The Wanted think they're like The Beatles

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    The (Un)Wanted are better than the Beatles?! Okay...

Who is The Wanted? Why are they wanted, did they commit a crime?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    While i'm sure the Beatles had a huge amount of fangirls i reckon the brilliant music they wrote might of been the major factor behind Beatlemania, these to boybands can release number 1 after number one but they will never realease real quality music like the Beatles did.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    icicletusk wrote: »
    I find it laughable that they think they are "tearing up America". I can safely say, since I am currently on the other side of the pond, The Wanted are definitely not big in America..

I recall them performing on one - possible 2? - day time shows and with all the driving I do back and forth from Canada and America, I haven't once heard their song on the radio - while 1D was everywhere. The only reason a majority of people know of them here is because Lindsey Lohan followed them around for those 4 days and it was all over the media. Personally I think they need to send her a card of thanks for that. They were all over the news for about a week. And let's be honest, that;s about as good as it's going to get for them over here.

BIB: You mean apart from Glad You Came reaching #6 on the Billboard End Of 2012 Chart and What Makes You Beautiful reaching #6, Glad You Came hitting #3 on the US Airplay Chart of 2012 whilst What Makes You Beautiful reached #14?!

I'm not saying The Wanted are bigger than 1D, they obviously aren't as their album sales show but to say they haven't done anything in America, or compared to 1D they aren't played on radio is untrue. They've also played many daytime shows (Ellen, MuchMusic (Canada obviously) as well as American Idol, DWTS, The Voice, The AMAs, The Billboard Awards, had GYC covered on Glee, performed many headline shows and a lot of Jingle Balls over the winter

Glad You Came reached 3x Platinum, Chasing The Sun has reached Gold I believe after only peaking at #50 and I Found You has bombed all the way down the chart...

Back on topic, he never said that they were like The Beatles, he basically said there is a boyband fad/craze/situation going on the US right now and it's coming from two UK boybands, Nathan was recently asked if they could be compared to The Beatles and he said no and it would be crazy of them to think so, I don't think any of them believe they are The Beatles or have had the success of The Beatles
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And when asked if they could team up with any other boy band from any era, he chose the Beatles

I don't think that's really what the interviewer had in mind when he said 'boy band'.
    How humiliating for The Beatles to be reduced to being just a boy band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dislike both but I'd agree that comparing themselves to One Direction is laughable. Although, One Direction do have the power of the X Factor behind them so maybe things would be different if The Wanted had that kind of backing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clancey83 wrote: »
    I dislike both but I'd agree that comparing themselves to One Direction is laughable. Although, One Direction do have the power of the X Factor behind them so maybe things would be different if The Wanted had that kind of backing?

The Wanted have had huge backing by Scooter Braun (Bieber's manager) and he's actually secured them a lot of performances on a lot of big shows. They've done twice the promo that 1D have in America so far.
    Forum Member

The main reason I prefer TW over 1D is exactly that reason. People can link their success to Capital or Scooter Braun but they came from nothing, they toured schools, radio stations and clubs and pubs to get where they are.. They didn't have 10 million people watching them week in and week out for 12 weeks..

It doesn't seem to bother them that they are second to 1D, and it doesn't seem to bother their fans either who are loyal, probably because they will spend time with them, tweet them, set up a thing where they can spend days doing activities like paintballing with them, spend an hour and half doing a webchat with them on their Christmas holiday, they seem like the nicer group to their fans than 1D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Tbh they r more relevant and edgy than the Beetles ever where

Sergeant Pepper etc was totally relevant and edgy in 1967, you can't do any better than be relevant in your own time, even if it doesn't say anything to someone your age. (I'm assuming you're under 25).

If you are only relevant to some time in the future, well that's not much use if you're dead by the time people start appreciating you, like say Jeff Buckley.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason I prefer TW over 1D is exactly that reason. People can link their success to Capital or Scooter Braun but they came from nothing, they toured schools, radio stations and clubs and pubs to get where they are.. They didn't have 10 million people watching them week in and week out for 12 weeks..

It doesn't seem to bother them that they are second to 1D, and it doesn't seem to bother their fans either who are loyal, probably because they will spend time with them, tweet them, set up a thing where they can spend days doing activities like paintballing with them, spend an hour and half doing a webchat with them on their Christmas holiday, they seem like the nicer group to their fans than 1D

I see what you are saying but you cannot say they came from nothing when they had the whole of Capitol radio behind them. Some people would argue that that exposure is equal or more than 10 weeks on a tv show that doesn't involve the whole nation!

Airplay is extremely important to success and without it you will struggle
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh they r more relevant and edgy than the Beetles ever where

:D:D:D

Thanks dude. I needed that.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    soapmania wrote: »
    I think they are total shit, And 1D are slightly better in that manufactured sense.

