I really despise Libby from Neighbours

2»

Comments

• SammieSquirrelSammieSquirrel Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nazahm87 wrote: »
    Right but I'm sure she's fully aware of the fact that she's lucky to have Ben

Would be nice if we actually saw some evidence of this.

The main reason we're all so annoyed with Saint Libby is that she's always the first to point out the wrongs in others lives but never notices the fact that she's often done the same thing herself.

Whenever she gets annoyed with Karl she brings up his 'affair' - she preached at Steph for dating a married man but at no time acknowledged that she did the very same thing with Dan who was tring to make a go of things with Sam.

The motto being: Do as I say, not as I do. ;)
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The main reason we're all so annoyed with Saint Libby is that she's always the first to point out the wrongs in others lives but never notices the fact that she's often done the same thing herself.

Whenever she gets annoyed with Karl she brings up his 'affair' - she preached at Steph for dating a married man but at no time acknowledged that she did the very same thing with Dan who was tring to make a go of things with Sam.

Not to mention the fact that she had an affair with a pupile while she was a teacher at Erinsborough High.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's just something about her that sets my teeth on edge - her and Steph - self-righteous, selfish and like someone else said, 'do as I say, not s I do'. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,082
    Forum Member
    Not to mention the fact that she had an affair with a pupile while she was a teacher at Erinsborough High.

She has admitted she was foolish about her affair with Taj though when the whole Rachel/Angus thing happened so she didn't preach there.
    Forum Member

Fair enough but I just don't like the way that so many people are having a go at her for wanting another baby so desperately - she has every right to no matter how selfish people may think she is!

Like I have said a hundred times: I don't begrudge anyone wanting a baby even if they already have a child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough but I just don't like the way that so many people are having a go at her for wanting another baby so desperately - she has every right to no matter how selfish people may think she is!

Like I have said a hundred times: I don't begrudge anyone wanting a baby even if they already have a child.

I do agree with you that it's perfectly fine and natural for her to want another child, but at times she really doesn't seem to appreciate that at least she has Ben.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course there's nothing wrong with her wanting a baby, but when she physically can't, I find it quite annoying the way she seems to feel like it's her absolute right to have this expensive procedure and granted Susan wants to do it, but Libby doesn't seem too concerned on how Susan will be with it all, she disregarded Karl completely until he relented and has Dan even been actually asked?

Plus there are other possible channels to have a child, it comes across as very annoying and stubborn the whole way she's going about this, demanding answers, screaming at Jodie the Nurse, screaming at Elle (Who again didn't actually do anything against Libby or Susan as when the bad story was published noone knew who it was)

Whilst it's perfectly natural to want a baby, sometimes it's time to just accept that you can't and look at other more plausible (Because this surrogacy with her ill, ageing mother, doesn't seem the most plausible way at all) ways or just be happy that although you can't have a child, you have the rest of your health, she has a husband and she has a child and clearly has a family that loves her and close friends. To me it seems very selfish and spoilt to still be demanding more as if the rest don't matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ames2uk wrote: »
    I thought that as well. For years all we had was Libby muttering about how she wanted to be a journo, so how come all of a sudden journos are the scum of the earth????

I'm sure she had a very bad experience with an editor or something that made her realise it wasn't the job for her. I can't exactly remember the storyline, but I remember, I think it was after Kym's pregnancy and just before she left in 2005, there was a storyline which involved her old editor and she hated him and everything to do with the paper, so it is still being consistent. I wish I could remember what happened though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure she had a very bad experience with an editor or something that made her realise it wasn't the job for her. I can't exactly remember the storyline, but I remember, I think it was after Kym's pregnancy and just before she left in 2005, there was a storyline which involved her old editor and she hated him and everything to do with the paper, so it is still being consistent. I wish I could remember what happened though!

