' comments about the Derby - Forest game and then when the guy claiming to be a professional coach rang in, thats when I switched off.

Savage was right imo, Ashley Cole did it today
This discussion has been closed.