Have you ever discovered some shocking family secrets?

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Yep but I'm not going to mention them on the internet! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Nothing too out of the ordinary i don't think. Affairs - my grandfather left his first wife for my grandmother. I think there may have been 'overlapping' when it comes to my mama and papa too, though i'm not entirely sure. My great aunt and her son spent time in the camps (he died).
  • Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Found out recently that my late father had an affair shortly before I was born that resulted in me and my siblings having a half sister.

Only found out after he died though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found out 16 years ago that I fathered Prince Harry. For gods sake don't tell anyone though, the family could not stand the shame!
  • ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thread, OP.

Im just kind of relieved its not just me who has all these skeleton in the closet.

I also found out once that my mum's friend had an affair with my Uncle (my dad 's brother) when his wife was pregnant. This was before my mum and her friend had even met, and it only came out when we invited her to a 'do' and she saw my Uncle there!
  • shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2006 I was in Alberta staying at my 3rd cousins house. Now we`d only made contact the year via message boards and I also met my cousins `mom`...my mums cousin-in-law.

My grandfather died when my mum was 2 years old, she doesn`t remember him, and my Grandma remarried twice and moved to the U.K when my mum was still a child.

When my mum was about 15 she wrote to her family in Canada via the embassy and received a reply from my mums auntie saying not to write again after `all that has happened`

Now the Auntie was the mother -in -law of my mums cousin -in-law where I was.

We were chatting, mostly small talk, when the subject of my Grandfather came up. My mums cousin-in-law was saying how my grandfather was her mother-in-laws favourite sibling and she HATED my grandma for what had happened.

I asked what had happened and.......

my mum was/had 2 older brothers she knows nothing about.
    my grandma refused help from the family after my grandfather died and abandoned the two boys at some sort of childrens home....they wouldn`t take the girls (my mum and her sister) for whatever reason.
    The family over there had no contact with the 2 boys and no one knows what happened. Every path I have leads to a dead end.
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philandering, stealing, lying, cheating. You name it.
    Multiple_Personality?

heheh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night my mum had a bit too much to drink while watching Strictly Come Dancing and ended up spilling the beans about a member of my family (now dead), which has left me so stunned I am still in shock now!:eek:

This person is always portrayed as a bit of a saint in the family, couldn't do anything wrong, would do anything for anyone type. So these revelations have rocked me to the core! Without going into details, none of the above was true and this person was actually a piece of work.

Its shattered many of my childhood memories as I was very young when this person died, and I have lots of memories of them showering me and the other children in the family with gifts and presents.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

for some strange reason after seeing your thread in advice i dont believe you :rolleyes: :D:D:D
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I secretly am the great grandson of Adolf Hitler. Other than that nothing really.
  • missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I got a phone call about three years ago from a woman who wanted to break some news to me (she was some kind of go-between for adopted children).

It turned out that my mother had an affair with a Yugoslav prisoner-of-war, and Dave was the result - I wasn't overly shocked as when me and my siblings were orphaned (I was 12), the 'family' did nothing. Me and my twin were later adopted - but my other sister and brother had a terrible time, so I knew something had caused a family upset.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night my mum had a bit too much to drink while watching Strictly Come Dancing and ended up spilling the beans about a member of my family (now dead), which has left me so stunned I am still in shock now!:eek:

This person is always portrayed as a bit of a saint in the family, couldn't do anything wrong, would do anything for anyone type. So these revelations have rocked me to the core! Without going into details, none of the above was true and this person was actually a piece of work.

Its shattered many of my childhood memories as I was very young when this person died, and I have lots of memories of them showering me and the other children in the family with gifts and presents.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I like to think I'm a little too adult to discuss personal family stuff with strangers. So far you have potrayed your family to be quite strange, even dysfunctional. Just my opinion.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to think I'm a little too adult to discuss personal family stuff with strangers. So far you have potrayed your family to be quite strange, even dysfunctional. Just my opinion.

Depends which family you mean...

As Shadowmaiden her family are portrayed as a little odd but when she logs in as Greenlady they become absolutely bizarre.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philandering, stealing, lying, cheating. You name it.

and that's a shocker?????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My fatherr's family doesn't know about me. It's a shame because I've got a few half brothers that I'd like to meet. He pays me thousands to keep quiet, if this ever came out I'd be splashed all over the news/internet/newspapers ;).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum gave a baby away at 17 due to Catholic shame aspect, my sister found us when I was 18 and we are still in regular contact though neither of us are with our mum now.
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to his ww1 military record, hubbies Grandfather was treated for syphilis at one point. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbly♥ wrote: »
    My fatherr's family doesn't know about me. It's a shame because I've got a few half brothers that I'd like to meet. He pays me thousands to keep quiet, if this ever came out I'd be splashed all over the news/internet/newspapers ;).

I meant 'It'd'. I'm not that big-headded!:D
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbly♥ wrote: »
    I meant 'It'd'. I'm not that big-headded!:D

Is your father a famous footballer with a pouty-faced wife?
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know plenty of secrets but none of them shocking, just the uusal affairs, mental health issues, gaydom etc.

I was shocked to find out that a cousin of mine actually isn't realted to me by blood in any way. Turns out she was taken in by her "Mum" as both her parents wre wasters who abandoned her. I had no idea until she was in her 20s.

Also, not a sercte but shocking is that a relative of mine that I was extremely fond of growing up has turned out to be a really despicable human being. I feel persoally quite hurt by it.
  • upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uncle did a family tree with his son as a school project and found out something quite amusing.

A few generations back, one of my cousins ended up marrying a Russian Circus dwarf, and left home to travel with the circus, the Dwarf and his 5 dwarf brothers.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    sofieellis wrote: »
    I've mentioned this on this forum before, but my second cousin was the accomplice of a serial killer, before becoming his victim.

She was a wife and mum to about 9 children, winning a bravery award for saving some children from drowning, before she ran off to become a prostitute. She helped her friend to dispose of his victims' bodies, whilst stealing all their assetts.

He eventually killed her for being careless with valuables that could have identified them as the killers. :o

:eek: Wow! :)
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Midiboy wrote: »
    My mum revealed a few years ago that my dad, who died in 1978, had a heart attack while they were having sex. I was fairly shocked but it explains why she never wanted to see anyone else!

This is so sad Bless her....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a common occurence back then I'm afraid to say - most famously Eric Clapton.

Jack Nicholson and Boby Darin are another two.
  • teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    Midiboy wrote: »
    My mum revealed a few years ago that my dad, who died in 1978, had a heart attack while they were having sex. I was fairly shocked but it explains why she never wanted to see anyone else!

Sorry but that made me laugh out loud :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I discovered that my great-grandfather murdered my great-grandmother and then tried to commit suicide. He was tried at the Old Bailey where they decided he wasn't of sound mind at the time of the crime and sent him to Broadmoor.