Excessive drinking and weeing.

wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ok, so my 8 year old terrier has always had a thirst (he drinks far more than the other 3)....but tonight he was lying down on the living room floor and wet himself :(

Then about an hour later he weed again in the kitchen. Now i am going to book an appointment with the vet tomorrow first thing....but does anyone have any ideas on what it could be ?

Now the funny thing is, the other 3 were all avoiding this puddle like the plague, and not through guilt (ie: me thinking it was one of them lol ) ...but then one of the girls sniffed it, walked past it and then weed on the floor too !!! :eek: The reason this is funny is because she has never ever toileted in the house, she is very, very clean....

So i am wondering if there is something in this wee (ie a smell) that has freaked them out a bit ?

I've had a google and can see there are all sorts out there, diabetes, cushings etc but wondered if anyone else has had experience of this ?

thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a cat with a similar problem. He was diagnosed with struvite cyrstals(bladder stones). If it is that it can be treated with special food. Cats and dogs can get this. I would wait to see what you vet says tomorrow but he must go tomorrow.Can let us know how he is. He sounds such a sweetie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the pee clear (ie not yellow) and odourless...more like water than pee?

If so combine that with excessive thirst and it could point to a serous kidney problem.....the excessive drinking of water helps to flush the toxins out that the kidneys cant manage....

A blood test will confirm that....if it shows high creatine and urea levels than normal.....
  • David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diabetes, Get it checked, they open first thing on a Friday?
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat was diagnosed with diabetes in January and his main symptoms were excessive drinking (very excessive!) and urinating. He also had a huge appetite but had actually been losing weight and he was quite lethargic, although that was far harder to spot than the crazy thirst. It sounds daunting but it's not the end of the world and is very treatable.

To be honest though, it could be one of many things from a simple bladder infection (which may explain why the other dogs were so horrified by his wee) to possibly more serious problems and only your vet will be able to tell you for certain and decide on the best course of action. It's probably worth getting a urine sample to take along with you today if possible.
    Don't do any more searching online, I scared myself silly doing that with my cat and convinced myself he was a gonner. :o

Good luck at the vets today and please let us know how he gets on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a diabetic cat here, who had those symptoms too. He also had cystitis.

Good luck with the vets. :)
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, thanks for all your replies...well, a bit of confusion reigned in the house, thought it was our boy terrier and it turns out it was one of the girls :rolleyes:. the one who weed on it !!!
    My mum swore it was one of the boys who had been the culprit, until our little girl actually peed twice more in front of us before we went to bed :(

So took her to the vets yesterday morning and the poor little thing has cystitis. Vet explained because of the sudden onset it is most likely this, but she is on a course of antibiotics (as well as an injection) and seems to already improved :)...no more accidents since !!

Luckily for her nothing too serious...except for my purse !! :eek:
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad things are looking up healthwise, if not financially!

My CRF cat has waterworks problems from time to time and once got a urinary tract infection which meant it was too painful to hold in wee until she got to the tray. This resulted in her peeing on my duvet twice - once while I was in bed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad your little one is improving. :)
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The joys of a multi pet household. I remember finding blood in the litter tray several times back when I had three cats. Ended up having to take all three to the vet because I couldn't find out which it was.

Glad yours is recovering.