'Chaplin' starring Robert Downey jr

RIPfatpatRIPfatpat Posts: 154
Forum Member
I never even knew this movie was made!! Just was watching some Charlie Chaplin clips on youtube and the user comments said things like "Robert downey jr was excellent in the movie of his life" etc, I must seek this film out!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    If I remember rightly Downey was nominated for an Oscar for the film. It has to be about 15 years old I would guess.

It also has Chaplin's grand-daughter playing Chaplin's mother.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I watched it on its cinema release and loved it but have never watched it again.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good film with an outstanding performance from Downey. I recommend a viewing.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    He is one of the best living character actors around,loved the film, he had me hooked as CC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent movie as I remember. Downey Jr is superb. Again.
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly Downey was nominated for an Oscar for the film. It has to be about 15 years old I would guess.

Its actually 20 years old now!

Downey Jr was excellent in the movie and should have got an Oscar! I always feel sad thinking how he threw away at least 10 years of his career due to his addiction :cry:
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great film.

It really is one of my favourites.
    Robert Downey jr gives one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I've hardly seen it on TV. It never seems to get shown. It might have sneaked under my radar but I haven't seen it on television for many years.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cry my eyes out at the end of this movie!
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chaplin is one of my favourite films.:)

Downey Jnr is great in it. You can actually understand his English accent in it, unlike the one he uses on Sherlock Holmes. Subtitles please!

Dan Aykroyd is pretty good in the film too. And for all the pervs out there, you get a nakey Milla Jovovich.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In years to come people will look back on Downey Jr's body of work with real praise won't they.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at the UK première of this film (Attenborough did it at the Leicester Odeon - his local cinema - when I worked there!). The film was excellent - well worth a watch and much better than I thought.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quick heads up, this excellent film is showing tonight free to air on Sony Movies (Sky channel 323, 324 for plus one).
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Beautiful film. Downey Junior is outstanding in it.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it is a superb performance by Downey Jnr. He manages all of Chaplin's silent movie mannerisms very well without going into parody. His performance was probably the best male performance of 1992, but he was up against Clint Eastwood for Unforgiven(a pretty good performance in a superb film) and Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman(basically he was owed one for either Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon or The Godfather Part 2), so Downey Jnr. wasn't in with much hope of Oscar joy.

The film is quite an interesting biopic and as mentioned above it features Chaplin's granddaughter. It also features David Duchovny(X-Files) and Deborah Moore(daughter of Roger).

I think the film did get a bit of a critical pasting, but Downey Jnr.'s performance was praised.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good film. Could have been a bit longer imo.
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    amazing movie,one i need to see again soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Excellent movie as I remember. Downey Jr is superb. Again.

I was just about to say what a great movie this is and then I noticed this and how old the thread is.

My comment still stands. :D
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it too on Sony Movie.

It is really good and Robert Downey Jnr is brilliant and I think this was at the time he was kind of still messed up. Was really surprised that Attenborough took a risk on him, but it really payed off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I've had this film sat somewhere on my shelf for years. Never watched it. I forgot I had it. Might stick it on after the tennis. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Great film, and the closest documentary to the truth... I think his family backed it
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,173
    Forum Member

It was actually Chaplin's daughter Geraldine who played his mother.