Options

Dominic Treadwell-Collins. Sort it out!

Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll admit that the show is in a better state compared to this time last year, but there's still a huge void in the show with regards to storylines! It's highly irrtating because the cast is rock solid right now, and it has the best cast that we've seen in a long time. But Dominic isn't enticing us enough. He needs to tone down the Carter screentime, throw in more bg twists in the Lucy muder storyline and get at least 2 big hard-hitting and controversial storylines to get the nation talking.

I'm really not so sure that he's going to excel the Deidrick Santer era, which I first anticipated that he would. I like the heavy referencing to the past and the diversity of background characters that appear on the street, but it's just not enough to modernise the show, without doing the same with storylines The ratings are still pretty low, which just proves that existing viewers aren't bothered about the show. He's got until Autumn to tirn things around, but after that - if he doesn't pull a few surprising things out of the bag, he needs to go!

Comments

• Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    I'll admit that the show is in a better state compared to this time ladt year, but there's still a huge void in the show with regards to storylines! It's highly irrtating because the cast is rock solid right now, and it has the best cast that we've seen in a long time. But Dominic isn't enticing us enough. He needs to tone down the Carter screentime, throw in more bg twists in the Lucy muder storyline and get at least 2 big hard-hitting and controversial storylines to get the nation talking.

I'm really not so sure that he's going to excel the Deidrick Santer era, which I first anticipated that he would. I like the heavy referencing to the past and the diversity of background characters that appear on the street, but it's just not enough to modernise the show, without doing the same. The ratings are still pretty low, which just proves that existing viewers aren't bothered about the show. He's got until Autumn to tirn things around, but after that - if he doesn't pull a few surprising things out of the bag, he needs to go!

I agree. Complete disinterested at the moment.
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show may not be as interesting as it could be but it's definitely improved, and it looks like a fantastic Autumn and Winter. Summer is always a bit slower because it's when the majority of people are on holiday, the weather is (supposedly) nice and people are making the most of the light evenings and going out more.

What's the point of making the Summer action packed when most people aren't going to be watching? They may as well save the drama for an unmissable Autumn and Winter when more people are likely to watch.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he should cut back on some of the Carters.

Ditch Lee, Tosh and Deano.

Put Tina into a relationship with Sonia.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of strong storylines is what's working against EastEnders but I don't have much else to complain about aside from Carter domination. We don't need to see every moment in the lives of the Carter family. They can run The Vic and serve as background characters while other characters come to the fore. But first and foremost the storylines need to start taking off. It seems like nothing has progressed in months except Sharon's attack and her revenge against Phil but even that is stop and start while the Carters are never off the screen.
  • Options
    Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a pitiful excuse about the summer. Surely DTC would want to make an explosive summer as this would help the autumn stand a better chance. And how manu times have we heard about a 'big autumn/winter?' Kirkwood and Newman said the exact same things and look what we got!

Emmerdale are having a very big summer... It's doing wonders for them!
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are way to many carters, they were fantastic at the start but now they are being ruined and shoe horned into everything, It was much better at the start when it was just Shirley and Tina, Mick Linda and the 2 kids.

Shirley being Mick's real son is just ludicrous, and you have to think if Brian Kirkwood had done that people on here would be calling for his head.

Hate this thing with Rainie and have no idea why they bought her back.

Stacey's return has been terrible too, and I dont no what it is but her actings gone down hill, she always has this same dum expression on her face.

Cindy's teenage prenancy is just boring and has been done to death, even in Corrie with Fay they are being more original.

Lucy's murder is also dragging and getting boring, I think they should have killed her off around Oct/Nov time to reveal it for the 30th then it wouldn't have dragged on so long .
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the bloody kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a pitiful excuse about the summer. Surely DTC would want to make an explosive summer as this would help the autumn stand a better chance. And how manu times have we heard about a 'big autumn/winter?' Kirkwood and Newman said the exact same things and look what we got!

Emmerdale are having a very big summer... It's doing wonders for them!

