Downton Abbey Series Five Thread

Comments

• kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Versailles wrote: »
    I disagree with you. And I guess, so do the thousands of men and women, with a childhood so horrible beyond belief, and who now are loving, caring and hard working spouses and parents. My husband included.

That said, some children never stood a chance because they never learned or saw love or normal behaviour. Like Mary Bell.

Thomas would most likely have kept quiet about who he really was, and pretended to be interested in girls. So if his father was abusive (as Thomas says he was, and that Baxter says was nothing but nice to her), he most likely didnt know about Thomas' gayness. And if he did, Thomas must have been at least a teenager when he found out, and able to leave home to get work.

Some people are nasty, regardless of how they were broght up.
    However, Thomas is extremely nasty to some, and not to others, and that is peculiar.

How he treated William, how awful he was towards Bates, even trying to get him framed for theft twice. And how he is with Baxter. Not to mention what he did to poor Isis.

Then again, he liked Sybil, likes her daughter, likes Anna, and is sometimes nice without reason to others.

Of course I don't think everyone who has a difficult/abusive childhood grows up to be someone like Thomas, but IMO it does explain a lot about him - that and his struggles with being a homosexual in 1924.

Thomas has always kept quiet about his sexuality - but everyone at Downton is aware of it anyway (as they all said during the Jimmy incident) so it wouldn't surprise me if his father was well aware as well.

Thomas clearly wants respect and authority and the only way he seems to know how to achieve that is through blackmail and manipulation. He saw Bates as a rival the moment he stepped into the house and their dislike of each other is mutual. I'm disappointed we've gone back to Thomas trying to sniff out information on Bates that he can use against him, particularly after Bates helped save his job. I thought that signalled a shift in their relationship but it seems like the writers have forgotten it. Thomas is a bully and William, sadly, was an ideal target.

The fact that he isn't a dick to everyone is what makes him an interesting and complex character IMO. The few people he tends to care for are those who have shown him some kindness (and even those he tends to push away).

So yes, I can sympathise and pity someone like Thomas rather than just hate him. Doesn't mean I would like his character IRL, but I certainly find him one of the more interesting characters on Downton.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cora's mum instincts failed her when she walked into that conversation between Edith, the dowager and Rosamund. It was so shifty and Violet's face said it all. She had a lot on her mind though.

I was shouting at the tv screen "tell your mother, she will help you!!" at that point. Although at least it looks like she might tell Branson so he might be able to think of something. I do think that Cora is a bit suspicious of Violet and Rosamund's little "chats" with Edith, though. She might ferret it out of Edith yet.

Ding, dong, the witch is gone!! Yay!! Never, ever come back, Bunting.

I'm thinking that Atticus might be a smokescreen and Rose could yet end up with Tom. They look good together.

Robert walking in on Cora and the oily geek nearly gave me a heart attack :o Once he gets over his little huff I hope he realises that he does have a gem in Cora and start to respect her opinions a bit more.

All in all, a fantastic episode :)
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope that is the end of Bunting. Good grief, "I love you," she says, and yet looked like a cat who had been fed sour cream all its life and sounded like one. What's to love about her? There was one thing Tom loved about Sybil: her natural ability to care for all people regardless of class. She was saw their humanity and wasn't such a stuffed shirt. Lord, fancy waking up and laying in bed with Bunting and the first to wake up to is her scratchy voice laying into the class war. Day in, day out; night in, night out.

Also Rose. Can they not give her something to do or be other than to act out as an expositionary ornamental mouthpiece? She has a lovely personality just waiting to burst, but she is forever shoved at the peripheral. And when she is not, it is only to have her reveal some historical tit-bit JF can use of the rest of the series/episode. Last season it was introducing a piece of American goings-on: race, the black man and jazz; this season it is Russia's turn: whatever happened to the Russian aristocratic exiles? Now they have introduced a Jewish chap through her, and no doubt it is all to introduce the rising dark shadow of European fascism and their ideology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking that Atticus might be a smokescreen and Rose could yet end up with Tom. They look good together.

They do, don't they? Every time they're together on screen I think it, even if they're only in the background!

I'm not giving up hope on it yet.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Yeah that an all. I liked her in the beginning but her mannerisms are starting to wear a bit thin.

