The Living and The Dead

Comments

• VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure this one is for those who have watched the whole lot, and the one with "No Spoilers" is for those who are watching at broadcast pace. There's been references above to things you'll not have seen yet if you are watching on BBC1 :D

EDIT: Although some of these references are in spoiler tags, so perhaps best to keep key stuff hidden anyway? :D

I have asked because I've already finished and I'm itching to talk about it with someone, my husband is still on ep 1 so can't spoil it for him :D
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am so potty! I thought I had watched every episode of this but tonight's on BBC1 must have passed me by!
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I think I am so potty! I thought I had watched every episode of this but tonight's on BBC1 must have passed me by!

On IPlayer it was easy to accidently skip over. I did it with no6, they released as it started with the flashbacks. So stopped and went back to the correct one.

So they kept the old ways and if things went bad a sacrifice was needed. Gabriel has arrived still dripping.;-)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished it! What a brilliant series that was.

The only niggle for me was the car.

All the other timeslips can be reasonably understood, with Laura and Nathan appearing to each other as ghosts, Laura appearing to Charlotte, and Gabriel etc, as the apparitions or phenomenon vanishes. But the car was there, solid, for all to see, no vanishing when you look away etc. Very odd development!
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A question about the ending.....
    So Nathan comes down the stairs and sees a group of people having a seance. They all appear to be from the 1920s/30s possibly. One of them refers to Nathan as "notorious" and then the question is asked "So Nathan why did you kill your Wife?". Which Wife are the referring to? There was no mention of how Wife number one died that I remember! Enjoyable series - a pretty good watch! Will there be another series I wonder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    A question about the ending.....
    So Nathan comes down the stairs and sees a group of people having a seance. They all appear to be from the 1920s/30s possibly. One of them refers to Nathan as "notorious" and then the question is asked "So Nathan why did you kill your Wife?". Which Wife are the referring to? There was no mention of how Wife number one died that I remember! Enjoyable series - a pretty good watch! Will there be another series I wonder?

That is what I said earlier in the thread.
    Wife one died long before the little boy drown. Her ghost did pop up, woman in white nightgown covered in blood. It was very quick and I think episode 4? So I take it was her.

Hopefully a season 2 which will answer more questions.
  • KittygodfreeKittygodfree Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mostly enjoyed the series, but the ending was a bridge too far for me, just silly. All the other ghostly goings on could be justified within the plot, but why would a car be dug up in the Victorian era. It would have been taken away in the modern era for forensics, just done for surprise value,but I knew it was going to happen , so disappointing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you do realize its a ghost/drama and not real life. Any ghost story to suspend belief.
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished watching the series. I enjoyed it hugely though I was maybe a little less impressed with the last episode than others were.

A few things struck me as a bit obvious eg
    I knew that at least Charlotte would not end up committing suicide as we already knew the baby she was carrying was going to be born. Diana Quick's character (the modern day grandmother) had already mentioned that her mother (Charlotte's baby) was about to be born iyswim. So that took away the tension of that moment when Charlotte and Nathan are standing together with the poison.

Another obvious thing: when Lara swerved to avoid Nathan, it was immediately obvious to me that she had crashed, died and become a ghost. She could then talk properly to Gabriel, ghost to ghost, as opposed to only catching fleeting glimpses of him. So, it was then obvious to me that the bit of metal in the ground was her car, and no surprise when the car was dug up. I am not usually quick to pick up on these things so I am surprised to read that anyone found the fact of her death & the discovery of the car a surprise.

Glad to read what others have written about Nathan's jumper. I was distracted by that the moment he first wore it. It looked out of place in the time period. Knitted jumpers were around in Victorian times I imagine, but weren't they something worn by eg fishermen? I am not sure they were worn by gentleman farmers. So it would be good to know that that was a deliberate plot line. Though Charlotte's attire seemed to veer from classic 1890s dress to something more fanciful and back again too, so maybe it was just a loose costume department.

I haven't watched other supernatural programmes mentioned here. I watched it orignally as a fan of Colin Morgan, so I am not too familiar with the genre, but for me, it had resonances with Torchwood - loads of unexplained time slip moments, eg the burning tree.

