Anyone got a hornby railway layout setup?

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've had one since the age of 5 years old that's goes on a metal base frame, it' aprrox 7ft x 4ft. I had to take it down when i moved house and no where to put it back up but now i am in a flat and had a clearout this week (sort of :o) i feel the urge to rebuild it back up over the winter and modernise it a bit, maybe some new tracks as i think it's past the best what's on the board now.

Need to find a hornby train dealer so i can replace the old tracks for a new set.

I have the urge to bring out the kid in me again, i know people in there 70's & 80's that have a train layout especially in a loft.

:)

Comments

• OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love model train sets too. Does that make me a nerd? :o

I want to get the Virgin Pendalino Hornby set, it's so cute. :)
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, hubby has one , he goes to a little shop in Horwich to get his train things etc.It called Trains & Diecast .
    Also in Preston Transport Models on Strand Road in Oyston Mill is pretty good. Both shops are knowlegdeable or so i`m informed lol
    Hubby is also on a few forums , if you want links let me know & i`ll get them for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did have a selection of hornby but I have no surviving track now and only one train, I have a steam engine called "smokey Joe" somewhere but I managed to lose it.

The original plan was to get a layout built a few years ago, but my parents never did keep to their word :(

It is a very expensive hobby though, to get a decent layout you need to spend a few grand easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    My employers have a very big train set that they pay me to come in and operate it, our trains even carry people and go under the streets of London! I guess i'm overcompensating for fact that hornby intercity 125 train set my parents never bought me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah I spent too much time dodging the real thing to have any interest in train sets. A train going past you at 90mph and only about 6-8'' from your face makes you see 'em in a slightly different light. :D:cool:
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was really into trains when I was a boy but we never had the space for a decent layout. My youngest son was into them a few years ago so we built a layout on an 8' by 4' board, which I managed to rig up by setting it on hinges so it could be folded up against the wall. It has been a work in progress for years really but we've built some buildings and scenery for it and parts of it look really good. Maybe we'll do some more work on it this winter.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to build one for my son when he's older :) Model railways have always fascinated me.

I know that's no help to the OP, just wanted to say :D
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a quite a collection of 'N' gauge (Graham Farish) steam locomotives along with various carriages wagons etc...

Sadly I have nowhere I could realistically set it up although I did think an outdoor layout might be fun.

I also have a couple of the Mamod 'O' gauge live steam trains and carriages along with around 200 meters of track, points etc.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoopy33 wrote: »
    Hi, hubby has one , he goes to a little shop in Horwich to get his train things etc.It called Trains & Diecast .
    Also in Preston Transport Models on Strand Road in Oyston Mill is pretty good. Both shops are knowlegdeable or so i`m informed lol
    Hubby is also on a few forums , if you want links let me know & i`ll get them for you.

Yeah can you pm me a forum links

thanks ;)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    prakb wrote: »
    My employers have a very big train set that they pay me to come in and operate it, our trains even carry people and go under the streets of London! I guess i'm overcompensating for fact that hornby intercity 125 train set my parents never bought me

Watch the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ICcOu0NkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwYZ0z-ti2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_UP-PuNPT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMbLxqksBw

etc.
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hornby trains now outclassed by Bachmann. (Hornby trains are now manufactured in Bachmann's Chinese factories).

Model railways are no longer a childs toy thing, they are serious models (a good steam loco can cost well over £100).

Having said that, any OO train will run on any OO track - in many cases if you are rebuilding a layout it would be best to look at alternative track to the Hornby set track.

Go into WH Smiths and look at the various model railway magazines and see what's available, and where from.

Or you could go the whole hog, like me, and build a true scale model from scratch - mine is a P4 layout (train bodies are to same 4mm/ft scale that 00 is, but track is correct scale width (18.83mm, as opposed to the 16.5mm that 00 is). No one makes the models I wanted so I have had to build everything (track, locos, wagons and coaches) .
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phred wrote: »
    Model railways are no longer a childs toy thing, they are serious models (a good steam loco can cost well over £100)..
    Yes, my little collection of Fairish Steam Locomotives is quite valuable now.. even second hand on ebay they tend to hold their price and there's generally quite a lot of interest when some of the rarer ones come up...
  • xdaorbitxdaorbit Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I love model train sets too. Does that make me a nerd? :o

I want to get the Virgin Pendalino Hornby set, it's so cute. :)

the pendolino is fantastic i bought the pendolino set for my son for christmas 2008 he would be 6 probably too young for it but i think its great it looks great tilting into the corners with the light on
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Alexander Palace and Birmingham NEC hold good model railway exhibitions annually.

http://www.warners-exhibitions.co.uk/railway-modelling/london-festival-of-railway-modelling/default.aspx

Event passed obviously, but there will be another one next year.

http://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk