What Happened To River City ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
Forum Member
Previous at the start, next week at the end, music throughout and im sure there was something about the lightining and camera.

Comments

• A LockeridgeA Lockeridge Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    claire9971 wrote: »
    Previous at the start, next week at the end, music throughout and im sure there was something about the lightining and camera.

I caught 2 mins of it tonight and it seems they have dumped the film look and gone to normal video.
  • Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught 2 mins of it tonight and it seems they have dumped the film look and gone to normal video.

god they made an awfull show even worse, music all thru, crap editing :mad:
  • Veni VidiVeni Vidi Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Pardoni moi but was I on chemically altered currant buns?

Lack of Love has killed River City.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. The storylines were'nt good tonight & the new filming didn't look right. Was it just me or did most of them look like really bad actors tonight? I'm normally a rc fan who lurks but had to comment on that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I was JUST coming here to start a thread like this.
    I remember reading there was gonna be changes, but all throughout I kept saying "Nope...don't like it". Nobody likes change though :)

It was like someone was filming it with their own camera or like it was LIVE! Even the acting, it was like they were starting all over again, and i mean even the people that are normally amazing!

Don't get me wrong, I would be the first to defend River City but I'm not sure about these changes. Too much, too soon.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will take a while to get used to, but I still love the show, do we only count each one hour show as one episode now?
  • sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from digispy news archive-

River City producers are planning a major revamp of the Scottish soap, it was revealed today.

Insiders have claimed that chiefs will embrace the show's new hour-long format by emulating dramas like Holby City and Casualty.

The BBC programme originally aired for 30 minutes twice a week, but this was changed earlier this year. Since then, viewers have been seeing two episodes shunted together in the new slot, but producers will start filming new hour-long episodes next month.

One source told the Daily Record: "The soap as the viewing public know it will be changed to become more of a weekly drama. The suggestion is that very little will refer back to earlier storylines."

Executive producer Sandra MacIver is being replaced by NCS Manhunt director Sue Austin. Other staffing changes are also said to be taking place at the moment.

A BBC Scotland spokesman said: "We're excited by where River City's going."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Everyone looked orange and the lighting, especially in the flat of the woman with the baby, was appalling plus the director was filming from weird angles.

Didn't look good at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I have to say that on the whole I LOVED it! Nicky was rubbish though, but I did like the new style Rory!
    Forum Member
    I have to say that on the whole I LOVED it! Nicky was rubbish though, but I did like the new style Rory!

Rory just gets better by each episode, so cute.
  • SmeddlesboySmeddlesboy Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. I love RC but didn't enjoy last night very much. Hopefully I'll get used to it, but I agree it looked a bit amateurish.

Lets give it a few weeks though.
  • savethecheerleasavethecheerlea Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Rory just gets better by each episode, so cute.

I like his new look aswell.
    When he had his blonde hair i just kept thinking of him as the midwife on holby city.

TBH i didn't really notice the changes lol. But i think the girl that plays JO is a god awful actor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I think what ruined it was the music played. It was played at the wrong time and wasnt the best suited songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    im an avid fan of this show and i was dumfounded it could b ruined so much i thought the lighting might have been cause i was watching it on bbc iplayer but when i seen the funny bouncy camera work the shocking music and the uneasiness of the actors i knew it was the new format. I hope to hell they revert these things but i do like the seamless hour and the previously and next week bits but its a scottish soap trying to be aussie number with the music wonder if five will buy it now.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I live in England and don't see River City, I totally empathise with how you are feeling. I absolutely hate the current trend which seems to have infected the brains of tv producers, to film our favourite shows with the terrible filmic effect. I am an avid viewer of Neighbours. I was furious, and still am, that the lovely video look was ditched in Feb this year for the terrible film effect.:cry: I still watch it, but only just. I used to watch Home and Away, Casualty and Holby City, but I cannot watch them anymore, the reason, the filmic effect.:mad:
    When will tv producers realise that tv is NOT film?:mad:
  • summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    The new filming techniques don't bother me at all - I think it looks fresh and vibrant and great!!!!!

But I don't like the new one-hour episode. Two episodes back-to-back was better, you usually got different characters/storylines in the 2nd half, and that was a GOOD thing because it kept it fresh and stopped you getting bored, and you were almost guaranteed your favourite characters would show up at some point.

Now it's just the same two or three storylines for a whole hour and the same pick of characters throughout too.
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Although I live in England and don't see River City, I totally empathise with how you are feeling. I absolutely hate the current trend which seems to have infected the brains of tv producers, to film our favourite shows with the terrible filmic effect. I am an avid viewer of Neighbours. I was furious, and still am, that the lovely video look was ditched in Feb this year for the terrible film effect.:cry: I still watch it, but only just. I used to watch Home and Away, Casualty and Holby City, but I cannot watch them anymore, the reason, the filmic effect.:mad:
    When will tv producers realise that tv is NOT film?:mad:

Its the other way round, they had the film look and now theve gone to normal video look.:D I love the new look as I hate that silly film look.

Its also good news that shellsuit Bob is being dropped as a main role in the show.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    it was wierd last week but im used to it this week now hardly noticed the changes - but please bring back rorys blonde hair!!! i miss it so much haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is already a thread on River City and it's ----

HUGE with almost 150,000 mails for you to enjoy!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • sootygirlsootygirl Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its also good news that shellsuit Bob is being dropped as a main role in the show.:cool:

:eek: Noooooo! Is that true?!?! :( I love wee bob! He rules! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Sorry folks but the new look RC just sucks.

Extract from a recent Daily Record article trying to justify the changes :

" The new-look show comes after previous producer Sandra MacIver moved to forthcoming BBC Scotland drama Hope Springs.

A BBC spokesman defended the show, saying: "We very much welcome feedback from our viewers. We will certainly take these comments on board.

"We recognise that any change in a programme takes viewers a while to get used to, but are confident fans will enjoy what we have planned.

"We took a decision to change River City's shooting style and lighting, which isn't unusual. East-Enders and Emmerdale have been through similar revamps."

What utter TOSH. Why change a successful format just for the sake of it and seemingly to keep up with the national masses. This will be due to the new/existing production team trying to justify their existence/high salaries by devising "innovative" new strategies to boost viewer ratings and at the same time their monthly 1-1 appraisals and the usual performance reviews.

Kind Suggestion: Bag it n Bin it. It's the right thing to do. And get RC back to NORMAL.