Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why single Ferrari out as favouring a particular newspaper? Andrew Pierce is a consultant editor and columnist for the Mail and Kevin Maguire an associate editor at the Mirror group. James O'Brien reviews computer games for the Mail, Emma Barnett works for the Telegraph and most of the paper reviewers work for one paper or another.

With all the others you mention thery do not get paid to advertise their papers on air and they do not.

With Nick Ferrari he has taken a paid for advert with the sun on sunday as they say "he who pays the piper calls the tune"
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the others you mention thery do not get paid to advertise their papers on air and they do not.

With Nick Ferrari he has taken a paid for advert with the sun on sunday as they say "he who pays the piper calls the tune"

Resulting in what, in this particular case? I don't understand why it bothers you so much.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Resulting in what, in this particular case? I don't understand why it bothers you so much.

A conflict of interest? How would Ferrari report about Sun reporters taking money from the Police or hacking phones, for example?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    A conflict of interest? How would Ferrari report about Sun reporters taking money from the Police or hacking phones, for example?

"It has been alleged that some reporters from The Sun have been taking money ..." or

"John Smith, a former reporter on The Sun has been found guilty of taking money ..... The Sun's owner Rupert Murdoch has said that these practises are not acceptable. John Smith has been dismissed from all News International papers". or

"Several reporters from The Sun were accused of accepting money ... They have all been found not guilty and all charges have been dropped."

I see no problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "It has been alleged that some reporters from The Sun have been taking money ..." or

"John Smith, a former reporter on The Sun has been found guilty of taking money ..... The Sun's owner Rupert Murdoch has said that these practises are not acceptable. John Smith has been dismissed from all News International papers". or

"Several reporters from The Sun were accused of accepting money ... They have all been found not guilty and all charges have been dropped."

I see no problem.

What if he were to give Murdoch an easy time in an interview over these matters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if he were to give Murdoch an easy time in an interview over these matters?

Presumably it is not Murdoch's fault, it maybe his employees. Anyway if he were guilty it would be a matter of law rather than a radio interview.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Presumably it is not Murdoch's fault, it maybe his employees. Anyway if he were guilty it would be a matter of law rather than a radio interview.

Well, isn't this exactly the big question? Who knew what and when? I have to avoid being libellous, but I personally find it very hard to believe either Murdoch Snr or Jnr that they have no memory of this, that, or t'other. Especially coz Murdoch Snr was particulalry famous for having his nose right into all the nuts and bolts of his papers.

In my opinion (for it can be no more than that), I think it's naive to think that there will not be influence over LBC and the topics it reports or discusses or more to the point, the way that things are reported or discussed.

It took LBC all of, ooh, a week to tell us that we should stop bashing the bankers, yet we have constant bashing of the St Paul's protestors. It doesn't matter what 'side' individual posters are on, but I think it is hard to argue objectively that LBC hasn't shown some supreme bias on this issue (although H is fighting back a little bit the last couple of nights). If Ferrari does this for the bankers, what is he going to do for the new paymasters and Murdoch?
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite simply this i have been listening to LBC since around 1975 all through its good and bad times i have listened to Brian Hayes,Douglas Cameron,Bob Holness,Monty Modlin,Peter Deeley,Clive Bull ect ect,and i cannot remember a single presenter who compromised themselves by taking cash from a newspaper proprietor with a reputation such as Mr Murdoch has now.

In my view any presenter would be wise to give his publications a wide berth seeing as they have been involved in hacking of phones,Nick Ferrari presents a topical phone in show how is he to remain impartial if he is taking money from somebody that is likely to come up as a subject of conversation,as surely the sun might do if he is taking money from said publication..

Nick Ferrari is a news international man through and through as such he does not seem to be as inpartial as some of the great old LBC presenters if people cannot see that as a conflict of interest please .tell me what is.:(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Well, isn't this exactly the big question? Who knew what and when? I have to avoid being libellous, but I personally find it very hard to believe either Murdoch Snr or Jnr that they have no memory of this, that, or t'other. Especially coz Murdoch Snr was particulalry famous for having his nose right into all the nuts and bolts of his papers.

In my opinion (for it can be no more than that), I think it's naive to think that there will not be influence over LBC and the topics it reports or discusses or more to the point, the way that things are reported or discussed.

It took LBC all of, ooh, a week to tell us that we should stop bashing the bankers, yet we have constant bashing of the St Paul's protestors. It doesn't matter what 'side' individual posters are on, but I think it is hard to argue objectively that LBC hasn't shown some supreme bias on this issue (although H is fighting back a little bit the last couple of nights). If Ferrari does this for the bankers, what is he going to do for the new paymasters and Murdoch?

