Why do so many English people hate Andy Murray?

Comments

• calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No matter the boys done good ,whether he wins or not.. IM proud of him.
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget Murray is a 1/4 English (from his Gran) probably where he gets the arrogant streak. :p
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucky74 wrote: »
    Oh i remember you. You're the charming individual who can't respond to anyone without a rolling eyes smiley and a "like yeah woteva" attitude. We don't compete as one nation in Tennis other than in the Davis Cup.

Excuse me? Ive never encountered you before on here so don't fabricate stories about me, and your wrong. Look at Murray's name on a tennis ranking and you'll see a union flag with a GBR written next to it.
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    Since forever.

I don't think that's true, actually. There was comparatively little animosity on either side as little as 50 years ago (the Tories won 50.1% of the vote and, I think, 18 out of 35 seats - certainly a majority of both - in Scotland at the 1955 election, and neither the SNP nor Plaid Cymru won Westminster seats until 1966/67). The withering of the Union is down mainly to the decline of faith in the concept of "Britain" which has itself been caused by Britain's imperial decline. The modern-day resurgence in ancient antipathy between the English and the Scots is ultimately down to Britain's loss of power and its resultant, long-drawn-out crisis.
    And answer my question.

For the record, I would tend to agree with you. There is definitely more anti-Englishness in Scotland than anti-Scottishness in England. But that is the way it tends to be between dominant nations and marginalised ones. You could equally say there is more anti-Americanism in the UK than anti-Britishness in the US.

Anyway, this was an amazing night of drama - sport at its very best. A little bit of Old England died tonight, and I shed no tears - all I felt was excitement and anticipation for what might come. Those who can't join in even now *deserve* UKIP and the BNP.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Wow.

Seriousley childish and petty. You could really do with growing up.

To be fair, he likes Big Brother, so not much chance of that. You need to make allowances for the mentally challenged :D
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    Maybe you can't.

Eh? No it doesn't. :confused:

I heard him say it.

The truth about that comment has been repeated many times which you would have heard about it if you were a true tennis fan ;)

It was a joke, do you think he is only allowed to make serious comments for the rest of his life or something :confused:
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard him say it.

He said it as a joke in an exchange with Henman.

He gets slagged off for being too serious, and when he makes a joke, it's held against him for life!!:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Both of your sentences are nonsense.

In your eyes maybe, but its my opinion and like it or lump it. I fully understand if your a Andy Murray fan, someone has to be. :D
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    The Murray joke people are complaining about was about Football.

I must have misinterpreted the post I was replying to. I thought the poster was saying it was right not to support a Scottish tennis player if you're English and then used as an example if you're an Evertonian from Liverpool you don't necessarily support Liverpool FC, just because they're also from Liverpool. Therefore it is acceptable to ignore the fact he is British as Evertonians ignore the fact that LFC is Liverpudlian like them. I may have just confused the matter futher, but my point was that support for football teams and tennis players are incomparable due to the tribal nature of football. I was not referring to the joke, as I do understand the context of it, so I am not bothered by it.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And his words were a joke, as has been explained many times, including in an article by the journalist involved, at the start of Wimbledon.

and what? are you saying he's getting death threats from the English, or is it perhaps we're not allowed a sense of humour when it's aimed at the scotch :D

<<damn spell checker>>
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we might as well have a piece by the journalist who was responsible for starting the "Murray is anti-English" myth:

For the last time: Andy Murray is no traitor

A few paragraphs from the article:
    ...For the past three years the finest tennis player in the land has been mercilessly kicked from pillar to post in what appears to be a crossborder contest to find the country's least informed idiot and, unsurprisingly, there has been no shortage of contenders.

This is why you will still find Murray cast as either an 'anti-English traitor' who somehow offends vast swathes of Middle England by merely being alive, or a quisling who 'betrays his Scottish roots' with each and every declaration of his Britishness.

Although Murray might have a fabulous chance of emerging triumphant at Wimbledon this summer, pleasing the public is a contest he cannot win.

Sadly, I was instrumental in inadvertently stirring up a lot of this English-hating nonsense. And even as he unveiled his new Fred Perry tennis garb this week, Murray was still dealing with the fall-out from an interview he gave to me in 2006. Every year since I have returned to the subject at least to try to clear up some of the delusions and lies that sprang from that encounter.

Yet there are still people out there - I call them 'the hard of thinking' - who believe Murray still watches England's football matches wearing the jersey of whatever opponents they happen to be playing while muttering Robert Burns poems and plotting a Scottish takeover of Parliament (oh, hang on).

But, in what is now an annual tradition on this page, I will again seek to counter the myths I accidentally helped to create in the hope that Britain's best Grand Slam prospect in 73 years might get through a fortnight in London SW19 without having to deal with one stupid misconception.
  • diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AppleTango wrote: »
    Because Scotland is another country and it has absolutely nothing to do with England.

Tell that to the treasury!
  • mpk81mpk81 Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh i remember you. You're the charming individual who can't respond to anyone without a rolling eyes smiley and a "like yeah woteva" attitude. We don't compete as one nation in Tennis other than in the Davis Cup.

Wrong, there is a GB Tennis team for the Olympics.
    http://www.olympics.org.uk/sportallteamgb.aspx?gt=s&sp=TE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    and what? are you saying he's getting death threats from the English, or is it perhaps we're not allowed a sense of humour when it's aimed at the scotch :D

I'm not sure I suggested any of that.:confused:

People are saying they dont like him because he once said he supported anyone but England at football. I said, that was a joke, the type we all make at times.

It's certainly not reason to hate him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I repeat - it's easy to say he was joking now. Just because he's winning, everyone's jumping on the "he was only joking" bandwagon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we might as well have a piece by the journalist who was responsible for starting the "Murray is anti-English" myth:

I posted that last week, and it seems easier for some to ignore it.
  • lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me? Ive never encountered you before on here so don't fabricate stories about me, and your wrong. Look at Murray's name on a tennis ranking and you'll see a union flag with a GBR written next to it.

Then I apologise, it must have been a different Shadowmaiden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I repeat - it's easy to say he was joking now. Just because he's winning, everyone's jumping on the "he was only joking" bandwagon.

Good grief. Read the article posted above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PompeyBill wrote: »
    To be fair, he likes Big Brother, so not much chance of that. You need to make allowances for the mentally challenged :D

Um, the Op does post a lot about Big Brother too you know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this thread shows up is the lack of education amongst some people in this nation

As for Scots hating the English due to the battle of Culloden, more Scots fought AGAINST Charlie, not for him

Go get yourself an education, jeez
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mpk81 wrote: »
    Wrong, there is a GB Tennis team for the Olympics.
    http://www.olympics.org.uk/sportallteamgb.aspx?gt=s&sp=TE

Ah, yes I totally forgot the Olympics. Then there is a GB team for Olympic Tennis and the Davis Cup. The rest of the time it's every man and woman for themselves though.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its amazing how some people think they know better than every single person who was there when the comment was made :eek:. FYI the journalist who conducted the interview has been saying this since 2007 and he wasn't winning much back then ;)
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you didn't bother to listen to what Tim Henman said about the matter, or to read the article by Des Kelly that I linked to earlier?

Ah well, feel free to stay ill-informed.
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Um, the Op does post a lot about Big Brother too you know.

My point will still stand ;)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,829
    Forum Member

You realise you are undermining some peoples reason for living by childishly appealing to reason and first hand evidence, Really. Have some sense of proportion. :D