Anyway, that's my assessment. I really enjoyed it, and hope there is a 2nd series. I am guessing the wife in question at the end is the first wife.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    you do realize its a ghost/drama and not real life. Any ghost story to suspend belief.

True but it still has to make sense. L&D doesn't.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching this - it was enjoyable but I have 2 questions
    What was the relevance of the tree which townspeople hung things on?This happened throughout the episodes. For e.g. Gwen put (Charlottes) bloodied tissue on a branch

Also why was there a burning tree in the forest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly enjoyed the series, but the ending was a bridge too far for me, just silly. All the other ghostly goings on could be justified within the plot, but why would a car be dug up in the Victorian era. It would have been taken away in the modern era for forensics, just done for surprise value,but I knew it was going to happen , so disappointing.

Maybe correct police procedure in Somerset is to shove the offending vehicle into the nearest swamp, like in Psycho.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=bbclassics;8328288
    5]Just finished watching this - it was enjoyable but I have 2 questions
    What was the relevance of the tree which townspeople hung things on?This happened throughout the episodes. For e.g. Gwen put (Charlottes) bloodied tissue on a branch

Also why was there a burning tree in the forest?
    [/QUOTE]

I think this is all just window dressing. The writer obviously had some particular themes in his head and was determined to shoehorn them into a TV series, to wit: yokels confronted by 21st. century technology, possession, ghosts, witchcraft, early psychiatry, rural versus urban, modern farming vs superstition, scientist baffled by a "book of light".
    To its credit the series had a decent bash at all of the above but then just dumped most of them when all got too complicated.
    It was beautifully shot and mostly well-acted but let down by revealing its twists a bit too early. Also Colin Morgan's considerable acting skills deserted him completely in the final episode.
    Covering so much ground weakened the impact of the overall story; perhaps condensed into a 2 hour movie it would have packed more of a punch.
    That said it was better than most recent BBC drama offerings.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is also obvious, nobody has mentioned yet, is that it is clear Nathan
    didn't make old bones. The dead/ghost Nathan who came down the stairs was the same guy we have seen through the series. When Charlotte was asking Gwen about the photograph, it was taken in 1861 and he wasn't yet born. If the series is set in 1894, I would guess (going on the actor's age) Nathan was born around 1864. Therefore, when we see the guys doing the ouija board in the 1920s, Nathan would then be feasibly still alive, but it seems he signed off not long after the series by the look of his ghost.

So what happened to him and how?
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We will never know ! :o

The Living & The Dead - Cancelled
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is it with british cancellations? They always say the same

"we are really proud of "insert show here, but to make room for other dramas, we will not be moving forward for another series"

How about "the show was a flop and we don't wish to waste our money on something that isn't connecting with television audiences"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You Bast*rds!!!!!>:(

They could have done online only
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon could pick it up like Ripper Street.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so unfair!>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excelents wrote: »
    Amazon could pick it up like Ripper Street.

Depends on the outcry from fans. Although that never matters. Home Fire's campaign went no where.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the outcry from fans. Although that never matters. Home Fire's campaign went no where.

Cult like shows do get more fans willing to jump in and save a show. Have to say never watched Home Fires, not my type of show. Also as it was an ITV show more dependant on advertisers.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    That's a shame. I've just finished the series and thought it was pretty good. As others have already said, beautiful cinematography and music and great chemistry between the principals.

At first it looked like it was going to be like The Others. But it wasn't quite that. And that cliffhanger ending... :(

Maybe there's enough interest for it to do a Ripper Street. (series 4 is about to be shown on the BBC) but I doubt it, having had only one season of 6 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the BBC gave it their all. They promoted it a fair bit and it's performance online clearly made no difference. So why carry something on if it isn't doing well.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a shame that this has been cancelled, especially as the dire Versailles is renewed for a second series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    It is a shame that this has been cancelled, especially as the dire Versailles is renewed for a second series.

The renewal of Versailles has nothing to do with the BBC anyway.