Under eye bags/dark circles

ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to get rid of them? Im only in my mid 20's and I suffer terribly:( every morning I get up with puffy eyes regardless of how much sleep ive had. If ive not slept very well then I get under eye suitcases not bags.

The puffyness does go down as the day goes along, but I swear it causing wrinkles. Today Ive still got noticable bags and its 4pm, but I did sleep pretty badly last night. I look about 50 today. People say I look younger, but im sure they are aging me.

Ive tried creams and all sort and nothing is working, conceler is not covering them very well and im at my wits end.

I don't smoke, use sunbeds and I only drink very moderatly.

What can I do?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suffer from these also and am only 25, had them as far as i can remember, huge dark bags, no matter if i sleep 2 hours or 2 days, so would also be grateful of any tips!

Sometimes i think i look about 10 years older!
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haynat1 wrote: »
    I suffer from these also and am only 25, had them as far as i can remember, huge dark bags, no matter if i sleep 2 hours or 2 days, so would also be grateful of any tips!

Sometimes i think i look about 10 years older!

Its actually getting so bad im considering having plastic surgery or something:(
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry, I cant help either but I wanted to sympathise cos I've had terrible dark circles since I was a kid (I'm 25 now). Same thig it doesn't matter if I sleep loads they are still there, they jsut get even worse if I'm tired. They don't tend to puff up though so I suppose that one good thing! I was told that drinking lots of water helps but I cant say I've notice a difference. I think sometimes its just genetics and you have to learn to live with it :(
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes they can be genetic - do your parents have them? My dad's got them, and although mines aren't as bad as my dads, I'm really hoping and praying they don't get as bad as his when I'm older :cry:

Someone once told me that pile cream is really good for eye bags as it supposedly 'shrinks' them in the same way as... well, what it is intended for really :D To be honest though, I don't know how much truth there is in that.

Raw slices of potato spritzed with water are supposed to be good too, but I can't vouch for any of these as I've not tried them.

You can always try different creams to see if any of them might work for you. :)

Unfortunately, there isn't really any way to get rid of them without resorting to surgery I'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same age and also get terrible bags :( The best concealer I have found is the No7 stuff. Also, I have some of the Avon cream thats always being advertised, not sure what it is called. Theres a gel for upper eye lids, and a cream for underneath. I swear, this is the best eye cream I have ever used. My eyes look "perkier" and my bags are much better. Not sure if that is one of the creams you have tried already though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that ive always had them but they are definitly getting worse as I get older, and they take longer to go down. The other morning it looked like I had deep ridges under my eyes they were so bad.

I could have 12 hours sleep(I have on occasions) and I still had them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,115
    Forum Member
    Garnier caffeine eye roll-on is really good IMO. :)
  • JigglyBallJigglyBall Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you use any facial creams at night? I remember every morning I was waking up with puffy eyes and it turned out to be because of the cream I was using around the eye area.

I've read that sometimes sleeping with your head slightly elevated can help to drain excess fluid, waking up and washing your face with cold water, or the 'teabag' method can help.

If you are having plenty of sleep it could be some kind of allergy to something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Benefit Erase Paste is wonderful for concealing. If you haven't already done so, maybe try some high end make-up (Mac, NARS etc) I know it can be pricey but I have found that for certain things you get what you pay for.

Other than that I would advise drinking as much water as possible. I notice a huge difference in a matter of days :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JigglyBall wrote: »
    Do you use any facial creams at night? I remember every morning I was waking up with puffy eyes and it turned out to be because of the cream I was using around the eye area.

I've read that sometimes sleeping with your head slightly elevated can help to drain excess fluid, waking up and washing your face with cold water, or the 'teabag' method can help.

If you are having plenty of sleep it could be some kind of allergy to something?

I only really use moisturiser at night when I got to bed. No fancy creams. In the morning I put on Clinque All About Eyes which is supposed to reduce circles and puffs, and although it does reduce the puffiness it doesn't really get rid of the bags.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    slap a cold teabag on each eye
  • NeitNeit Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 cucumbers under each eye for half an hour every other day should do the trick
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, I'm only 21 and have the same problems! I just put concealer under my eyes, just a really small bit, but reduces the appearence by around half and you can't see the concealer!
  • MissbegottenMissbegotten Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The usual cause of dark circles is dehydration. so try drinking a glass of water every hour during the day and see if that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it could be your diet , are you malnourished ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from dehydration and diet as have been mentioned, and of course the issues of quality/lack of sleep, health and any hereditary weakness, don't forget the effect of stress. It does show on your face, if you are under fairly persistent emotional stress. Obviously I don't know if you are, but it sounds you are indeed stressed about this in its own right.

Also exercise and fresh air can help your complexion, which themselves can help combat stress.

I don't know if using a sunbed would be helping you.
    Don't they dry out your skin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    Do you get Korres products widely in the UK? If so get this one (this is the only link I could find so might not be UK useful but the product is amazing!!) http://reviews.sephora.com/8723/P116807/reviews.htm?pageNumber=2

Plus - eating lots of Vit C heavy fruits and veg is also great for skin elasticity - have a grapefruit juice based smoothie each morning if you can and you'll quickly see a difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    my_login wrote: »

I don't know if using a sunbed would be helping you.
    Don't they dry out your skin?

Sunbeds are the worst thing imaginable in terms of longterm skin quality!! They age you and distort the texture of your skin on a permanent basis - not to mention the heightened risk of cancer. They are to avoid at all costs!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    Apparently cranberry juice is brilliant for getting rid of dark circles :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark circles under eyes could be lack of sleep or hereditory. Mines the latter. I use various eye creams, gels and concealer from Benefit. Works well but nothing I've found totally eradicates them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not really sure if mine are hereditory as no one else in my immediate family seem to have them:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I have the same, but get mine from my mothers side, my nan always looked like she had been beaten up, I've just learned to live with mine and i'm 29! Haven't found anything that works, apart from a tan and concealer (no7)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drinking water, trying to follow a regular sleep pattern both really help, in the morning (particularly after a bad night's sleep) i use garnier caffeine roll on then yves st laurent's touche eclat under my No. 7 tinted moisturiser, does the trick for me and i'm a 41 year old who looks like a 41 year old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beanbag wrote: »
    I have the same, but get mine from my mothers side, my nan always looked like she had been beaten up, I've just learned to live with mine and i'm 29! Haven't found anything that works, apart from a tan and concealer (no7)!

I find a tan makes them worse!!!