It is somthing I'v always noticed about EE, they never ever seem to try during the summer.:confused:
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    The material should be consistent throughout the year regardless of what season we are in imo. We've had a few good weeks and a few bad weeks. With regards to the Carters, I like them, mainly Shirley but although she has taken a backseat over the last few weeks, the rest of them seem to be in every single episode?! Mick and Linda have been in almost 100 eps this year! The next couple of weeks, like last week are looking a little slow to me.:(
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are way to many carters, they were fantastic at the start but now they are being ruined and shoe horned into everything, It was much better at the start when it was just Shirley and Tina, Mick Linda and the 2 kids.

Shirley being Mick's real son is just ludicrous, and you have to think if Brian Kirkwood had done that people on here would be calling for his head.

Stacey's return has been terrible too, and I dont no what it is but her actings gone down hill, she always has this same dum expression on her face.

Cindy's teenage prenancy is just boring and has been done to death, even in Corrie with Fay they are being more original.

Lucy's murder is also dragging and getting boring, I think they should have killed her off around Oct/Nov time to reveal it for the 30th then it wouldn't have dragged on so long .

BIB, I'm sure you'd be pulling the exact same expression if you were in Stacey's shoes. I know I wouldn't be all smiles if I was in prison knowing that my daughter was going to be brought up horredously, either by my unstable Mum who can't cope or my distant relative that has kids of their own so wouldn't give Lily the affection she needs.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I'll admit that the show is in a better state compared to this time last year, but there's still a huge void in the show with regards to storylines! It's highly irrtating because the cast is rock solid right now, and it has the best cast that we've seen in a long time. But Dominic isn't enticing us enough. He needs to tone down the Carter screentime, throw in more bg twists in the Lucy muder storyline and get at least 2 big hard-hitting and controversial storylines to get the nation talking.

I'm really not so sure that he's going to excel the Deidrick Santer era, which I first anticipated that he would. I like the heavy referencing to the past and the diversity of background characters that appear on the street, but it's just not enough to modernise the show, without doing the same with storylines The ratings are still pretty low, which just proves that existing viewers aren't bothered about the show. He's got until Autumn to tirn things around, but after that - if he doesn't pull a few surprising things out of the bag, he needs to go!
    Agreed

Nothing is moving forward at all, it's all plodding along and TBH I think the show is really lacking without matriarchal figures like Pat and Peggy

At the moment Cora and Babe are the closest we have, and they're hardly the best

Everything is so confusing as there's just so much going on that is just going round in circles and the dialogue and stuff is always so secretive

I know people keep saying 'Just wait! The storylines will move on soon!' Well why can't we have some moving forward right now, some in a few months e.t.c to keep us excited?
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is nothing original about that. Its a desperate ploy to get headlines. Sarah Lou and Demi miller both gave birth at 13 so its hardly new either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's insulting that every year EastEnders trots out a load of rubbish in the Summer just because it's assumed correctly that casual viewers won't tune in. Don't the dedicated fans like us deserve to have quality storylines in the Summer regardless of whether fairweather fans are watching?

If anything should be looked at it's the attitude towards the ratings. It seems all the effort goes into the September to January peak ratings period and the rest of the year, especially June to August, is littered with filler storylines and the odd exciting episode here and there. It's been like this for years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing original about that. Its a desperate ploy to get headlines. Sarah Lou and Demi miller both gave birth at 13 so its hardly new either.

shes 12
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I think it's insulting that every year EastEnders trots out a load of rubbish in the Summer just because it's assumed correctly that casual viewers won't tune in. Don't the dedicated fans like us deserve to have quality storylines in the Summer regardless of whether fairweather fans are watching?

If anything should be looked at it's the attitude towards the ratings. It seems all the effort goes into the September to January peak ratings period and the rest of the year, especially June to August, is littered with filler storylines and the odd exciting episode here and there. It's been like this for years!
    Summers have been good previously though

I loved 2008 with Ronnie/Roxy in Weymouth and the introduction of Archie, 2010 I also really enjoyed with the teens in the woods and Lucas the serial killer, and 2011 with Whitney's prostitution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »

I loved 2008 with Ronnie/Roxy in Weymouth and the introduction of Archie, 2010 I also really enjoyed with the teens in the woods and Lucas the serial killer, and 2011 with Whitney's prostitution.

