Advice on applying for budgeting loan

wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
Forum Member
It says on the form to state what savings you have and that can affect the amount you will be offered. The whole point of savings is that is hard earned money that is put away incase things get really bad and you need to start using them. Do people be honest and put the real amount of savings in there? For instance what if you put £1000 in there? Would they only offer you like £50 or something? I do need the loan to buy household goods and if i was to use my own savings it would not leave me with much hence the reason i am applying for the loan. What is the best thing to do?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use your savings, as the interest you would pay back on a loan is far more then you get back in the interest of any savings.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    You don't pay any interest back when you get a budgeting loan from the social security.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your asking for a budgeting loan instead of using your savings????

Why don't you use your savings and then whatever money you would have used to pay off the loan pay back into your savings account.

Just because the money is available for you to apply for it doesn't mean you have to have it. Personally I think it is a ridiculous idea of even asking for it if you have savings that would cover the costs of what you want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says on the form to state what savings you have and that can affect the amount you will be offered. The whole point of savings is that is hard earned money that is put away incase things get really bad and you need to start using them. Do people be honest and put the real amount of savings in there? For instance what if you put £1000 in there? Would they only offer you like £50 or something? I do need the loan to buy household goods and if i was to use my own savings it would not leave me with much hence the reason i am applying for the loan. What is the best thing to do?
    You don't pay any interest back when you get a budgeting loan from the social security.

How was I suppose to know that the loan was from the social?
    Forum Member
    Where else would you get a loan called a 'budgeting loan'? OK i accept i never said that in the opening post. Icelady not everyone wants to dip into their savings to buy things they need. They don't exactly pay a lot being on the social and i don't want to literally be sitting with no money. I've never applied for a loan before so i don't know how it all works. Apparantly you only pay a small amount back each week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Where else would you get a loan called a 'budgeting loan'? OK i accept i never said that in the opening post. Icelady not everyone wants to dip into their savings to buy things they need. They don't exactly pay a lot being on the social and i don't want to literally be sitting with no money. I've never applied for a loan before so i don't know how it all works. Apparantly you only pay a small amount back each week.

No not everyone WANTS to - but everyone else HAS to - why on earth should social pay you a loan when you have savings??
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is a troll thread or what.

Basically the budgeting loan is for people in dire need. If you have savings but don't want to use them then you're not in dire need (maybe dire want? lol)

Either way, be careful lying, they may want proof.
    Forum Member
    Well there is nothing that says they can't give you a loan if you have savings and they can't give you less than £100.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm speechless :eek: I really am.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    You may find the information on advice guide helpful.

You may have savings of up to £1000 or £2000 if you are over 60. The minimum size of the loan is £100 and the maximum is £1500.

If you have savings above the £1000 limit then the loan awarded is reduced by the amount of the excess capital. For example if you have £1100 in savings and applied for a loan of £300. They calculate that in your circumstances you may receive a loan for the full amount. The amount loaned would be reduced by the size of exceess capital which is £100 and you would therefore receive a loan of £200.

The main condition when applying for a budgeting loan is that you must have been on income support, jobseekers allowance (income based), employment and support allowance (income based), or pension credit for at least 26 weeks.

The amount they award depends on numerous variables which include your personal circumstances and the circumstances of your local authority.

I hope that helps.:)
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    actually - forget it i dont want to get involved, sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    I'm speechless :eek: I really am.

So am I :eek:
    Forum Member
    theogre wrote: »
    You may find the information on advice guide helpful.

You may have savings of up to £1000 or £2000 if you are over 60. The minimum size of the loan is £100 and the maximum is £1500.

If you have savings above the £1000 limit then the loan awarded is reduced by the amount of the excess capital. For example if you have £1100 in savings and applied for a loan of £300. They calculate that in your circumstances you may receive a loan for the full amount. The amount loaned would be reduced by the size of exceess capital which is £100 and you would therefore receive a loan of £200.

The main condition when applying for a budgeting loan is that you must have been on income support, jobseekers allowance (income based), employment and support allowance (income based), or pension credit for at least 26 weeks.