Was that when they introduced the random Genevieve character who was Libby's nemesis?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You Mean Geri Hallett I think? She was Libby's "Arch-Enemy from Uni"

I just had a read over Libby's Journalism Career and a lot of it I forgot

http://www.perfectblend.net/neighbourhood/bio/kennedy-libby.htm

Her first published pieces were written under a false name and were ALL about the people living in Ramsay Street!!! I actually hate her treatment of Elle even more now, at least Elle has the courage to put her own name and has a vested interest now since she's the editor, she has to make hard decisions. She even wrote a story about her best friend! I totally don't remember this, but I remember the Newsagent being held up which happened before it lol

Then it seems she was almost hired by another paper, but was dropped because she was pregnant, she sued the paper for discrimination (Which is what she is doing now, must be her favourite word) and got a payout but the Erinsborough News stopped publishing her stories because the editor was friends with the other newspaper's editor and she became blacklisted as a journalist. (I Kinda remember this now after re-reading) Then she set up a magazine but her partner took the idea to the newspaper Libby had sued and ended up as an editor there so Libby had to go it alone, then she started to get into teaching after giving a talk about journalism and helping out Connor and Boyd.

So although she was angry at the two editors in particular, it actually makes me feel less sympathetic towards her now I realise she did exactly the same thing years ago! And it wasn't Paul or Elle who discriminated against her was it!

Paul and Elle work at a newspaper so I suppose if anything Libby should understand that it's about Stories before the actual people.
    Forum Member
    Of course there's nothing wrong with her wanting a baby, but when she physically can't, I find it quite annoying the way she seems to feel like it's her absolute right to have this expensive procedure and granted Susan wants to do it, but Libby doesn't seem too concerned on how Susan will be with it all, she disregarded Karl completely until he relented and has Dan even been actually asked?

Plus there are other possible channels to have a child, it comes across as very annoying and stubborn the whole way she's going about this, demanding answers, screaming at Jodie the Nurse, screaming at Elle (Who again didn't actually do anything against Libby or Susan as when the bad story was published noone knew who it was)

Whilst it's perfectly natural to want a baby, sometimes it's time to just accept that you can't and look at other more plausible (Because this surrogacy with her ill, ageing mother, doesn't seem the most plausible way at all) ways or just be happy that although you can't have a child, you have the rest of your health, she has a husband and she has a child and clearly has a family that loves her and close friends. To me it seems very selfish and spoilt to still be demanding more as if the rest don't matter.

I thought the whole reason Libby is going for the surrogacy option is because there is no other way for her to have a child? :confused: I did miss a couple of months of Neighbours - around the time where Libby lost her baby so I'm not entirely sure what happened but I got the impression that she could no longer have children because of a hysterectomy or something? Surely then, if you want a child that is biologically yours, your only option is surrogacy and IVF? :confused: Sorry I'm really not sure what Libby's case is so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

To be honest in the case of Elle its kind of "the boy who cried wolf" scenario in the sense that her and her father have done some nasty, evil things to the residents in the past and even though they are much better people know, unfortunately the past will always haunt you and tarnish your reputation so when you actually are telling the truth people (particularly the Kennedy's!) are likely to not believe you. Had Elle and Paul been their friends from the offset and weren't nasty (which would've been boring ;)) then I'm sure that Libby would've believed that they had no idea who the story was about.

Plus, it was Susan who offered to be a surrogate in the first place, its not like Libby demanded her to do it. Let's not forget the fact that she refused to have Steph be surrogate once she discovered pregnancy could make her cancer return even though Steph really insisted she'd be fine. So she's not as selfish as everyone is making out IMO.

Also, I'm sorry but I don't think its annoying that she feels its her absolute right to have the expensive procedure - this procedure was created by scientists to give those who can't have children the normal way that absolute right. It's something that every woman out there (and man) is entitled to. The fact that IVF doesn't have a great success rate also shows how desperate people out there to have a baby, theres no guarantee at all even if your surrogate is a fit 21-year-old blonde or something! These risks, the large possibility of disappointment I feel add to someones absolute right to the procedure.

Sometimes, our desperation makes us decide to do things which aren't likely to be successful - like having our ageing mother act as a surrogate. It's just one of the many human emotions that make us so stubborn and difficult for others to understand. It also can cloud us from what we do already have and take it for granted unfortunately. That's just life. I think its very realistic for Libby to be acting this way and praise Neighbours for it, I think this reaction is exactly what they wanted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's the one!

Totally forgot that Libby slept with Brett Stark - she does seem to have a thing for brothers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Oh god no! Steph and Drew would not have worked! IMO Libby and Drew were perfect for eachother, and if I remember correctly it was Drew who was hopelessly in love with Libby first so really he got his claws into her and not the other way round.