The fact that these two ""bands"" have even been mentioned in the same sentence with The Beatles is a total insult.... and I'm not a Beatles fan but please?? :rolleyes:

Agreed!
    The Beatles were progressive and important musically, will people still listen to "bands" like 1D in 5 years never mind 30-40 years after they split? :confused::eek:
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I see what you are saying but you cannot say they came from nothing when they had the whole of Capitol radio behind them. Some people would argue that that exposure is equal or more than 10 weeks on a tv show that doesn't involve the whole nation!

Airplay is extremely important to success and without it you will struggle

I'm not saying Capital haven't helped, they certainly did, but if they had that much help from them, their singles would sell much better surely?! I Found You spent 3 weeks in the chart, not great with the might of Capital behind them..

And to the person that said Scooter has scored them big performances in America, he is their manager, his job is to get them big performances all over and if he wasn't doing that, he wouldn't have a job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying Capital haven't helped, they certainly did, but if they had that much help from them, their singles would sell much better surely?! I Found You spent 3 weeks in the chart, not great with the might of Capital behind them..

And to the person that said Scooter has scored them big performances in America, he is their manager, his job is to get them big performances all over and if he wasn't doing that, he wouldn't have a job

Yes, I agree with that, but with all the promo they've done they really should be doing a lot better in America. They've been on The Voice, American Idol, The Today Show, Ellen Show, Jay Leno (twice I think), some MTV etc. My point was that they've had huge backing especially with their promo and they've secured a lot more slots than 1D have. I was just simply stating that they have had the same level of backing as 1D if not more.
    Forum Member
    I think they have done ok, I know the majority of sales is GYC but they are touring the US constantly whereas 1D didn't really have to do that, they were already known over there when they were launched
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the issue here is that 1D's rise in the US isn't "normal". From what I understand, you don't get a N°1 album after a 4/5 (?) weeks period as opening act for another (not that huge) boy band during their tour combined with a radio tour, and 1 TV appearance (even if it's a big morning show).
    Another even more astounding trajectory: The Adele thing... People do not expect every british female singer to have the same success as her. If they do, there will be a lot of disapointment.
    Maybe what is happening to the Wanted is actually normal. I read it usually takes time and a lot of promo to "break" the US.

But if they don't stop this guy from talking, they are bound to encounter a few bumps. I am usually against media training, but that's because I believe people have some common sense...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Media training was made with guys like this foot-in-mouth in mind. The irony is that he prides himself of not having any.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Is Tom the ugly one? Or i should say the ugliest one? :D

My how their tune has changed from saying they were better than 1D and they were all about the music whereas 1D were for kiddies they now saying they (and 1D) are on the same level as the beatles :D:D

Doesn't their management give them media training? Isn't this the same band that are always dissing someone? Christina and Britney spring to mind . So not a good look :eek:

yep... the one and only!! :eek: he called zayn "one stripe" on twitter and zayn's comeback was: "if i have a face like yours, my hair would be the last of my worries" ouch!! lolz!!:p:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is The Wanted? Why are they wanted, did they commit a crime?

their delusion of grandeur is a great crime against reality itself :(:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the power of the X Factor? in the US at the time?? or did it come down to the other way round, 1D virtually becoming the showcase of an XF act done phenomenal?:p

scooter just happened to have a very big ace in the form of justin bieber... and he can throw his other acts in the deals as BOGOFF.;)
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    They are so embarrasing, when I see them perform live they always come across like its the fiorst time they have ever sung together, they are 5 individuals not a group...
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those guys need media training ASAP!
    Even if those quotes are out of context, one can only think WTF!

New quotes:
    The Wanted’s Tom Parker “What I’m proud of is that I feel like we started this whole generation of new boy bands not dancing. We were the first one there. We’re the coolest boy band around.”
    Jay McGuiness was quick to add, “I think everyone saw us and thought, that’s the blueprint, we’ll tidy it up a bit and then we’ll make a lot of money.”

Way to go to make themselves look like fools who think too highly of themselves...
    They are known to diss left and right, so that's not even the issue here.
    But who bigs themselves up like that?
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    It's always Tom.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't exactly call Tom the ugly one though. He's a bit of a cutie! :D
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been boybands who don't dance (although they are/were mainly in the minority) long before TW. East 17,Boyz II Men,Hanson,Busted,McFly,Jonas Brothers,Westlife.

Perhaps Tom was hoping people had forgot about them!!

I also don't think anyone honestly thought they were 'the blueprint' for this era as they as just a lads boyband similar to East 17,5ive and Blue before them.

I'd say JLS showed more that new boybands could sell in the UK (which is where TW started obviously being UK based) back in 09 when older boybands were still around (Take That,McFly,Boyzone and Westlife) and no young boybands in the charts so more so than TW. If anything regardless of the fact they don't dance TW management clearly saw the impact of JLS and did the opposite ie more laddish and no dancing.
    This is nothing new though that was one of the many differences between TT and East 17 in the early 90's, one danced the other group didn't.

Record labels will always put out alternatives for boybands like this as it's a slightly different crowd they'll attract and show small differences between groups.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why's there always so much talk about this lot? Isn't their singles performance track record rather lacklustre?