Webpage keeps flickering and disappearing.

jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Toshiba laptop, Windows 7, IE8.

Every so often, the webpage I'm looking at will flicker on and off, and my desktop will appear. However, there's an addition to the desktop - a small rectangle in the centre, showing two thumbnails, one of the desktop, and one of the webpage. A 'heading' in the rectangle says "desktop".

After a spot of googling, I thought it might be the "peek at desktop" tool, so I went to the 'show desktop' rectangle at bottom right, right-clicked and unticked "peek at desktop".

However, it's still happening, and it's extremely annoying. And the cursor is usually somewhere around the centre of the screen when it happens.

Any advice?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Try another browser. I avoid IE.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Try another browser. I avoid IE.

I recommend Chrome or Firefox.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firefox has just been updated to version 19 but you may need to do a manual update to get it.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've reset IE8 - and still got it happening.

I then dowloaded and opened Firefox; a few things I didn't like:

1) I have a lot of folders in Favourites; I could see only the first half of them.

2) FF put one of my Favourites,and then a few of its own, into the equivalent of IE8's Favourites Bar. I deleted the ones I didn't want, but couldn't see how to move others in.

3) I have IE8 set to 150% zoom. With FF I had to zoom in to every page.

And I still got the webpage flicker - so presumably it's something from Windows 7.

(I've left FF installed, but gone back to IE8).
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've reset IE8 - and still got it happening.

I then dowloaded and opened Firefox; a few things I didn't like:

1) I have a lot of folders in Favourites; I could see only the first half of them.

2) FF put one of my Favourites,and then a few of its own, into the equivalent of IE8's Favourites Bar. I deleted the ones I didn't want, but couldn't see how to move others in.

3) I have IE8 set to 150% zoom. With FF I had to zoom in to every page.

And I still got the webpage flicker - so presumably it's something from Windows 7.

(I've left FF installed, but gone back to IE8).
    Its possible its a flash/video drivers issue, so I would check the video drivers out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alas, I wouldn't have the first idea how to do that.

After googling, I wondered if it had anything yo do with Aero, since I was using an Aero theme for the desktop. So I moved to a plain blue one.

Now I get a blue box telling me the name of the website I have open! clicking on the box takes me back to the webpage, but I'm getting a bit fed up with it.

I have 'Aero peek' turned off, but it still operates if I press Alt/Tab.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you are not accidentally leaning on any keys or resting a hand on the trackpad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a possibilty, I have a habit of resting on the trackpad.

Having read a number of webpages which say that you turn Aero off by going into screen settings and selecting a non-Aero theme, I've now got the Windows Basic screen. So now instead of a narrow box with thumbnails of my desktop and the webpage I'm on, I get a large blue box which gives (while I'm in DS) the thread title.

Where on earth have "Troubleshooting" and "Device drivers" disappeared to?
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why you have not upgraded to IE9/IE10?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually wait till other people have found all the bugs before I move to a new version.

However, I think it's a Windows problem rather than IE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solved it.

I use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down a page. I noticed that if I applied the slightest bit of pressure downwards (as opposed to the down direction, if you follow) then the webpage disappeared and the blue box appeared.

Looking at my microsoft mouse settings, I found that the wheel was set to 'flip', whatever that is. A bit more research, and I found that it meant being able to see all the open windows.

I've no idea when or how it got set to that, but I've changed it to 'Page Down'. And I now can't replicate the problem. :)
    Forum Member
    I usually wait till other people have found all the bugs before I move to a new version.

However, I think it's a Windows problem rather than IE.

You may be better off with a couple of bugs than having an unsecure browser.

IE 9 was released in 2011 so I'm sure by now most bugs should be sorted out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two years ago? Far too soon for me. :)
    Forum Member
    Only two years ago? Far too soon for me. :)

Have fun with the ten thousand hackers you have with IE8 then. I hope you don't do online banking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I don't - it's far too newfangled for me.