Options

Preacher (Spoilers in Tags)

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Surely Cassidy would conclude that there are other Vampires in the world simply because he is one? :p If he exists, then surely there are others? Regardless to whether the one on the end of the phone was one or not.

Going off memory, in the comic he was grabbed and bitten by a monster in a swamp, or some such. Other intelligent vampires is what I meant. Though in the comics he wore sunglasses all the time, as he had scary red vampire eyes he couldn't change, so the show has altered his backstory already.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episode two and absolutely loved it. Still not entirely sure what's going on, but it was great. Buckets of blood and a great soundtrack as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched episode two and absolutely loved it. Still not entirely sure what's going on, but it was great. Buckets of blood and a great soundtrack as well.

I think there is an expectation that most people watching will be familiar with the comic, feels like it anyway. In any case I too really enjoyed it, I think Arseface is the only real weak link, being a one joke character.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had never heard of Preacher until I saw a picture of Dominic Cooper on the front of the SFX magazine last month. I was pleased to see that it is on Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I think there is an expectation that most people watching will be familiar with the comic, feels like it anyway. In any case I too really enjoyed it, I think Arseface is the only real weak link, being a one joke character.

I'm sure I read something that seemed to imply it wasn't going to stick too closely to the comics, but then I suppose there's the risk of alienating it's target audience if they do do that.

Agree about Arseface though. Hopefully he'll only be a very minor supporting role.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I think could kill this show is (1) fans of the comic leaving cos they're "doing it all wrong" and (2) people who haven't read the comic leaving after stumbling across overly detailed spoilers, posted by those very same fans of the comic (including the frickin ENDING OF THE LAST BOOK, so they think "oh well what's the point since I know what's gonna happen".
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    Well, speaking for myself - I've never understood the fascination with comics, but that's just a personal thing.

In regard to this show, I enjoying it at face value, a tv series that entertains me. If the purists who do read the comics so avidly don't like it, then that's up to them. But why keep on and on about it 'being different' to the original concept?

As far as I'm concerned it's been made to aim at an audience who are probably like me, just enjoying it for what it is, and the way it's been made suits me just fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillypoots wrote: »
    Well, speaking for myself - I've never understood the fascination with comics, but that's just a personal thing.

In regard to this show, I enjoying it at face value, a tv series that entertains me. If the purists who do read the comics so avidly don't like it, then that's up to them. But why keep on and on about it 'being different' to the original concept?

As far as I'm concerned it's been made to aim at an audience who are probably like me, just enjoying it for what it is, and the way it's been made suits me just fine.

The thing about the Preacher comic is, for me, as a teenager in the mid 90's, it was a ****ing revelation. It was like reading 1984 for the first time, that impactful. I couldn't believe DC comics (Warner Bros) were putting out something that treated religion with such contempt every month. I haven't read it since then & I don't honestly know if it holds up, but a tv show that is toned down in some respects 20 years later is always going to be walking on egg shells somewhat, because they're remaking a classic.

Having said all that, as mentioned I enjoyed the second episode more than I expected to, so yay for that.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read and loved the comics when they originally came out, but to be honest on recently re-reading them they aren't quite as great as I remember, still a great read but not as shocking and out there as they were at the time.

The show I'm finding excellent, I think the pacing (reminds me of breaking bad) is great and they've got the characters all right in my opinion so far. I don't have a problem with arseface, not really sure why some people do.

Several other fans of the comic I know all love it.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 3 was quite slow but did explain some things. I saw they had the comic book in Waterstones and now know why Dominic Cooper was chosen for the role initially.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed again, slower but still great.

Cassidy and his they are all out to get him, how he has survived so long? Come he is stupid, phones his friend tells him where he is and next thing hunters turn up. He is a vampire but thinks the two men are clones, we are from heaven. Yet he still says they are clones:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    Enjoyed again, slower but still great.

