Options

New proposals to jail internet trolls for 2 years.

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

We need a watertight definition of trolls for this to work rather than people objecting to people online who are forthright.

Comments

• Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Half of DS will be locked up!
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS will go bust if trolls are locked up;-) then again do jails have internet access these days if they do the new law will be pointless.:p
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Only half? ;-)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

We need a watertight definition of trolls for this to work rather than people objecting to people online who are forthright.

I suspect the law will offer one, because that what happens with laws, they are very precise in their wording. No act will include the word 'trolls', that is for sure.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trolls are not real they are things of myths
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

In all seriousness not really!I find such people to be in the minority-Now people who are mouthy rude gob****** theres more of them but their not the same as trolls imo.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how about a proposal to inform the govt that THE INTERNET IS NOT REAL LIFE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suspect the law will offer one, because that what happens with laws, they are very precise in their wording. No act will include the word 'trolls', that is for sure.

I hate that the media makes up its own definitions of trolls and pumps it out into wider society to be the accepted meaning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »

The images & words it allows to be placed on your screen are, & so are the feelings of people who may be exposed to them.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Absolutely. Trolling isn't necessarily abusive and most of it isn't going to fall foul of any law, so they won't be able to call it that in the legislation. DS will not, therefore, die from an absence of trolling!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The images & words it allows to be placed on your screen are, & so are the feelings of people who may be exposed to them.

then they should know that it is not necessarily directed at them
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My reading of this is it's just a proposal to increase the sentences under the existing Malicious Communications Act
    Those who subject others to sexually offensive, verbally abusive or threatening material online are currently prosecuted in magistrates' courts under the Malicious Communications Act, with a maximum prison sentence of six months.

More serious cases could go to crown court under the proposals, where the maximum sentence would be extended.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I can burgle peoples homes and get community service.But if I go on the internet and spout a load of drunken crap i'll get locked up?.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member

Sounds like someone's working on his defence already...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    then they should know that it is not necessarily directed at them

It is the cases where someone specific is being targeted that are under consideration.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    this is when other western countries laugh at these so called freedom of speech laws here in the uk compared to their countries. this is a time when we need freedoms protected, not strangled. heck its already being abused by authorities locking people up for non credible threats on twitter etc :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and anyway, images and words count for nothing, its the substance that is relevant
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    ...heck its already being abused by authorities locking people up for non credible threats on twitter etc :kitty:
    People are already abusing the report abuse button on Twitter by reporting disagreements in a debate as harassment and abuse. Its simply censorship of a viewpoint the reportee disagrees with.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    So I can burgle peoples homes and get community service.But if I go on the internet and spout a load of drunken crap i'll get locked up?.:confused:

Precisely.

Give someone a good kicking on a Saturday night and get a slap on the wrists but call someone a few names online and they'll bang you up for two years.

This country is crazy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and anyway, images and words count for nothing, its the substance that is relevant

Which would consist of what was shown (images), what was said (words) & to whom-so your point is...?
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost impossible not to troll DS lately though :(

Silly pop stars get hundreds of abusive tweets a day. Should we prosecute all the assailants?
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Typical reaction to a moral panic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which would consist of what was shown (images), what was said (words) & to whom-so your point is...?

no no no, images may be shown, words may be said, but its not what they are.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    this is when other western countries laugh at these so called freedom of speech laws here in the uk compared to their countries. this is a time when we need freedoms protected, not strangled. heck its already being abused by authorities locking people up for non credible threats on twitter etc :kitty:

They say the problem with the internet is.It's come so far,so fast.That regulation/law just hasn't kept pace.It's an out of control monster.Hence the over the top regulations coming into play ref Trolls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    They say the problem with the internet is.It's come so far,so fast.That regulation/law just hasn't kept pace.It's an out of control monster.Hence the over the top regulations coming into play ref Trolls.

It's in its Wild West days. History will look back on us as pioneers & cowboys.