She is a rubbish actress IMO. I've been watching 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' on ch20 on Saturday afternoons and she's exactly the same - same expressions, same mannerisms, same everything. The only thing different is the costumes.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people on here thinking that Tom is going to land up with Rose it just seems so wrong to me. She was obviously intended as a substitute for Sybil in the that she very much is trying to help people and being all caring and kind. But I for one would be very disappointed if this is what Julian Fellows was intending as its too obvious. Now if we are speaking of a partner for Tom I see her more as Edith they just seem to me more right for each other. ( I am Praying for this). That's all I'm going to say on the subject.;-)

I also feel that Simpering Cora is getting more and more annoying seriously did she think that Robert would instantly forget what happened last night and let bygones be even if nothing happened she did not stop it heading that way when it was clear from the start.>:(

As for Marys tedious storyline I really am bored with it. Along with Bates and Anna who I cease caring about around series 2. :p

PS So happy Bunting is gone when Tom said to Mary he had a decision to make I really thought he was going to go with her.:)
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I cant stand Carson , he is the biggest snob of them all

That was a sign of the times. He was at the top of the, "Downstairs" hierarchy. Everyone was meant to know their place, in those days ;-)
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi im new to this thread and haven't read it all. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with Barrows ? Much thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Trying to figure out what will be the big dramatic climax storyline before they leave us salivating for the christmas special.

I can see the farmer's wife running off with Marigold and Edith in hot pursuit !! A thought…… if Tom married Edith, would it be respectable and acceptable to then "adopt" a child !! The pair of them are just there like spare parts, and it looks like he is going to help her from next week. Maybe something forms between them and they realise they could be good for each other.

Or maybe Tom realizing that Edith could never bring the child into the house as a single woman does the gentlemanly thing and offers to marry her as a way of keeping Marigold. We could then have an ongoing storyline as they push forward as a family, not knowing how they really feel about each other, and suddenly the baby daddy shows up !!

WHO CARES who killed Greene…. seriously….. WHO CARES…. enough of this !!!

I think Blake's plan will work….. ex fiancee will re claim GIllingham, and he will then whisk Mary up the aisle.

Cora should tell that stuffed shirt of a husband of hers to bugger off….. or start appreciating whats under his nose.

Yah! Edith For Tom.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Hi im new to this thread and haven't read it all. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with Barrows ? Much thanks.

Its appears he is taking some drug to cure himself of being gay.;-)
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A packed episode that really sets up the next three weeks. A few random thoughts:

- Tom was lucky Sarah Bunting decided to leave so he doesn't have to bump into her. What's been interesting about this is that Tom hasn't shown the slightest romantic interest in her. It's been all about politics and social status.

- Charles Blake is a nice, intelligent man with a roguish streak. Mary seems to smile a lot when she's with him. we know she likes a challenge and Blake is someone

- Loved Edith and Rosamund visiting Marigold. "Sorry to interrupt. I'm sure you're very busy," says Rosamund and then continues regardless. The privileged in action.

- Edith is reaching breaking point. And now she has to worry about what "games" her parents were playing:o. Poor girl.

- Isobel seems to be trying out what it would be like to be Lady Merton (without the trip to Liverpool). I love seeing Violet with her nose out of joint.

- The introduction of a suitor with Jewish heritage introduces an interesting strand. Lots of support for the Nazis among the upper classes as we move towards the Second World War (it's a long way off and Downton won't get there but there's potential to explore anti-semitism among the upper echelons).

- we have a proper detective at last. These policemen must be racking up some overtime as they only ask a handful of questions per visit. If they don't speed up all the suspects will be dead and buried.

- Daisy stepping out of serfdom must be the biggest shock for Carson in this era of change. Mrs P ignoring his advice (sensible woman) was marvellous, too.

- Thomas's storyline gets more interesting each week. I dislike him but I sympathise as he gets himself in deeper and deeper. And he takes his distress out on others. Hmm.
  • Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    If Anna gets arrested we will have to watch all those prison scenes from series 3 in reverse. Please don't do it to us. I wish Anna could be happy for 5 minutes.

She is doomed to be even more unhappy, when her husband finds Mary's contraception thingy in their room :D

Not a spoiler - just a likely storyline ! They are trying for a family & Anna would never divulge Mary's 'sordid' secret ;-)
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its appears he is taking some drug to cure himself of being gay.;-)

Thanks. I thought he might have syphilis when he was trying to hide the box in his bedroom. Can I just say I really detest Mr Bates.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is doomed to be even more unhappy, when her husband finds Mary's contraception thingy in their room :D

Not a spoiler - just a likely storyline ! They are trying for a family & Anna would never divulge Mary's 'sordid' secret ;-)

I have to say, I much prefer watching Bates and Anna suffer than when they're happy. They were excruciating in the 2012 Christmas Special when they scampered around the Highlands simpering at one other.

