The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame for Utopia Its such a good show. I doubt it will get a 3rd series now. Fingers crossed it don't end on a cliff hanger

Has channel 4 ever renewed a show with such low ratings?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Shame for Utopia Its such a good show. I doubt it will get a 3rd series now. Fingers crossed it don't end on a cliff hanger

Toast of London ?

I don't think that one will ever be topped. Genuinely stunned that that one is coming back.

There was absolutely nothing in the data to make it remotely worth considering. Started at a crazy low level, ended on a crazy low level.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Toast of London ?

I don't think that one will ever be topped. Genuinely stunned that that one is coming back.

In terms of ratings, yes but it`s quality as is The Mimic and Utopia. It`s reassuring to see someone at C4 recommissions taking into consideration things other than ratings.

Perhaps they`ll offer Kelly a feature length ep in lieu of a third series to finish off Utopia?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »

The Mimic and Toast Of London were renewed with even lower ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn`t Man Down a low-rater as well?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Wasn`t Man Down a low-rater as well?

Yes. Add that to the list too.
    Forum Member
    In terms of ratings, yes but it`s quality as is The Mimic and Utopia. It`s reassuring to see someone at C4 recommissions taking into consideration things other than ratings.
    I could understand a quality piece adored by critics getting renewed by C4 if it was under 1M but above about 700,000.

But shows with less than 400,000 viewers IMO are rating too low to be worth bringing back, regardless of quality. If it was that good, it wouldn't have been rating that far below the slot average.

10PM used to be a big slot for Channel Four and now it's almost a daily struggle. Bringing back shows that didn't cut the mustard first time does not help them progress. It comes to a point where you just shouldn't ignore what the data is telling you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could understand a quality piece adored by critics getting renewed by C4 if it was under 1M but above about 700,000.

But shows with less than 400,000 viewers IMO are rating too low to be worth bringing back, regardless of quality. If it was that good, it wouldn't have been rating that far below the slot average.

I can`t see them commissioning a third either. God knows what it`ll end on - 300k? Discerning critics do love it and Fincher`s remaking it for HBO so perhaps that might have some impact in terms of finishing the story off via a special.

It IS good - The public are ****ing idiots is why it`s tanking.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree. TV & Satellite Week has a dedicated sport section which will break all that down. It doesn't need to be detailed in a full length BBC Three column.

Ultimately it's their magazine and they can do what they want with the layout but you'll never convince me that its right for a channel that broadcasts a full complement of news, current affairs, factual, kids, entertainment and other genres to up to 30M viewers a week to lose its regular column space alongside C4 to a digital spinoff channel airing extra streaming and repeats, even for just a week.

So it's no hardship to turn several pages to find out what's on BBC3's coverage of the Commonwealth Games, but it is a hardship to turn over one page to find the C5 listings. If you want.

Radio Times used to do a lot with C5 about a decade ago, putting House (twice), CSI and Kirsty Young on the cover, and also organising the viewer votes for some of their countdown shows like Britain's Finest Actors. If C5 want that level of coverage again, they could do more stuff that appeals to Radio Times readers. Magazines are in the business of covering what their readers want them to cover.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

10PM used to be a big slot for Channel Four and now it's almost a daily struggle. Bringing back shows that didn't cut the mustard first time does not help them progress. It comes to a point where you just shouldn't ignore what the data is telling you.

To be fair, there are some times when a programme does OK, is then renewed and ends up being huge. One of this is The Inbetweeners.it was doing relatively well I seem to remember that it was renewed by E4 for S2 after great word of mouth mostly even though S1 averaged around 350,000 which was below other shows, other shwos which did better were cancelled. However it came back in S2 averaging 1.1m as reruns really helped, and then S3 which averaged 3.5m, and is one of, if not the biggest show on E4 that they have ever had.

Same can be said with stuff like Big Bang Theory, it was doing average in S1 doing around 8m, then renewed it and then kept growing and growing and now hits 20m.