I take it when NF goes back to Wapping he will be in a new world of high tec that he does not understand :confused:he made a big deal of going on twitter and letting his PA/team send out his tweets.:eek:
    I think it's a given which presenters will support the bankers and JM is always ready to spring to their defence and AP would never ever support a left wing stance.There is something smug about AP which drives mad:mad:
    Heard JOB on the koran which made me laugh as the extreme callers were put through and proved they live on another planet,meanwhile President Obama apologised:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NF meets Rupert Murdoch:p 'Morning Sir,it's been a few years since i was allowed in the same room as you and your minders,how are you doing and what can you tell my listeners about The Sunday Sun'
    :p
    'Rupert replies 'Who are you mate?:mad: Security,get this man out of my office:eek:

LBC goes to ads....NF 'Standing outside News International i wonder where i went wrong:o'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NF meets Rupert Murdoch:p 'Morning Sir,it's been a few years since i was allowed in the same room as you and your minders,how are you doing and what can you tell my listeners about The Sunday Sun'
    :p
    'Rupert replies 'Who are you mate?:mad: Security,get this man out of my office:eek:

LBC goes to ads....NF 'Standing outside News International i wonder where i went wrong:o'

Many a truth is spoken in jest. I don't think NF has ever been on first name terms with Murdoch or mixed with him socially. He's loyal to him because he had several high profile, highly paid jobs with NI but I'd be surprised if they ever employed him again in a similar capacity. He's too old, for one thing, and things have moved on in the time he's been out of the business.

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Nick Ferrari - Asian Voice magazine's Broadcaster of the Year.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early this morning Steve announced he had received a text informing him that "some posters on Digital Spy had doubted the accuracy of his reporting the death of Ken Goodwin". I posted myself but I did not doubt Steve's report, was just curious as to why it had not received coverage elsewhere? However in Steve's world we are "idiots".

Do you think he actually read the posts in question after he received the text?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Early this morning Steve announced he had received a text informing him that "some posters on Digital Spy had doubted the accuracy of his reporting the death of Ken Goodwin". I posted myself but I did not doubt Steve's report, was just curious as to why it had not received coverage elsewhere? However in Steve's world we are "idiots".

Shouldn't think so. I doubt if he reads any of the nonsense posted about him, whether it's good or bad. I thought he actually said we were 'ill'. I wasn't going to mention it - I'd hate to join the numpties who wet themselves with excitement every time he gives them a mention. :rolleyes: I wonder if it means that we Foamars are now Steve Allen legends! :D

I love the idea of somebody actually going to the trouble of texting him about it: 'Sir, please Sir, they're talking about you....' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Whoever said that on the programme obviously hadn't read the forum properly. That wasn't the tone at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever said that on the programme obviously hadn't read the forum properly. That wasn't the tone at all.

Don't knock it, chin. We have fame at last! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't knock it, chin. We have fame at last! :D

Indeed :D But will we have to have a Page 3 now and who will this 'honour' fall to? :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed :D But will we have to have a Page 3 now and who will this 'honour' fall to? :eek::eek:

Martin, of course. I doubt if any of the girls are up for it. :o
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't think so. I doubt if he reads any of the nonsense posted about him, whether it's good or bad. I thought he actually said we were 'ill'. I wasn't going to mention it - I'd hate to join the numpties who wet themselves with excitement every time he gives them a mention. :rolleyes: I wonder if it means that we Foamars are now Steve Allen legends! :D

I love the idea of somebody actually going to the trouble of texting him about it: 'Sir, please Sir, they're talking about you....' :rolleyes:

Oh OK then - but surely this raises our legendary status;)
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Congrats to Nick Ferrari - Asian Voice magazine's Broadcaster of the Year.

Yes, I had to laugh at that accolade. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh OK then - but surely this raises our legendary status;)

It does indeed! Foam on! :D
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely Martin. We all know that he's willing to bare his knees at the drop of a hat. The little hussy!! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Martin. We all know that he's willing to bare his knees at the drop of a hat. The little hussy!! ;)

Perhaps they will have a Page 5 Guy (didn't one of the other papers use 'page 7 fella' ?).

Meantime I think G-S, Twinks, Crawley Cutie, VQ, MK ought to fight it out to be the first page 3 girl :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sony Radio Academy Awards takes place on 14 May. The nominations for the awards are released at the end of March / beginning of April. However the judges have been announced.

The only ones 'of interest' I could see are -

Jacqui Smith, James Rea and former LBC newsreader and presenter, Sandy Warr.
This discussion has been closed.