Options

Confused about life after college.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm in my first year at college and I'm really starting to worry about what I'm going to do when I leave.
I'd like to go to university to study some kind of human biology but I just don't know what I want to do. I wanted to be a doctor but people have told me it's a lot of very hard work and that I probably won't cope. I was top of my classes for everything at school but now I'm just mediocre and I've realised that there are so many people that are far more intelligent than I am.
I know that I want to do something to do with human biology (not necessarily human biology itself) but I don't know of many other courses that I could look into, and I'm not really sure where the courses I am aware of could lead me to career-wise. I've looked at the careers library in my college but the majority of it is just about medicine and becoming a physician.
I can't decide whether I'd like to apply to a course in medicine or not. I just keep thinking that if I apply and don't get in to any of the universities then I won't have anywhere to go, but if I don't apply then I could regret it for the rest of my life. I have friends and relatives that are nurses that say they regret not trying to be a doctor (although I think that may have been for money reasons..)
Is anyone here a doctor/at university studying medicine, or does anyone have a job in the field I'm interested in? I'm quite interested in the blood but I don't know what options are available to me or even if there are any.
Any help is appreciated. Sorry if my post is confusing!

Comments

• Options
    Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    There are numerous courses in Physiology which may be more suitable. A few universities offer 1st year students who excel at the course a chance to swap to Medicine.

Physiology usually falls under the banner of Biological Sciences, which has several other variations (e.g. genetics, microbiology etc). Plenty of uni's do them, but a good idea is to look at ones which also run medicine courses - more facilities and better options there.

Careers-wise, the question is what can't you do? A good science degree opens many doors, you don't have to stick to just its vocational applications.

The Unistats website is a good place to look to see what career sectors people went on to after completing a degree. And the individual universities may paint a more detailed picture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Maybe have a look at other courses relating to healthcare but not medicine? Nursing, audiology, speech and language therapy, cardiology, radiology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, optometry amongst many, many more.

If you're not sure about medicine, maybe have a look at other roles in the same sort of direction? But if you decide you want to go for medicine you go for it! And the best of luck to you :)

I'm studying audiology (hearing and balance stuff) and I think it's fab. If you're particularly interested in the blood, look at jobs in that area? Check out the NHS website and check out UCAS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both for your advice!

I didn't know that some unis gave you the option to swap, so I'll look into that!

I've been looking at courses but I have't found any that are specifically about blood so I'll probably have to take a course that features it.

I didn't realise you could study things such as cardiology and audiology without studying medicine. I probably sound like an idiot haha :o I don't understand things for the future until I'm literally doing them though :p:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What qualifications are you doing?

Its very very unlikely you will be able to swap from a course to medicine.
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want to work with the public, or in a more lab/office/ research based type of job?

there is nothing stopping you following your dreams, just do 50% of your applications to med schools, and the others for other courses

I also wanted to study medicine, but was always told i was too dumb, and didn't exactly set the world alight with my a-levels! At the same time, I also applied to study medical biochemisty, which i was accepted at 4 unis. As it was, I landed up going through clearing, and got a place studying Pharmacology. On my first day, I realised that that was I should have always been applying for! It took the mix of my love of human biology, with science and how medicines worked/were developed etc etc.
    I then followed this up with a MSc, and finally a PhD in a medical based research field, where I worked with drs from several hospitals. I then spent some time continuing research, and I now work in oncology research.

Looking back, I wish school had spent more time on career advice, it was totally useless!
    I would suggest looking at the prospectus of several universities - both big "red brick" unis, and some smaller newer unis, and have a look at the courses they run in their medical schools/ health sciences. They often tell you what careers and jobs people end up in, then go to university open days, have a look around, and ask lots of questions!

if blood is your thing - if you study medicine, you could go in to haematology diseases or cancers, or you could go into the research side of them - either as a dr or research scientist.
    Most science degrees will cover a vast number of topics/ modules, so you'll get a better feel for what you want you want to do - and it isn't always what you think!!
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can always do postgraduate medicine if you decide it's for you later. You'd need to do a biologically related undergrad I think, but it's definitely possible.