Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Comments

• designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Fantastic!! ... not to be contentious or anything but did you see any disgruntled fans as is being suggested here?
    To see her perform the Ninth Wave would be awesome .. so many times I've listened and imagined all sorts but to actually see Kate's visuals come to life .. must have been brilliant. 'I put this moment .. here' :) I would have been in floods I'm sure.
    It's so good too to hear that she's sounding good.

No disgruntled fans at all. She had so many standing ovations it was crazy! So many rounds of applause. Ninth Wave is truly haunting! When she sings Dream of Sheep it brought a tear to my eye because of how it was depicted. I won't go into specifics as I am sure there will be a dvd and don't want to spoil it too much. Her voice was just flawless. She owned the stage.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    I agree,generally speaking an "exact" set list isnt known and certainly was always a suprise before the days of the internet.
    But biggest selling and most famous song excluded..from someone who hasn't played a full gig for 35 years...c'mon,be reasonable

You really think people didn't want to hear Wuthering Heights,Babooshka,Wow,Man with a Child in His Eyes... behave,Sir

We'll I wasn't fussed about hearing them, although I do love those songs. When I was lucky enough to get 2 tickets I was just hoping she would do Ninth Wave, Nocturn and Aerial. Maybe it depends when a person first got interested in her music. Maybe newer fans wanted those songs whilst older fans who'd seen them performed many times first time round are not so 'outraged' by their omission. Although I do find all this outrage (on here, not in 'real' life where there doesn't seem to be any) really odd.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Yeah all 11 albums being in the Top50, 8 of which are top40 and 2 are in the top10... Definitely irrelevant isn't she? :D:D:D

She just made chart history. Not bad for someone you consider irrelevant. lol

Lucky i like heavy Rock where we generally do not have relevant irrelevant debates.:)

Thats why Rock bands like Kate Bush have long very long careers, because they are not a fashion item.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky i like heavy Rock where we generally do not have relevant irrelevant debates.:)

Thats why Rock bands like Kate Bush have long very long careers, because they are not a fashion item.

Well generally I don't usually care about relevance. I've loved Kate for years, even if I wasn't born until 84 and am a "younger" fan :)

I do think some of the "arguments" on here have been pretty poor.

I love Tori Amos too. Both Kate and Tori have had fantastic careers and don't bow to trends. They do what they want to do and are both extremely talented women.

None of this Twerking BS like Miley Cyrus :D
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well generally I don't usually care about relevance. I've loved Kate for years, even if I wasn't born until 84 and am a "younger" fan :)

I do think some of the "arguments" on here have been pretty poor.

I love Tori Amos too. Both Kate and Tori have had fantastic careers and don't bow to trends. They do what they want to do and are both extremely talented women.

None of this Twerking BS like Miley Cyrus :D

Indeed i like Motorhead ,Hawk-wind,Deep Purple,UFO,Micheal Schenker, Iron Maiden et al all around today and no BS just plain music.

The Miley Cyrus example is a good one,we probably have seen most of her underwear range in public,unlike artists of any real worth such as the ones you mention and also Judi Tzuke and from a much earlier era Sandy Denny.:)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree,generally speaking an "exact" set list isnt known and certainly was always a suprise before the days of the internet.
    But biggest selling and most famous song excluded..from someone who hasn't played a full gig for 35 years...c'mon,be reasonable

You really think people didn't want to hear Wuthering Heights,Babooshka,Wow,Man with a Child in His Eyes... behave,Sir

my experience of kate bush fans are that they like pretty much all the material shes created, and certainly not just the hit singles. i think they knew they werent going to hear everything, ive not yet one who has been disappointed at the set list.

as for her relevance?... well her material is as apt today as it ever was, its not dated much if at all, the content certainly IS relevant and speaks to me as much today as it did 30 years ago (and less).

even 'wuthering heights' is timeless, and thats possibly the most commercial and distinctive track shes ever produced.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting you say "creative force" - Is that your subtle way of finally admitting she is finished as a relevant and commercial force ?