In series 1, I though they were the emotional heart of the programme. Series 2 I liked too, but since then.... to me they only work as suffering characters. The odd moment of happiness is fine (like last night) but only if misery is around the corner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought he might have syphilis when he was trying to hide the box in his bedroom. Can I just say I really detest Mr Bates.

I feel that way about certain other characters too.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About Tom's romatic "options":

Edith - no sorry, I don't see it. I love Edith, but I can't see any man who was madly in love with Sybil, fall for Edith. It's just night and day. Sybil was optimistic, positive and forceful, Edith is struggling, depressed and soldiering on, but never happy or positive.

To me that would feel as if Julian Fellows will only pair them, because they're the "leftovers". The only two people of marriageable age who don't have found someone better. For me that is a depressing thought.

Also, even though the have been friendly with each other, I never saw any particular connection between them. Tom is interested in her well being and Edith showed practical support when he was newly widowed, but that was it.

Mary - yes, I know it has been denied from the actors repeatedly, because they're brother and sister in law, but the same applies for Edith. And I also think that Michelle Dockery and Allen Leech have no idea if JF is going to take it there or not. They always say that they don't know what is going to happen to their characters in the long run.

So I personally, won't rule it any more out than Edith and IMO characterwise it would make more sense than Edith. It puzzles me how warm and genuine Mary is in her scenes with Tom. We had those "late night" talks three episodes in a row now and these scenes are the only scenes where Mary is not wearing a mask IMO and where she doesn't present herself as the society Lady.

I don't get reallly the impression of romantic chemistry here, more of genuine friendship, but what I do see is a very honest and unpretentious relationship and I wonder if Julian Fellows just likes this friendship very much (I do) and that's the reason why he puts in theses scenes, or if he is leading them to something more in S6?

Rose - I like Rose and I do see a lot of Sybil in her. She is so friendly and nice and always optimistic. She doesn't see class or race or religion, she treats everyone the same way. She is a bit shallow still, but she has matured and I could absolutely see Tom falling for her. She would make him smile again and I do think he normally he SHOULD be attracted to her warm and passionate personality, because she is so much like Sybil. It's not that people usually fall for completely different types, but usually when they fall in love again, they seek for certain personality treats in their partners.

someone completely new - good idea, too, but if that will be the case, why haven't we met her yet? He was widowed way before Mary. There was a man shortage in England at that time. He's a nice man with a good job and good connections, it is unrealistic that we see 3 suitors appearing for Mid-30 Mary and not one suitable Middleclass woman, who is after Tom.

Why has Tom been kept busy with awful women and boring storylines that lead to nothing and could have been told in much lesser time?

That is what puzzles me. IMO there must be a reason why Tom is kept on the shelf for so long . My impression is he is only kept "busy" with those OTT wrong love interests no one would ever start to root for and his ongoing "will I go to America" storyline, because he is supposed to end up with one of the three young Ladies of the house in the end.

Which brings us back to the initial question: Who will it be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andorra wrote: »
    About Tom's romatic "options":

Edith - no sorry, I don't see it. I love Edith, but I can't see any man who was madly in love with Sybil, fall for Edith. It's just night and day. Sybil was optimistic, positive and forceful, Edith is struggling, depressed and soldiering on, but never happy or positive.

To me that would feel as if Julian Fellows will only pair them, because they're the "leftovers". The only two people of marriageable age who don't have found someone better. For me that is a depressing thought.

Also, even though the have been friendly with each other, I never saw any particular connection between them. Tom is interested in her well being and Edith showed practical support when he was newly widowed, but that was it.

Mary - yes, I know it has been denied from the actors repeatedly, because they're brother and sister in law, but the same applies for Edith. And I also think that Michelle Dockery and Allen Leech have no idea if JF is going to take it there or not. They always say that they don't know what is going to happen to their characters in the long run.

So I personally, won't rule it any more out than Edith and IMO characterwise it would make more sense than Edith. It puzzles me how warm and genuine Mary is in her scenes with Tom. We had those "late night" talks three episodes in a row now and these scenes are the only scenes where Mary is not wearing a mask IMO and where she doesn't present herself as the society Lady.

I don't get reallly the impression of romantic chemistry here, more of genuine friendship, but what I do see is a very honest and unpretentious relationship and I wonder if Julian Fellows just likes this friendship very much (I do) and that's the reason why he puts in theses scenes, or if he is leading them to something more in S6?

