Are Plusnet any good?

13»

Comments

• lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FortKnox wrote: »
    I am actually thinking of leaving Sky for Plusnet as Fibre prices are much cheaper as my area is due to be activated in Sept-14

I've been used to Sky not having any traffic management and consistent speeds 24 hours a day with no slow downs. However I've heard there is some sort of Traffic Management system in place with plusnet? If so, Does anyone know what this is like? and how badly it will affect services such as my VoIP, Games and P2P?

The following link explains PlusNet traffic management policies.
    http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml

Brian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moved to plusnet from BT a few months ago, as a freelance graphic designer, I had no problems, and find the service great.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2014/08/plusnet-to-hike-phone-costs-but-you-can-leave-penalty-free-if-youre-hit.

"Plusnet to hike phone costs – but you can leave penalty-free if you're hit".

I signed up on a 2 year retention deal in May and paid 12 months line rental in advance, they assured me the price would not rise during the 2 years. I have emailed them to ask if I will be affected, if it's just phone calls I use 18185 so won't be affected. If they do want more money from me, I'm off.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Being used as a cash cow for BT offering 'free' footbore no doubt.
  • johnwebleyjohnwebley Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I went to Plusnet from Talktalk,due to poor speed and problems talking to people half way across the world.

the service has been great,lovely to talk to a UK based call center,

BUT,
    never got the speed promised,

Openreach checked the line,(also owned by BT),was promised about 5mbps,getting
    2.6mbps,I am about a mile from the exchange,the excuse is ,they used alluminium
    instead of copper,and they have de graded,

I can barely stream BBCiplayer on HD,
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnwebley wrote: »
    Openreach checked the line,(also owned by BT),was promised about 5mbps,getting
    2.6mbps,I am about a mile from the exchange,the excuse is ,they used alluminium
    instead of copper,and they have de graded,

in which case it will be the same no matter which ISP you go with.
  • wild_tywild_ty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Mine is now finally installed. Speed is good. Took a week and a half to get going though thanks to bt openreach issues. Plus net refunded my first bill and extended the discount offer from 9 months to 12 to compensate.

Topcashback also worked realy well and have now received £110. Would recommend it if anyone is thinking of switching
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    was with 02 for years changed about 6mths ago it has been dropping out occasionally but i just log into the router and change the chanel and problem solved, considering I was paying nearly 60 quid in total for bt phone line and 02 broadband im very happy as my biggest bill has been 28 for both with plusnet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Dai_Jones wrote: »
    was with 02 for years changed about 6mths ago it has been dropping out occasionally but i just log into the router and change the chanel and problem solved, considering I was paying nearly 60 quid in total for bt phone line and 02 broadband im very happy as my biggest bill has been 28 for both with plusnet.

I've been with PlusNet for 18 months. Everything was working properly until the Internet connection failed this week. I phoned them on several occasions and they were unhelpful. They wouldn't admit that there was a fault. My OH plugged in an Ethernet cable that they sent us during installation. The cable is tiny, so small that our computer has to be right next to the router.

I have requested a MAC code and will be leaving them ASAP. I have learned that paying that little extra, you get a much better service. PlusNet are cheap but if anything goes wrong, don't expect a solution!!
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    speedy2014 wrote: »
    I've been with PlusNet for 18 months. Everything was working properly until the Internet connection failed this week. I phoned them on several occasions and they were unhelpful. They wouldn't admit that there was a fault. My OH plugged in an Ethernet cable that they sent us during installation. The cable is tiny, so small that our computer has to be right next to the router.

I have requested a MAC code and will be leaving them ASAP. I have learned that paying that little extra, you get a much better service. PlusNet are cheap but if anything goes wrong, don't expect a solution!!

One reason why I use BT for the landline, but I use an ISP thats called Entanet and they are good. It's very rare to have any downtime, constant speed that is the highest in the area and the communication is good to the support centre.

It's a bit more expensive than a 'bundle' from the likes of Plusnet, but you get what you pay for.
  • da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good provider.

If anyone wants to join them. Message me as I have 12 month free broadband with them that I can give out.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet are best provider I've had, they are part of BT but allowed to run a slightly different way
  • geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete please
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    One reason why I use BT for the landline, but I use an ISP thats called Entanet and they are good. It's very rare to have any downtime, constant speed that is the highest in the area and the communication is good to the support centre.

It's a bit more expensive than a 'bundle' from the likes of Plusnet, but you get what you pay for.

I thought Entanet was for wholesalers and resellers
    http://www.enta.net
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I thought Entanet was for wholesalers and resellers
    http://www.enta.net

They do business and home connections. I'm on a family 30GB a month package which can be topped up online if required.