The amount they award depends on numerous variables which include your personal circumstances and the circumstances of your local authority.

I hope that helps.:)

Thankyou for that information, that helps me out a lot and explains it a lot better than the paperwork i have does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    A little story about my budgeting loan.

After my father died I applied for a funeral grant which was accepted but left me with £466 still left to pay. So I applied for a bugeting loan for that amount being honest telling them what it was for, It was refused on the grounds that the reason wasn't one of the accepted reasons.

So I reapplied with reason as wanting new clothes.

I recieved £450 of the £500 I applied for :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty easy going and liberal about these things.... but wtf? If you have savings then use them, thats what they are for.

Budgeting loans are for people who really need help and have no other way of getting it. Its not a bottomless pit of money- there is a finite amount and you applying for some when you already have saving is selfish and thoughtless.

I looked into getting a budgeting loan for help with emergency home move costs- the most you will get as a single person is about £400.

As another poster said- use your saving and then pay what you would have repaid the social in to your savings account.
    Forum Member
    Job Seeker wrote: »
    A little story about my budgeting loan.

After my father died I applied for a funeral grant which was accepted but left me with £466 still left to pay. So I applied for a bugeting loan for that amount being honest telling them what it was for, It was refused on the grounds that the reason wasn't one of the accepted reasons.

So I reapplied with reason as wanting new clothes.

I recieved £450 of the £500 I applied for :rolleyes:

Did you treat yourself to some new shoes and t shirts? :p

Take a look at that poster, mr or mrs Job Seeker. They know what i'm talking about or another great poster like elke. They give advice when needed, they don't sit and point fingers and judge and for the record i don't exactly have tons and tons of money in my savings account. If the Job Centre says no, you cannot apply if you have savings then i agree, i shouldn't be doing it. But when the Job Centre say you have to state what savings you have, that means they will offer you something. I'm entitled to it. Don't think i'm a bad man just because i'm applying for a budgeting loan and have some savings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    How was I suppose to know that the loan was from the social?

i will stand beside you , its known as a crisis loan round here and the SS refer to it as such ..............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have savings and can apply because that's the rules, then fair enough. You didn't set the rules, although I don't agree with them and agree savings should be used before handouts (for lack of a nicer/better way of putting it).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to pay for things I need either. My money is my money right?

Who wants to be my benefactor. Those with a tight budget need not apply. :cool:
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moosifer wrote: »
    I'm pretty easy going and liberal about these things.... but wtf? If you have savings then use them, thats what they are for.

Budgeting loans are for people who really need help and have no other way of getting it. Its not a bottomless pit of money- there is a finite amount and you applying for some when you already have saving is selfish and thoughtless.

Agree totally. No wonder we are in such a mess in this country.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i will stand beside you , its known as a crisis loan round here and the SS refer to it as such ..............

Budgeting and crisis loans are different. Crisis loans are for day to day living expenses and usually a small amount. Budget loans are larger and for expenses such as needing a new washing machine and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a wind up surely.

If you can afford to save, you don't need a state hand out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Budgeting and crisis loans are different. Crisis loans are for day to day living expenses and usually a small amount. Budget loans are larger and for expenses such as needing a new washing machine and so on.

ahhhhhh sorry , my apologies :o
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...............not everyone wants to dip into their savings to buy things they need.......

I quite agree ....... but most of us can't do anything about that.
    ................. They don't exactly pay a lot being on the social..........

How absolutely dreadful of them.

Sorry, but your remarks came over as a little arrogant.
    Forum Member
    The form says community care grant, budgeting loan, crisis loan, sure start maternity grant and funeral payment. Surely if anyone is desperately needing the money they will apply for a crisis loan? Not a budgeting loan. Their completely different. I'm not perfect, i have had to dip into my savings but there is things i need at home and that's why i am applying for this loan. I've never applied for any kind of loan in my life, i was only asking for some advice on it. I'm not someone that's constantly sponging off the system.