No, it is the opposite in fact. And 8 albums in the top 40 says it even more eloquently.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No disgruntled fans at all. She had so many standing ovations it was crazy! So many rounds of applause. Ninth Wave is truly haunting! When she sings Dream of Sheep it brought a tear to my eye because of how it was depicted. I won't go into specifics as I am sure there will be a dvd and don't want to spoil it too much. Her voice was just flawless. She owned the stage.
    Oh fabulous. I so hope there's a DVD ... obviously it won't be the same as being there but it'd be a very close second :D If there isn't a DVD then you'll have to be prepared to divulge all ... you'd better start writing it down .. with diagrams :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh fabulous. I so hope there's a DVD ... obviously it won't be the same as being there but it'd be a very close second :D If there isn't a DVD then you'll have to be prepared to divulge all ... you'd better start writing it down .. with diagrams :D

Well I have heard from several sources that there will be one. It's not 100% confirmed yet but I can't imagine there not being one. She would make a good bit of money from it and please many fans who couldn't go. I would think she'll film it without an audience there. I'd love a live DVD. Dream of Sheep and Hello earth were just so haunting!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have heard from several sources that there will be one. It's not 100% confirmed yet but I can't imagine there not being one. She would make a good bit of money from it and please many fans who couldn't go. I would think she'll film it without an audience there. I'd love a live DVD. Dream of Sheep and Hello earth were just so haunting!
    Oh you've made my day :) There's definitely a demand for it .. it will help to heal all those broken hearts.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Yeah all 11 albums being in the Top50, 8 of which are top40 and 2 are in the top10... Definitely irrelevant isn't she? :D:D:D

She just made chart history. Not bad for someone you consider irrelevant. lol

Quite right. I believe, in the evidence of the years since KB first appeared on the music scene, that she has been proven as the single most influential and successful female in British rock history. Globally, too, she has made a massive impact. I am currently on the sub-tropical island of Madeira, 300 miles off the coast of Africa, and loads of people know KB's music.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sad to see 50 Words a For Snow low on peoples' lists, it's one of my favourites.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore 50 Words For Snow but possibly it helps that winter is my second favourite season, after autumn.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today is the day!

and it has completely overshadowed my birthday (which I am more than grateful for!)

So excited / nervous!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is the day!

and it has completely overshadowed my birthday (which I am more than grateful for!)

So excited / nervous!

Have a great time - I just know you will! From almost all (and not just the die hard fans) who have been it sounds absolutely magical. I get chills just thinking about it!
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right. I believe, in the evidence of the years since KB first appeared on the music scene, that she has been proven as the single most influential and successful female in British rock history. Globally, too, she has made a massive impact. I am currently on the sub-tropical island of Madeira, 300 miles off the coast of Africa, and loads of people know KB's music.

im not one for hyperbole as a rule, but in this case i think your description of her is spot on. and ill not be alone either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got tickets for this Friday .. I'm beyond happy :D
    Thank you so much 0...0 for telling me about Homeground xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oooooooh have fun! You will LOVE it! I'm jealous even though I've already been! I want to go again! I hate you! (not really) :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooooooh have fun! You will LOVE it! I'm jealous even though I've already been! I want to go again! I hate you! (not really) :p:D
    :D I was hating everyone this week but now I love everybody :D
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic that people are managing to get tickets at this late stage :)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have a great time! :D Damn I want to go again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's brilliant, I'm so happy for you. Have a blast!
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

where has this been proven? annie lennox is the most successful british female artist with 80 million record sales. she is also the most recognised female award winner at the brit awards. she has more grammys than kate too
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    where has this been proven? annie lennox is the most successful british female artist with 80 million record sales. she is also the most recognised female award winner at the brit awards. she has more grammys than kate too

Of course c.75m of those sales where with The Eurythmics, so not quite like with like. I think Dave Stewart may have a claim on some of that including songwriting credits and a Grammy.

Annie is a great singer and songwriter and would have a higher profile US side than Kate Bush. She wins on sales and Grammys, no doubt.

Influence is harder to measure of course, there are many artists who have been inspired by Kate and Annie probably in different ways.

Adele might eclipse both in sales terms in time although I thought the same about Dido a few years ago and that didn't happen.
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been a rip off - I was offered a ticket at £283, how does that work Kate? All these celebs telling us how much they enjoyed the shows - I wonder how they got tickets? But I love her, always have, always will!

Albums - my top 3, in no particular order:
    The Sensual World
    The Dreaming
    Hounds of Love

Aerial & 50 Words have their moments (which are magnificent) but are too inconsistent for me compared to early works.