Sky text bites the dust from october 30th

JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
Forum Member
Going to be killed off altogether from that date. I remember when it first came on all those years ago

Comments

• Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a real shame, it's a pretty good service, wonder what Sky's reason is for it's closure?
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor decision if true. I spent an hour waiting for something to come on the Sky Sports News ticker and every time you got near to it there was an ad break and after the break it has 'passed by' as they fail to pause the ticker when a break is occurring - so you have to wait until its turn comes round again - when - you guessed it - it is just about to come up and there is yet another ad break.

I gave up, tried the text info and found it in seconds.

Backwards step by Sky if that option is being eliminated.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Poor decision if true. I spent an hour waiting for something to come on the Sky Sports News ticker and every time you got near to it there was an ad break and after the break it has 'passed by' as they fail to pause the ticker when a break is occurring - so you have to wait until its turn comes round again - when - you guessed it - it is just about to come up and there is yet another ad break.

I gave up, tried the text info and found it in seconds.

Backwards step by Sky if that option is being eliminated.

Definety happening. Doesn't say why but basically says all news/video stories can be checked via web sites (red button interactive on sports channels not going)
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky should do connected red button thats just a connection to their website. It could grab the website news info and just display it in a different format that would work on a TV.
    It would mean that Sky would only have to update their website and it would also mean that you would have to have internet connectivity for it to work.
    It would be another thing to get people to connect their Sky box to their internet.
  • happymonkeyhappymonkey Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame! :cry:

I use Sky Text everyday normally with Sky Sports News in the top corner.

End of an era as I don't watch anything on BBC live anymore so won't be using that!

I still remember the nights I spent reading the Paramount Channel Teletext Mailbox ;)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Does that leave the BBC as the last broadcaster still to have what I would call a "proper" teletext service?
    A shame, although I have never taken to digital text in the way I did to Ceefax and Oracle, crude though they were by today's standards!
    :)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Does that leave the BBC as the last broadcaster still to have what I would call a "proper" teletext service?

Yes, I think the BBC will be the last remaining digital text service.

Surprisingly, there are still a handful of analogue text services left on Sky. TCM, Eurosport, TV5 (French) and one or two others still had analogue text when I last checked, earlier in the year.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    So do RTE etc - viewable even in the uk
  • djdean0djdean0 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Sky Text was a great service to use.
    It will be missed but as the broadband market continues to grow then the need for a text service would become more obsolete.
    But the connected red button idea yeah I would love to see Sky make use of such a service
  • ken190ken190 Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are taking off sky texts from the 30th for october
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is a very silly idea to close such a good service as it is very informative
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daniel99 wrote: »
    it is a very silly idea to close such a good service as it is very informative

Well with almost universal broadband takeup people will have to go online to see the equivalent of the service on Sky's website now.

TV, internet and phone services of some kind (mobile or landline) have become basic essential services that, if you dont have, you really will be left behind!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!!
    Madness. I use this everyday and im sure alot of others do also.
    Poor decision!
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While there's a few devotees I imagine hardly anyone uses it in the smart phone age. Why use a slow, clunky service when you've got the whole of the interweb in your hand.

I used to know every page number on Ceefax and Oracle in ye olde days but can't remember the last time I looked at either the Beeb or Sky's digital version
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame! :cry:

I still remember the nights I spent reading the Paramount Channel Teletext Mailbox ;)

Yes me too very entertaining, often had my comments on there.

This also means the end of 459 which is also fun seeing the banter between fans about who's club has the most history etc,
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Skytext faster at updating certain stories than the BBC, in particular they often have the lottery result up earlier. I was out one Saturday, came home, put BBC text on around 11.00pm but it was still showing the Wednesday draw as the top line. Switched to Skytext and got Saturday's numbers straightaway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I find Skytext faster at updating certain stories than the BBC, in particular they often have the lottery result up earlier. I was out one Saturday, came home, put BBC text on around 11.00pm but it was still showing the Wednesday draw as the top line. Switched to Skytext and got Saturday's numbers straightaway.

I guess its time to get that info online instead!
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mailbox on PText was always a good read, almost like a forum before the internet became popular.

It's still online and usually gets updated on Christmas day. Once a year isn't as good as every day, but at least it's still active in some form :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aI_xyvntZ04
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, though since they removed it from non-premium channels I use BBC text exclusively.

Why do I still use text. Well I'm not sure really.

Partly by habit, partly because I find it quicker to wizz through text only layout than wade through the BBC site. I like looking at sports headlines on 301, and seeing news about sports I just wouldn't bother looking at on the web.

No doubt it (the same headlines) are there under 'sport', but on the web I'm straight into football.

Yeah, it makes no sense. i know.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I guess its time to get that info online instead!
    What about those without the internet?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well with almost universal broadband takeup people will have to go online to see the equivalent of the service on Sky's website now.

Well Sky is the UK second largest ISP....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    What about those without the internet?

There is very cheap offers around now for basic ADSL, so there is no excuse really, unless you dont have a landline and then a 3G/4G dongle as ether PAYG or pay monthly is the only option.
    Well Sky is the UK second largest ISP....

Well Sky could just bundle it with their TV service and just give a discount if people are already with another ISP.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    There is very cheap offers around now for basic ADSL, so there is no excuse really, unless you dont have a landline and then a 3G/4G dongle as ether PAYG or pay monthly is the only option.
    Hard to believe I know for people whose lives revolve around them, but there are still people who don't even have computers, or any other device that's capable of using broadband!
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Hard to believe I know for people whose lives revolve around them, but there are still people who don't even have computers, or any other device that's capable of using broadband!
    It's surprising that they were interested enough to master the use of teletext then . . . :p
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mailbox on PText was always a good read, almost like a forum before the internet became popular.
    Hear here! I wonder who that Bangers fellow was? :D