Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

Comments

• ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's the impression your country gives off.

Have you ever been to Scotland then? Since you seem to have tarred the entire country as English haters?

I'd also love to know how you know 90% of the crowd at Wimbledon are English? Do you stand on the gates collecting tickets and sking the nationality of every customer?:rolleyes:and what exactly is the point of that comment? Should all non English players be banned in your view, meaning the touranment would be a pile of crap? Maybe you'd like to ban all the foreign tourists who visit each year?:rolleyes:
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a joke, and the context of it has been explained many times.

That appears to be irrelevent as the media have twisted that little gem soooooo tight it is now repeated constantly as fact............as so demonstrated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you ever been to Scotland then? Since you seem to have tarred the entire country as English haters?

I'd also love to know how you know 90% of the crowd at Wimbledon are English? Do you stand on the gates collecting tickets and sking the nationality of every customer?:rolleyes:and what exactly is the point of that comment? Should all non English players be banned in your view, meaning the touranment would be a pile of crap? Maybe you'd like to ban all the foreign tourists who visit each year?:rolleyes:

I've been in Scotland for 9 years now and in that time only met one English hater, not a bad record that really.
  • Over By Yer!Over By Yer! Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britgirl wrote: »
    I think it's silly if you say you don't like someone because of where they are from. I don't see why we all can't get on anyway.

I agree with you 100% Britgirl. Life is too short for bigotry.

As for Andy Murray? I am not a fan of Tennis but I hope he does win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    i havnt really noticed any dislike towards murray tbh...maybe im not reading the right stuff. if any thing if a scot is doing well hes more likely to be a good old brit isnt he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am currently watching the tennis, there are people who I assume are English almost in tears over wanting him to win....
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITT- people desperately trying to start a fight between English posters and Scots posters, for no apparent reason.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the spiz 2 wrote: »
    Didn't he once say that he supports whichever team is playing England in the football. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for us.

Yes he did, and I disliked him intensely (refuse to say hate)for a long time for it!
    Wow because thats like a really grown up and mature attiude to have isn't it?:rolleyes:

You English always get behind the other home nations in Football and rugby don't you?:rolleyes:

Lets get this straight. He made those comments when he was like 17/18 little more than a kid, he retracted them afterwards. Not that he should have had to. The home nations play as individual teams in football, not as one British team like in other sports.. So its not even compariable imo.

No it's not grown up but that's the way I felt at the time :p

If he wanted the crowd on his side at Wimbledon then he really needed to retract those remarks ! Whether he likes it or not when he's playing he's representing Scotland AND Britain. He may believe in devolution and an Independent Scotland (I have no idea if he does :confused: but it came across a bit that way to me) but he really needed to be a bit more diplomatic about it. He's learning to play the media game too now :)

And yes, when I'm watching Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and even Ireland playing I'm totally on their side, as long as they're not playing England :p:D I may be a bit unusual in this tho!!

I really want him to win this match though, it would be nice to see a Brit getting further in Wimbledon. :)
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me ask you this: if Wimbledon was held in Edinburgh or Glasgow, and an English player, seeded no. 3, was playing in front of a mostly Scottish crowd, do you really believe he'd get the same support from the crowd as Murray is getting on Centre Court?

Since no-one answered first time...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    i havnt really noticed any dislike towards murray tbh...maybe im not reading the right stuff. if any thing if a scot is doing well hes more likely to be a good old brit isnt he?

You live in Wales though. Trust me, I spend a lot of time in England and most of my friends are English and they can't stand him. They always reply that its because he's apparently anti English, but there's been no evidence to support that.

I wonder if anyone else watched the Wright Stuff on Five? Matthew Wright is very pro Murray and they have had many discussion about people 'disliking' Andy Murrary and its always the same 'because he doesn't like us'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say he was popular is scotland either. He is so far up his own arse.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since no-one answered first time...

Do you still say Murray is a dull player?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you still say Murray is a dull player?

I'm delighted that a five-set match will make him vulnerable to Ferrero when they meet :D
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,829
    Forum Member
    As he has just got into the quarter finals I doubt he cares who hates him.

Go Andy great competitor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm delighted that a five-set match will make him vulnerable to Ferrero when they meet :D

Just cant admit he some quality can you. Go drown your sorrows.
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Everton fans in Liverpool also support Liverpool FC as they are another local team?

Do Arsenal Fans in London also support Spurs as they are another local team?

So why expect Scotland fans to support England?
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    As he has just got into the quarter finals I doubt he cares who hates him.

Go Andy great competitor.

He is a great competitor, to find the depth to win that match after such a terrible start. I would have just crumbled.:o
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Paraguay shirt wearing, hope anyone but England wins, posh boy Murray's PR blitz is explained here

http://www.celebritysellout.co.uk/2009/06/andy-murray-gets-an-english-makeover/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    Do Everton fans in Liverpool also support Liverpool FC as they are another local team?

Do Arsenal Fans in London also support Spurs as they are another local team?

So why expect Scotland fans to support England?

Exactly!
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorisday74 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he was popular is scotland either. He is so far up his own arse.
    wrong DD so wrong
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he was Spanish? Don't you only support English players?:rolleyes:
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't. It's just that the ones who say they do are more likely to generate headlines and topics on chat shows than the vast majority who don't really care and just wish the BBC would get back to its regular schedules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't. It's just that the ones who say they do are more likely to generate headlines and topics on chat shows than the vast majority who don't really care and just wish the BBC would get back to its regular schedules.

This is its regular schedule during Wimbledon.
  • toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sally956 wrote: »

BUT, he did say he'd support anyone but England in the last world cup, so for that reason, I don't like him, 'hate' is a wee bit harsh.

Are people still going on about this :eek: it was only a joke.

Anyway I like him, he's got a bit of fire in his belly and that's good. Tonight's game shows he is not the sort to give up either so good luck to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was Spanish? Don't you only support English players?:rolleyes:

Anyone but Murray, love

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: