Great films you may have missed

sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A thread dedicated to movie suggestions / recommendations of less well known films that are well worth seeing.

Comments

• sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To begin..
    King Of the Ants (great twisted revenge flick)
    Stuck (similar from the same director)
    11:14 (vantage point style flick very well done)
  • FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Primer - a time-travel film that will leave you scratching your head...I felt like Bez after watching it.

The Reef - a really realistic (I thought) shark film that provides tension, shocks and thrills.

R-Point - a South Korean take on the Vietnam war with added twists.

And for those that may not have seen them;

The Infernal Affairs Triliogy - The Departed remade Part I, they are all fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakdown - Kurt Russell

A Simple Plan

Purgatory
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    And for those that may not have seen them;

The Infernal Affairs Triliogy - The Departed remade Part I, they are all fantastic.

Yes, yes yes! I second this, legit some of my favourite films ever!
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    A couple of made for TV films.

Manhunter, prequel to Silence of the Lambs, a really really good film

Live from Baghdad film based on book of same name about CNN reporting from Baghdad during first Gulf War. Great cast.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is too irresistible for me, as a film-list geek, but I recently vowed not to make any more long film lists. I'll stick to just five for tonight. Theme: mystery of the different kind. :D

Angel Heart - an investigator is hired to track down one man in New Orleans, then things kind of go weird
    Eve's Bayou - a young girl narrates the downfall of her wealthy doctor father and family in the Deep South
    A Murder of Crows - A disbarred lawyer passes a dead friend's book off as his own and he's soon arrested for the murders of those mentioned in the book. I thought it would be a standard crime thriller, but it was way better than I expected.
    Leave Her to Heaven - a tale of a psychotic woman who's rather possessive of her new husband
    Anamorph - it unfortunately has a rather weak script, but the director really did try his best to create an unusual 1970s-feel psychological slow-burn thriller of hunting a serial killer who uses art to kill. Not quite there, but still worth seeing. It's such a shame that the script is the weakest part of the film. I'm still annoyed they didn't revise the script enough to give what it deserved, actually. But the film still needs to be seen to believe, anyway.

Bonus: Frailty :D
  • JamesdawnJamesdawn Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I did not watch the Total Recall movie which released this year. I am waiting for the day when its DVD released in the market.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Jamesdawn wrote: »
    I did not watch the Total Recall movie which released this year. I am waiting for the day when its DVD released in the market.

I'm not sure you grasped the idea of this thread :rolleyes:

But otherwise, some great suggestions. My favourite so far has been A Simple Plan, a Fargo-like thriller that outdoes Fargo IMO.

Keep 'em coming!
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Believer (early Ryan Gosling movie in the vein of American History X)
    Bound (Wachowskis debut movie)
    Talk Radio (lesser known Oliver Stone movie)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Reef - a really realistic (I thought) shark film that provides tension, shocks and thrills.

Thanks for this one, cant wait to see this now,
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Journey of Natty Gann In my top five favourite movies ever. Has a young John Cusack and Meredith Salanger. Plus my fave actor of all time Jed the wolf dog.

A Boy and his Dog I admit this isn't the best movie ever made but it's certainly an interesting one about a dystopian society.

Radioland Murders Comedy film with lots of fun.