Rose - I like Rose and I do see a lot of Sybil in her. She is so friendly and nice and always optimistic. She doesn't see class or race or religion, she treats everyone the same way. She is a bit shallow still, but she has matured and I could absolutely see Tom falling for her. She would make him smile again and I do think he normally he SHOULD be attracted to her warm and passionate personality, because she is so much like Sybil. It's not that people usually fall for completely different types, but usually when they fall in love again, they seek for certain personality treats in their partners.

someone completely new - good idea, too, but if that will be the case, why haven't we met her yet? He was widowed way before Mary. There was a man shortage in England at that time. He's a nice man with a good job and good connections, it is unrealistic that we see 3 suitors appearing for Mid-30 Mary and not one suitable Middleclass woman, who is after Tom.

Why has Tom been kept busy with awful women and boring storylines that lead to nothing and could have been told in much lesser time?

That is what puzzles me. IMO there must be a reason why Tom is kept on the shelf for so long . My impression is he is only kept "busy" with those OTT wrong love interests no one would ever start to root for and his ongoing "will I go to America" storyline, because he is supposed to end up with one of the three young Ladies of the house in the end.

Which brings us back to the initial question: Who will it be?
    If it is Julian Fellows intention to have Tom with any of the single ladies of the house it will definitely not be Mary. I will continue to root for Edith though as she was nothing like Sybil and I think that is a good thing for him. I agree Bunting was so wrong for him.;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will continue to root for Edith though as she was nothing like Sybil and I think that is a good thing for him.

Why do you think it "a good thing for him" to be married to someone who is completely different than his former wife was? He was very happy with Sybil and he was madly in love with her, so she was obviously the right kind of woman for him.

IMO it is completely unrealistic to see Edith as a good love interest for Tom. Everything he loved in Sybil wouldn't be there. Sybil was vibrant, conffidant, caring, political and passionate. She was more active where Edith is passive. Edith is not weak (in the contrary, she stands up again and again), but she more "enduring" than demanding.

Sybil didn't see herself in the shadow. She was confident and sure of herself, Edith tries to hide and fade into the background. Did you notice her dresses this series? On tumblr there was an interesting posting that showed that all dresses of Edith often match the background. Green dress when they are in the green room, red dress when they are in the library, grey dress when she's "stalking" the Drewes etc.

In my personal experience people don't fall for a completely different type when they fall in love with another person. Usually they look for the same personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think it "a good thing for him" to be married to someone who is completely different than his former wife was? He was very happy with Sybil and he was madly in love with her, so she was obviously the right kind of woman for him.

IMO it is completely unrealistic to see Edith as a good love interest for Tom. Everything he loved in Sybil wouldn't be there. Sybil was vibrant, conffidant, caring, political and passionate. She was more active where Edith is passive. Edith is not weak (in the contrary, she stands up again and again), but she more "enduring" than demanding.

Sybil didn't see herself in the shadow. She was confident and sure of herself, Edith tries to hide and fade into the background. Did you notice her dresses this series? On tumblr there was an interesting posting that showed that all dresses of Edith often match the background. Green dress when they are in the green room, red dress when they are in the library, grey dress when she's "stalking" the Drewes etc.

In my personal experience people don't fall for a completely different type when they fall in love with another person. Usually they look for the same personality.
    Because to marry someone like Rose is to obvious IMO. And as for Edith she maybe someone who is always in the background but that is because dear Mary is always the centre of attention. I agree Sybil was the love of his life but Rose is no replacement to her and I don't like the way they are forcing us to believe she is, she does I grant you have good qualities but that should not mean that she should be with Tom. I believe Tom would be good for Edith because he has changed and become more grounded and that is someone that Edith needs not another Romeo who either jilts her at the alter or fecks off to Germany. Edith has proven she is a natural mother in the obvious devotion she has to her Daughter and Tom is the same way. Rose is more suited to someone more dashing and outgoing like herself. Anyway we will just have to wait and see what Julian Fellows has in store for Tom and Edith.;-)
    As for the stalking what do expect Marigold is her daughter after all. I just wish Mr Drew would tell his wife that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-19/is-downton-abbeys-sarah-bunting-gone-for-good
    Oh God! Are they suggesting that awful woman is coming back.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-19/is-downton-abbeys-sarah-bunting-gone-for-good
    Oh God! Are they suggesting that awful woman is coming back.:o

Don't worry.
    Daisy Lewis was away from London from June until August 14th. First filming another show in - I think - Bulgaria and then she flew directly from there to LA. She can't come back.
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. I'm loving this thread and hope somebody could answer my questions.