Steph's sudden whining about how much she loved Drew really got on my goat the other day. She seems to have forgotten how much she loved Max! They were the perfect couple and the only reason Neighbours so STUPIDLY made him lose his memory and leave and stuff is because the actor wanted to leave - otherwise I really believe Max Hoyland was her Drew Kirk of that era. Two days after she moans about how perfect Drew was she suddenly finds she fancies Lucas aswell who incidentally is already with someone! Seems she's unable to want to get her claws into a man who's actually on the market :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness, at last someone else who feels the same way as me about Steph. She is so interfering and when she was talking to Libby about how much she loved Drew I wanted to jump in the tele and hit her. I've never disliked a character so much.
  • dmwatdmwat Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I almost like Libby and then she gets all holier than thou with someone and I remember how annoying she is. Steph bugs me as well, especially when she's with Libby. I think the real nail in the coffin of me liking either of them is their feud with Elle because Elle is one of the best characters in Neighbours.
    Hopefully when
    Dan leaves
    she'll be restored to her former glory.
    Will the character leave though or will they just get a new actor to play him?
    Whilst it's perfectly natural to want a baby, sometimes it's time to just accept that you can't and look at other more plausible (Because this surrogacy with her ill, ageing mother, doesn't seem the most plausible way at all)
    What I don't understand about the surrogacy story is why it has to be Susan. Surely if the hospital aren't happy with her mother carrying the child then she could try and find someone else. That's obviously allowed in Australia because Steph offered originally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazzied wrote: »
    Oh my goodness, at last someone else who feels the same way as me about Steph. She is so interfering and when she was talking to Libby about how much she loved Drew I wanted to jump in the tele and hit her. I've never disliked a character so much.

Isn't it strange how some people like a character and some really don't. I like Steph but I'm not that keen on Libby, altho' she's not my worst character on Neighbours. That award goes to Bridget and Sunny of the current cast.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member

Well said.
  • CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
    Forum Member

I just had a read over Libby's Journalism Career and a lot of it I forgot

http://www.perfectblend.net/neighbourhood/bio/kennedy-libby.htm

Her first published pieces were written under a false name and were ALL about the people living in Ramsay Street!!! I actually hate her treatment of Elle even more now, at least Elle has the courage to put her own name and has a vested interest now since she's the editor, she has to make hard decisions. She even wrote a story about her best friend! I totally don't remember this, but I remember the Newsagent being held up which happened before it lol

Then it seems she was almost hired by another paper, but was dropped because she was pregnant, she sued the paper for discrimination (Which is what she is doing now, must be her favourite word) and got a payout but the Erinsborough News stopped publishing her stories because the editor was friends with the other newspaper's editor and she became blacklisted as a journalist. (I Kinda remember this now after re-reading) Then she set up a magazine but her partner took the idea to the newspaper Libby had sued and ended up as an editor there so Libby had to go it alone, then she started to get into teaching after giving a talk about journalism and helping out Connor and Boyd.

So although she was angry at the two editors in particular, it actually makes me feel less sympathetic towards her now I realise she did exactly the same thing years ago! And it wasn't Paul or Elle who discriminated against her was it!

Paul and Elle work at a newspaper so I suppose if anything Libby should understand that it's about Stories before the actual people.

I too had forgotten about all this. Shows I was right. She seems to like suing people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire plot is absurd.As f any sane medic would allow a woman shoving 60 with MS to bear a child.There are hundreds of women on surrogacy list cleared as physically and emotionally fit to carry other peoples child to life.The story sends out a terrible message and now thy want to sling in "discrimination" to drag it out.Disgraceful storyline.

Both Libby (Little Ms Perfect and oh so sanctimonious ) and Steph ( I am so achingly cool and one of lads) are irritating beyond words. Dan is the arch wimp of a hen pecked husband. And Racheal ,with Paul ,needs her head read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't despise Libby, she's a neighbours legend!

She's quite a multi-dimensional character ranging from the way she is towards her family, Dan, her close relationship with students and Libby the person as a teacher.

Saw a spoiler, in an upcoming episode, anyone know any more?

Apparently.
    Episode 5777: Susan catches Libby cheating with Ringo ?????? What ???? Surely that is not realistic ?? If it's true then I think it's a mistake, since I don't see how it could be justified as to how it actually could happen