Cassidy and his they are all out to get him, how he has survived so long? Come he is stupid, phones his friend tells him where he is and next thing hunters turn up. He is a vampire but thinks the two men are clones, we are from heaven. Yet he still says they are clones:D

The writer of Preacher, Garth Ennis, is also from Belfast. It maybe where he got his all-religion-is-mental ideas from. ;-)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Cassidy and his they are all out to get him, how he has survived so long? Come he is stupid, phones his friend tells him where he is and next thing hunters turn up. He is a vampire but thinks the two men are clones, we are from heaven. Yet he still says they are clones
    If you killed two men who then (re)appeared, and they told you they were from Heaven, would you be more likely to believe them, or would you come to the conclusion that they're clones? :p

Personally, I'm more likely to believe in Clones than I am Angels/Heaven. ;-)
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I'm too thick for this show. I'm finding the cinematography boring, struggling to work out what's happening (strongly suspect not much has) and the script is clearly good but is unintelligible to my dumb ears.

The editing is appalling and it's all too dark to work out what's happened. Love the music though.

Ep 3 was good, it felt like it got a jumpstart. I don't think they had an intro credits thing in the first 2 eps? Always an indicator the a rethink has happened (the strain s3) and that could explain the poor editing.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    episode 4 was very slow. I don't mind the slow burn series (like Breaking Bad, Better call Saul) but this was pushing the limits of not enough actually happening to keep me interested. With the comics being so full on I'd expect it to be moving a little faster.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I liked the pilot but episodes 3 and 4 have left me a bit befuddled. I feel like I have fallen asleep in parts of the episodes and missed plot points but I really haven't.

Giving it another episode or two purely for my admiration of Josef Gilgun.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What annoys me is that he keeps using his voice at the end of each episode, so we hardly see the effects.

He should be shown using it at the start and the episode about the effects.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why this is progressing so slowly.

There's so much source material to draw from, and yet the TV series doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    I get the feeling that the viewer is being lulled into a false sense of security, but that all of a sudden things will go off with a bang!

I'm still enjoying the show personally, from the perspective of not knowing anything about the comic anyway. Maybe that's the best way to view this series.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    They really better not chicken out of that...

I don't see how they can get out of that.
    You can't even come close to telling the story without The Grail, and he's the whole point of their existence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't really expecting this to be my type of show because i'm a bit jaded with the whole supernatural/demons angle, but i must admit i quite liked the pilot so i'm in for now.

If it stays remotely faithful to the book, I guarantee, this is like no TV series you've ever seen before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I don't understand why this is progressing so slowly.

There's so much source material to draw from, and yet the TV series doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

My guess is they're working on a tight budget. I have a feeling we won't get to any of the really crazy stuff until the cliffhanger at the end of the first series. If it gets a second series, they might start spending a bit more and our road movie will begin in season 2.

Hope I'm wrong though.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Sunday night was confusing. Probably because I've not read the novels before but I have no idea who the old guy on the now dead horse is/was as you didn't see him again the whole episode.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Sunday night was confusing. Probably because I've not read the novels before but I have no idea who the old guy on the now dead horse is/was as you didn't see him again the whole episode.
    Methinks it's ok, you being confused. They haven't revealed how the guy fits in with the main Preacher storyline.
    So far we've got him going for some important medicine, choosing not to help a family in need, riding home, being passed by another family, realizing they'd suffer the same fate, going back to help them, finding out this family are scum who weren't in danger at all, getting beaten up for his troubles, being recognized, (in his past he loved killing, but now he seems to have put that behind him, the love of a good woman doing that), having his horse shot which meant it took him even longer to get home with the important medicine, but being too late. :( If he'd only not gone back to help then his family would probably still be alive. >:(
    JonDoe wrote: »
    If it stays remotely faithful to the book, I guarantee, this is like no TV series you've ever seen before.
    from what we've seen so far I think it is safe to say that they ain't staying faithful to the book, even remotely. :p
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Methinks it's ok, you being confused. They haven't revealed how the guy fits in with the main Preacher storyline.
    So far we've got him going for some important medicine, choosing not to help a family in need, riding home, being passed by another family, realizing they'd suffer the same fate, going back to help them, finding out this family are scum who weren't in danger at all, getting beaten up for his troubles, being recognized, (in his past he loved killing, but now he seems to have put that behind him, the love of a good woman doing that), having his horse shot which meant it took him even longer to get home with the important medicine, but being too late. :( If he'd only not gone back to help then his family would probably still be alive. >:(

Thanks for the summary, I did get a little lost there. Enjoying the series so far although it is pretty slow. I like how they keep putting little shocking scenes in there to keep us coming back (the shooting this week). I'd also watch an hour of just Jesse and Cassidy having a chat, they're both doing a great job. Struggling to care for any of the other characters at the moment.