Why are most women over 40 obsessed with plants, flowers and gardening?

2»

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have to be over 40 to have an allotment or grow your own veg and fruit in your garden? I was going to start doing it. Or does that just make me too middle class?
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm over 40, I love flowers, can take or leave plants but I hate gardening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    Do you have to be over 40 to have an allotment or grow your own veg and fruit in your garden? I was going to start doing it. Or does that just make me too middle class?

Middle class lol no my Nan had a allotment she was not middle class, or was you kidding :o

I have always loved gardening, flowers and plants since I was a child.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    old people love digging in the ground because they know that's soon where they'll be too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a year off 40 and couldn't be less interested in plants and flowers if i tried. I am trying so hard to get an interest in having a veggie patch at the top of our garden to save money and have fresh veg, but it is like pulling teeth to be honest, i just can't get interested.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it because there is no danger that a plant will be a crushing disapointment to them or let them down in the way that a child could?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother's always bringing in flowers to try and jazz up the flat with. The outside yard looks like the flower show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like to keep my garden tidy. i dont go overboard. but it is nice when something you plonked in the ground grows!
  • PeterRockPeterRock Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    maybe its cause the kids have left home and they need something to care for?

or they just like bush triming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    i like to keep my garden tidy. i dont go overboard. but it is nice when something you plonked in the ground grows!

A lady's garden should be tidy at all times.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im way under 40 but adore gardening and plants. it started about 2 years ago and now its one of my main interests :o
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have you been OP? :confused:There are some allotments close to my home and there is a very wide age range of people who use them. All ages can enjoy gardening. Lovely to see very young couples alongside older people.

I don't have an allotment but we did when we were in our 20's and really enjoyed it. I enjoy my garden but I'm not obsessive about it.

Gardening is great exercise and it's good to be out in the fresh air. It's also a lot better than some alternatives like binge drinking, sitting on a sofa watching TV and stuffing your face or smoking. ;)
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will I suddenly become obsessed with gardening when I reach my early 40's?:eek:

Kill off any more of your Mums plants and you'll be lcuky to reach 40!:D
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lady's garden should be tidy at all times.

:D:D:D:D
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like my garden - happy to potter about cutting the grass and cutting stuff back occasionally but don't like getting muddy hands, not remotely bothered about flowers, and have no plants inside the house (because I end up killing them all). :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Im not..i can't stand gardening..:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    im way under 40 but adore gardening and plants. it started about 2 years ago and now its one of my main interests :o

Me too! My mum is a keen gardener, it was always going to get me in the end...
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd imagine it's got something to do with the idea that once your kids have finally left home you've got a bit of time to mooch about and suit yourself. You live in a reasonable house which has got a garden and so spending a bit of time pottering about in there is infinitely preferable to watching inane nonsense like Jeremy Kyle and Trisha and Loose Women and Countdown.

If you know any women of that sort of age who've not got kids - like me - you'll find that they buy houses with no gardens, because they're about as interested in gardening and flowers as any other person who'd not had to spend years fannying about raising kids and that sort of thing.
    Or to put it plainer - no interest whatsoever.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    I hate gardening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member

I don't believe there are any laws saying you can't:D, and I've never seen it as particularly middle class.