Two other ones that paid off was The Walking Dead and Game Of Thrones. TWD averaged 5.24m in S1, 6.90m in S2, 10.40m in S3 and 13.30m in S4 (final got 15.68m). GoT started with 2.2m and averaged 2.5m in S1, and S4 averaged 6.6m and the final got 7m+.

Maybe with the Utopia promotion, they expected It to break through and have it as CH4 golden show? So even though generally shows fall after its first season, Utopia seems like the sort of series that would increase due to word of mouth like GoT, however, it hasn't happened sadly for CH4.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I can`t see them commissioning a third either. God knows what it`ll end on - 300k? Discerning critics do love it and Fincher`s remaking it for HBO so perhaps that might have some impact in terms of finishing the story off via a special.

I always think this when something I love tanks but all shows need to appeal to a substantial core audience and this doesnt.
    Forum Member
    From DS

Nick and Margaret's latest BBC One special topped a quiet Tuesday outside soaps, overnight data reveals.

Too Many Immigrants? intrigued 3.45 million at 9pm, with an audience share of 17.3%. Summer's Supermarket Secrets was seen by 1.86m (16.8%) at 10.35pm.

On BBC Two, Mary Berry Cooks appealed to 1.15m (6.4%), followed by Hive Alive with 1.47m (8.0%) at 8pm and Coast with 1.77m (8.9%) at 9pm.

ITV's Love Your Garden attracted 2.22m (12.1%) at 8pm (196,000/1.0% on +1). A repeat of 56 Up brought in 1.68m (8.4%) at 9pm (221k/1.4%).

On Channel 4's Kirstie's Fill Your House for Free interested 1.21m (6.6%) at 8pm (193k/1.0%). Undercover Boss returned for a new series with 1.46m (7.3%) at 9pm (196k/1.2%), while Utopia continued with 417k (2.7%) at 10pm.

Channel 5's Dog Rescuers was seen by 1.11m (6.1%) at 8pm (166k/0.8%), followed by the latest CSI with 1.39m (6.9%) at 9pm (123k/0.8%) and Big Brother with 1.20m (7.6%) at 10pm.

BBC Three musical drama Glasgow Girls attracted 622k (3.9%) at 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I always think this when something I love tanks but all shows need to appeal to a substantial core audience and this doesnt.

Hollyoaks gets more viewers. Doesn`t speak well of the next generation does it?
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks gets more viewers. Doesn`t speak well of the next generation does it?

To be honest, Ch4 and Ch5 are younger channels so the audience would be a little different. Put Utopia on a different channel (BBC1 or ITV) it would do better.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Trevor McDonald is to explore the American mafia in a new ITV series.

The Mafia will see the news icon meeting individuals heavily connected to organised crime in the US.

The two-part 60 minute documentary series was shot in New York, Miami, Philadelphia and Southern California, and was produced by Plum Pictures.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a584491/trevor-mcdonald-to-meet-the-mafia-in-new-itv-series.html#~oKbtdHwinmQBka#ixzz37dbkU9zf
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Should do well. The docs with Trevor McDonald are always worth a watch
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps they`ll offer Kelly a feature length ep in lieu of a third series to finish off Utopia?

I dont think anyone over a certain age even bothers to look at what C4 is doing.It has lost all credibility in the last few years,when you think what it was like under Jeremy Isaacs,no other channel has fallen in both quality and perception ever I would say.
    So when they do actually make something worthwhile nobody knows about it.
    Forum Member
    5USA launches a new exclusive series tonight in the form of Chicago PD. Hopefully do well on a fairly quiet night elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJX8MbQezw

Coincidentally, at the exact same time the show premieres in the UK, on the other side of the Atlantic the cast will be busy doing their table-read for S2 EP1. :D

https://twitter.com/marinasqu/status/489118950752407552

5USA's Most Watched Programmes of 2014 (Officials)
    1. Longmire - Tuesday, January 7, 21:00 - 548,000
    2. NCIS - Monday, March 31, 22:00 - 505,000
    3. Body of Proof - Thursday, April 28, 21:00 - 470,000

