Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really don't get this. A BRITISH tennis player is the third best player in the world behind Nadal and Federer and has a real chance of winning grand slam competitions but for some reason many English people wish to slag him off and support whoever else he is playing.

Ive seen so many negative comments about him from English people, 'Scottish Bastard' etc. Racist? Quite possibly? He's arrogant. Well you don't win grand slams being nice and polite, that didn't help the useless 'Tiger' Tim Henman did it?:rolleyes:

What is the reason for this xenophobia? He's Scottish, but to my knowledge Scotland is still part of the UK. He's still British and he repsents Great Britain and we as a nation should support him.

The English Murray haters need to get a grip. Its not his fault English tennis players are all shit:p

Comments

• stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people who play sports are f*cking annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he once say he wanted to represent just Scotland and not Britain...or am I making that up :confused:
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he's Scottish, and the English and the Scottish detest each other.

Let me ask you this: if Wimbledon was held in Edinburgh or Glasgow, and an English player, seeded no. 3, was playing in front of a mostly Scottish crowd, do you really believe he'd get the same support from the crowd as Murray is getting on Centre Court?
  • the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he once say that he supports whichever team is playing England in the football. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for us.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't get this. A BRITISH tennis player is the third best player in the world behind Nadal and Federer and has a real chance of winning grand slam competitions but for some reason many English people wish to slag him off and support whoever else he is playing.

Ive seen so many negative comments about him from English people, 'Scottish Bastard' etc. Racist? Quite possibly? He's arrogant. Well you don't win grand slams being nice and polite, that didn't help the useless 'Tiger' Tim Henman did it?:rolleyes:

What is the reason for this xenophobia? He's Scottish, but to my knowledge Scotland is still part of the UK. He's still British and he repsents Great Britain and we as a nation should support him.

The English Murray haters need to get a grip. Its not his fault English tennis players are all shit:p

As an ex-Glasgow girl from Braveheart's clan, what else can I do except agree with you? I don't mind the odd joke about him being dour, but some of the stuff you read about him is just ridiculous.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Calling someone a "Scottish bastard" isn't racist.
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    As an ex-Glasgow girl from Braveheart's clan, what else can I do except agree with you? I don't mind the odd joke about him being dour, but some of the stuff you read about him is just ridiculous.

I agree its absoloutley pathetic.

Im not Scottish or English, I am in fact from Wales so Im watching this from the outside and I think the way the English are behaving is very childish and bitter.

Since when have the English and Scottish hated each other? Jokey banter aside I must have missed the all the other troubles and anymosity:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when have the English and Scottish hated each other? Jokey banter aside I must have missed the all the other troubles and anymosity:rolleyes:

Since they lost the last battle fought on British soil :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since when have the English and Scottish hated each other?

Since forever.

And answer my question.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His nationality is irrelevant to me, but I'm not keen on him as he seems so charmless and grumpy. In interviews he rarely seems to smile or to make eye contact, and he just comes across as not particularly interesting or charismatic, in my opinion. He's a good tennis player, but I just don't enjoy watching him as much as Federer or Nadal or Djokovic, who seem to enjoy playing more, and to have a bit more personality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the spiz 2 wrote: »
    Didn't he once say that he supports whichever team is playing England in the football. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for us.

Wow because thats like a really grown up and mature attiude to have isn't it?:rolleyes:

You English always get behind the other home nations in Football and rugby don't you?:rolleyes:

Lets get this straight. He made those comments when he was like 17/18 little more than a kid, he retracted them afterwards. Not that he should have had to. The home nations play as individual teams in football, not as one British team like in other sports.. So its not even compariable imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not Scottish or English, I am in fact from Wales so Im watching this from the outside and I think the way the English are behaving is very childish and bitter.

I would say 90% of the Wimbledon crowd are English :rolleyes:
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    Since forever.

And answer my question.
    AS far as IM concerned living in Glasgow, I dont know one English person I hate and never have done..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    AS far as IM concerned living in Glasgow, I dont know one English person I hate and never have done..

Sorry, but that's the impression your country gives off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since forever.

And answer my question.

Oh im dreadfully sorry for missing your question:rolleyes:

Of course they'd support them. Its still part of the UK. Anyway its not the people who go to matches who are problem its the media and people on forums such as this one.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow because thats like a really grown up and mature attiude to have isn't it?:rolleyes:

You English always get behind the other home nations in Football and rugby don't you?:rolleyes:

Lets get this straight. He made those comments when he was like 17/18 little more than a kid, he retracted them afterwards. Not that he should have had to. The home nations play as individual teams in football, not as one British team like in other sports.. So its not even compariable imo.

HEY! Less of the generalisations. A lot of us couldn't give a f*ck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would have no problems cheering on the Scottish teams when they're in the latter stages of the FIFA World Cup or the Rugby World Cup.

Now, if they'd just give us the chance to :D
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but that's the impression your country gives off.
    glad Im not part of it then as most of my friends are English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since forever.
    Actually, I don't agree. The Scottish (by reputation) hate the English, but the English seem pretty ambivalent about the Scots.

I'm sure it's mostly baseless reputation and a handful of numpties who play up to it.
    Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

That 'many' do is news to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was born in Scotland but after living for many years in England then coming back here, I was known at work as the English girl. I have no scots accent and everyone assumes im English. Noone had a problem with me and I had no problem with them. I think it's silly if you say you don't like someone because of where they are from. I don't see why we all can't get on anyway.
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Like him, that is probably the kiss of death for the poor lad. I'm sat here watching him willing him to win.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most dont dislike him, but a vocal few repeat things about him that are untrue, and thats good enough for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    well, I haven't heard or read anything about the English hating Murray, he seems to have lots of English tennis fans.

BUT, he did say he'd support anyone but England in the last world cup, so for that reason, I don't like him, 'hate' is a wee bit harsh.

I don't like tennis either, not since Ilie Nastase stopped playing, he was very handsome. Murray is not.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sally956 wrote: »
    well, I haven't heard or read anything about the English hating Murray, he seems to have lots of English tennis fans.
    BUT, he did say he'd support anyone but England in the last world cup, so for that reason, I don't like him, 'hate' is a wee bit harsh.

I don't like tennis either, not since Ilie Nastase stopped playing, he was very handsome. Murray is not.

That was a joke, and the context of it has been explained many times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally it just for the fact that I can't set anything to record on BBc1 for a couple of weeks because the stupid bastards keep moving everything for a game.