Are we sure Bates knows Green raped Anna? If so does Anna suspect Bates knows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Sybil was the love of his life but Rose is no replacement to her and I don't like the way they are forcing us to believe she is, she does I grant you have good qualities but that should not mean that she should be with Tom. I believe Tom would be good for Edith because he has changed and become more grounded and that is someone that Edith needs not another Romeo who either jilts her at the alter or fecks off to Germany.

I don't believe in the "love of his life" concept. I think that it is possible to love multiple times in a lifetime and that one love doesn't have to be less big than the next.

I agree that Tom would be good for Edith. From Edith's perspective Tom would be wonderful. Finally a man who cares, who would not betray her, who is honest and goodnatured and would stand up for her.

Still she doesn't love him. She loves Michael Gregson.

But from Tom's perspective Edith would be the consolation prize and I would hate that for him AND for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe in the "love of his life" concept. I think that it is possible to love multiple times in a lifetime and that one love doesn't have to be less big than the next.

I agree that Tom would be good for Edith. From Edith's perspective Tom would be wonderful. Finally a man who cares, who would not betray her, who is honest and goodnatured and would stand up for her.

Still she doesn't love him. She loves Michael Gregson.

But from Tom's perspective Edith would be the consolation prize and I would hate that for him AND for her.
    Ah yes but appears unless of course he turns up in the final episode or the Christmas special that Michael Gregson is gone for good. I would like for him to come back as I enjoyed them together but it looks like he isn't. She may not love Tom but it may come to that or may not either way it would be nice if it did.
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A packed episode that really sets up the next three weeks. A few random thoughts:

- Tom was lucky Sarah Bunting decided to leave so he doesn't have to bump into her. What's been interesting about this is that Tom hasn't shown the slightest romantic interest in her. It's been all about politics and social status.

She would appear to be the least popular character cast since the show first began. I would say a good piece of casting, as she really came across as someone viewers wouldn't take to. There certainly was no sense of physical attraction.

- Charles Blake is a nice, intelligent man with a roguish streak. Mary seems to smile a lot when she's with him. we know she likes a challenge and Blake is someone.

Well unless they're going to bring a new suitor in then he must be endgame. We know Julian Ovenden was rehearsing a play/ play opening during much of the filming of the CS but it wouldn't have been impossible for him to have filmed some scenes in London. If he doesn't appear in the CS it will be along wait between the end of ep. 8 and S6, if he is coming back. Perhaps Mary gets engaged/married quickly before the end of S5.

- Loved Edith and Rosamund visiting Marigold. "Sorry to interrupt. I'm sure you're very busy," says Rosamund and then continues regardless. The privileged in action.

- Edith is reaching breaking point. And now she has to worry about what "games" her parents were playing:o. Poor girl.

I wonder who Edith's "private" call was to. She may now attempt do a runner with the child, in view of Violet and Rosamund's plan for France. She could always go to visit Martha and a story could be concocted so she's accepted . It would appear she might confide in Tom. A little surprised he hasn't cottoned on before now with his regular visits around the estate, including Drewe's farm. Anyhow she gets shocking news in ep. 6
    must be confirmation of Michael's death

- Isobel seems to be trying out what it would be like to be Lady Merton (without the trip to Liverpool). I love seeing Violet with her nose out of joint.

- The introduction of a suitor with Jewish heritage introduces an interesting strand. Lots of support for the Nazis among the upper classes as we move towards the Second World War (it's a long way off and Downton won't get there but there's potential to explore anti-semitism among the upper echelons).

I imagine they'll only touch on this subject, as they have for previous markers in time. I think Atticus appears in the CS.

- we have a proper detective at last. These policemen must be racking up some overtime as they only ask a handful of questions per visit. If they don't speed up all the suspects will be dead and buried.

I found it hard to believe they would have resorted to putting a plain clothes officer on duty outside of Gillingham's Albany rooms. You wouldn't think that Green was that important in the scheme of things, unless there's something about him we as yet don't know. As I see Baxter is dragged into the investigation in next ep. I wondered if Coyle and Green were one in the same person.

- Daisy stepping out of serfdom must be the biggest shock for Carson in this era of change. Mrs P ignoring his advice (sensible woman) was marvellous, too.

- Thomas's storyline gets more interesting each week. I dislike him but I sympathise as he gets himself in deeper and deeper. And he takes his distress out on others. Hmm.

I've also wondered if he's not spreading malicious gossip to the police about Green's death. Drawing in both Bates and Baxter, not together but just stirring trouble.