5USA's Top Performing Series Premieres 2014 (Officials)
    1. Longmire - Tuesday, January 7, 21:00 - 548,000
    2. Played - Friday, January 17, 22:00 - 316,000
    3. Ironside - Tuesday, March 18, 21:00 - 283,000
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lets use More4 so I can finish watching it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    northlad wrote: »
    I dont think anyone over a certain age even bothers to look at what C4 is doing.It has lost all credibility in the last few years,when you think what it was like under Jeremy Isaacs,no other channel has fallen in both quality and perception ever I would say.
    So when they do actually make something worthwhile nobody knows about it.

Most people don`t hear about shows on the network they actually air on these days. They`re primed via other sources. I would`ve thought comic-book fans alone might have justified the Utopia commission but the ratings for Mon/Tues are just mystifying to me. If people can`t appreciate something this lovingly crafted then C4 should just air Gogglebox 24/7 where idiots can watch other idiots watching crap. The ultimate in self-reflexive television.
    Forum Member
    Most people don`t hear about shows on the network they actually air on these days. They`re primed via other sources. I would`ve thought comic-book fans alone might have justified the Utopia commission but the ratings for Mon/Tues are just mystifying to me. If people can`t appreciate something this lovingly crafted then C4 should just air Gogglebox 24/7 where idiots can watch other idiots watching crap. The ultimate in self-reflexive television.

Got to agree about Gogglebox and one of the best descriptions of it I have seen. :D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, rubbish. There's been a full daytime schedule, the regular news programmes, an entire series of Celebrity Masterchef, 'stEnders in its full compement of episodes each week, Holby every week, Casualty every week, Countryfile every week, a couple of dramas like Common, a couple of episodes of The Graham Norton Show, Ratings Thread fave Traffic Cops, the new John Bishop show, a couple more documentaries and, because it's the summer, repeats of things like Mrs Brown, WILTY and Live At The Appalling. Unless you have the most ridiculously specific tastes, or you watch telly all night every night, I fail to see how none of that appeals at all.

Steve, you have your opinions, I have mine. Full daytime schedules are meaningless when you are working everyday. My point was not that they have NOT shown a varied schedule but that the hours of sport far outweighs other genres and if a soap was on all day everyday for 11 days, albeit with varied storylines and focusing on different characters, would that be acceptable? But, I am not commenting further on this. I respect other posters viewpoints without calling their input "rubbish", my opinions and observations are just as relevant as everyone elses.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Promo for Dallas and other American dramas just aired on channel five. Says it's coming soon( cant see any date yet)
    Wonder what slot it will take.
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    Promo for Dallas and other American dramas just aired on channel five. Says it's coming soon( cant see any date yet)
    Wonder what slot it will take.
    The other dramas on the trailer are:

Wentworth Prison (Season 2)
    Under the Dome (Season 2)
    Suspects (Series 2)

I suspect they will screen Monday to Thursday at 10PM after CBB. Dallas deserves to be moved back up the schedule; in truth it should never have been moved to 11PM in the first place.

God knows what's happened to Body of Proof. It's been over 13 months now since Season 2 finished airing - and achieved very good numbers in the process, even for its rerun on 5USA - one would have thought it might be sensible to get such a successful show back on air as soon as possible.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Hopefully the same happens next week to stop ITV scheduling these stupid Tuesday clashes. I'm surprised how much Emmerdale was affected actually given it had the head start and has done better in the situation the past few months.
    Yes, not a very good result for Emmerdale with its head start. :D
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only three episodes of EastEnders in w/c 26th July:
    Monday 8pm, Tuesday, 8pm, Thursday, 7.30pm.

Holby City (Tuesday, 8.30pm) is the only other evening BBC One show to move to BBC Two.
This discussion has been closed.