Whitney's prostitution was feb/March
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The difference is that I would hope and assume that Treadwell-Collins intends to fully explore the aftermath and how the reveal will affect everyone in the family, whereas Bryan Kirkwood would have killed about half the family off within five minutes of the truth coming out.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member

I agree with most of these accept a couple, I do like the idea of Shirley being Mick's mum and the additions of Stan and Aunt Babe - Tina, Mick and Linda are the three characters that seem to be shoehorned into everything and they have to be careful that people don't get sick of them. I like that Stan doesn't know and the reveal will affect the whole family, the aftermath I think DTC will explore more of the Carter history and relationships rather than it just being a sensationalist plot like I would expect from Kirkwood.

I also like Lucy's murder but I don't think that DTC should have revealed how long the s/l will last because anything that happens now may as well be discounted as a red herring as it's too early to reveal, unless he is double bluffing us.

I don't mind Rainie, they should pair her up with Nick but I would rather see her with Cora than scenes with Phil, I see a grizzly end for her, not a long term character in my book.

Stacey's return fell flat for me but then I wasn't much of a fan in the beginning, I think her return was mainly to increase ratings, they didn't really need her back and Cindy's pregnancy, I agree is boring and has been done to death, I would rather they had just had Ronnie's pregnancy and Kat/Alfie's twins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TellMeMore wrote: »
    The difference is that I would hope and assume that Treadwell-Collins intends to fully explore the aftermath and how the reveal will affect everyone in the family, whereas Bryan Kirkwood would have killed about half the family off within five minutes of the truth coming out.

LOL thats true, or they next week everyone would be back to normal, talking to eachother like it never happened, like Darren and Sandy:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't like any of that with the exception of Ronnie and Roxy reuniting with Archie but that only lasted a few episodes. Even this Summer we had a few good episodes. The Summer as a whole has been pretty dull. The last time I remember EastEnders going all out for a Summer storyline was Mad May stalking Dawn and blowing up her house which lasted for a few weeks.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree and I'm getting sick of the Carters.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes! You literally think the exact same as I do! The cast are amazing RN! He planted some nice seeds for the show in the winter/spring, but now he's feeding us with utter tripe! I'm just waiting for the autumn for things to hopefully turn around! I've said it before and I'll say it again, until they start working the same way they did 1985-2010/2011 they'll be unsuccessful! They just need to think of some very good storylines like emmerdale has been doing! Hollyoaks also think of good storylines but also mess them up! EastEnders wouldn't mess them up, so it's alright for them!
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're never gonna get the best out of a gritty east end soap with someone named "treadwell-collins" in charge are you?
  • Options
    Cosmic999Cosmic999 Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

congratulations, your opinion is officially invalid!
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed

Nothing is moving forward at all, it's all plodding along and TBH I think the show is really lacking without matriarchal figures like Pat and Peggy

At the moment Cora and Babe are the closest we have, and they're hardly the best

Everything is so confusing as there's just so much going on that is just going round in circles and the dialogue and stuff is always so secretive

I know people keep saying 'Just wait! The storylines will move on soon!' Well why can't we have some moving forward right now, some in a few months e.t.c to keep us excited?

The show has never been the same since peggy left, Elaine (Linda's mom) or someone a
    Could be brought in like a peggy figure, but this is my point, it hasn't been the same since she left not because she left and she was the shows main character, but because the writers are far too lazy and can't been arsed to come up with a character like peggy/pat! What I do like however is what they're doing with shirley! It's really clever, shirley will be a pat figure if she's still around I'm years to come!:P Cora's alright but babe has been in about 10 episodes so far... Which is another thing, there's way too many new characters! And they're either in it way too much, or hardly at all! I'd axe dean, lee, tosh, and Nancy, I don't get what everyone likes about nancy, she's actually frustrating and talks like a right ****! Johnny's the more interesting sibling but they need to give him a BIG storyline! Like a male rape or a troubled boyfriend...