Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

1282930313234»

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many also don't want to perform under the banner of GB in the Olympic games as they don't like the English.
    Could you name one Scot who refused to represent Great Britain in the Olympics? Never mind "many"; can you think of any?

Obviously none of these Scottish medallists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Olympic_medallists

Just like the English, Welsh or Northern Irish, Scots regard it as a great achievement to be selected for the British team, and even more of an achievement to win a medal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    CJ32 wrote: »
    Actually, that would be Djokovic, who also reached the semis this Wimbledon. :p

Djokovic is number 3 in the world, has a slam (the Australian Open) and has more career titles than Murray (17 to 14). Same age as Murray as well (well, just a week younger).

Djokovic is the incoming (as of next Monday) number 2, after Berdych knocked Federer out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    When Henman made the semi's do you think people in scotland had him plastered over their papers and put flags and bunting up to support that great britain ? please lol
  • lilhunni_Jolilhunni_Jo Posts: 13,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Djokovic is number 3 in the world, has a slam (the Australian Open) and has more career titles than Murray (17 to 14). Same age as Murray as well (well, just a week younger).

The age thing is less relevant though - it is how long they have been pro for, which is 2 years longer for Djokovic than Murray, therefore it kinda makes sense he's done more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The age thing is less relevant though - it is how long they have been pro for, which is 2 years longer for Djokovic than Murray, therefore it kinda makes sense he's done more.

He's still currently better than Murray and the rankings are showing that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English and I don't hate Andy Murray. (Just for the record). :)
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually, you will find you've quoted a post from last year, when Murray was indeed 3rd in the World :p
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Murray being interviewed as to why Wimbledon is important "Because its a Grand Slam"..........there you have it, it means no more to him than any other Grand Slam

Any updates on how many times 'Lawro' has changed his mind this week?

Anyway
    I want to win it for myself, the guys I work with and for the UK. I'm a little bit more disappointed than other Grand Slams because this one is the biggest of the year for me.

That shows that you are talking shite.
    ziderhead wrote: »
    When Henman made the semi's do you think people in scotland had him plastered over their papers and put flags and bunting up to support that great britain ? please lol

There are certain parts of the country where red, white and blue bunting and Union flags are up all the time and yes, Henman was plastered all over the papers up here as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read this thread so it's probably already been discussed but had to laugh to myself at The Sun today/yesterday (it's now 1.20am!) The day before Murray lost they had a 20 point list as to why he's very 'English' therefore it's ok to support him, the day after he lost the sub-headline was 'och ay the noo' and the article began "SCOTTISH Tennis ace Andy Murray..." with typical references to Braveheart, etc etc. LOL! sigh.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timboy wrote: »
    Any updates on how many times 'Lawro' has changed his mind this week?

Anyway

That shows that you are talking shite.

There are certain parts of the country where red, white and blue bunting and Union flags are up all the time and yes, Henman was plastered all over the papers up here as well.

Yes, he picked Brazil, so has now changed his mind, but as you such an avid follower of my posts, you will know that. Nice to have a few fans, thanks.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysticalan wrote: »
    I'm English and I don't hate Andy Murray. (Just for the record). :)
    And I'm Scottish and I wanted to see Tim Henman win Wimbledon, though admittedly I never had a lot of confidence that he would so so.

There is some terribly ill-informed stuff on this thread from people who know little or nothing about Scotland or the Scots, who have presumably never visited the place but have picked up some half-baked notions from somewhere. Frankly, I'm surprised at the depth of their ignorance and prejudice and the degree of their hostility. It all seems very odd.

The best summary of the situation was given by Midnight Falcon a few days ago:
    There is an equal ratio of w*nkers on both sides of the border.

Still, maybe we can now forget this nonsense for another year.
  • akhenatenakhenaten Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny how the scottish are so vicious in there hate for anything english, but can't understand it when it's the other way

.Although i have never had a problem with any socttish person ive met. my brother came home from a holiday in glasgow early because even though it was his girlfriends family he stayed with they did'nt like the english and they certainly made him know they did'nt like the english.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    akhenaten wrote: »
    It's funny how the scottish are so vicious in there hate for anything english, but can't understand it when it's the other way

.Although i have never had a problem with any socttish person ive met. my brother came home from a holiday in glasgow early because even though it was his girlfriends family he stayed with they did'nt like the english and they certainly made him know they did'nt like the english.

Bit of a generalistion isn't it?

I'm not like that and neither are the overwhelming majority of people I know.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray is on James Cordens show now, and comes across as the nice bloke I've previously seen. Not at all surly or arrogant etc, and he has explained the joke about the English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Murray is on James Cordens show now, and comes across as the nice bloke I've previously seen. Not at all surly or arrogant etc, and he has explained the joke about the English.

Now now dont confuse the situation with fact...:D:D

Loved Andys rapping.........he was soooo embarrassed..poor soul