Options

BBC2 and C4 showing some good older films in afternoons

Comments

• Options
    manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a collection on both VHS which I recorded off the TV. The BBC screened a lot in the eighties. More I've purchased on DVD.
    Some were hard to get hold of. Quite often I'd miss one on the TV and they wouldn't be repeated. This is usually because the licence to screen them ran out for whichever network held it.

Sullivan's Travels is a prime example. I had to get it from the USA. But a few years later it came back on TV on another channel.
    These days, you'll find no end of them on eBay, just type "film noir" into their search and you'll find pages and pages of them, some starting at 99p.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E4 had ice-age what more do you need :)

But in regards to old movies 'movie mix' is very good as is 'true entertainment' both on freeview
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my fave film noir actresses is Ida Lupino, who we never see enough of these days. She was a pioneer in film-making, directing & co-producing many of her own films. If you see anything featuring her pop up on the schedules, give it a go - well worth it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my fave film noir actresses is Ida Lupino, who we never see enough of these days. She was a pioneer in film-making, directing & co-producing many of her own films. If you see anything featuring her pop up on the schedules, give it a go - well worth it. :)

Ida Lupino was very talented, I remember her in High Sierra with Humphrey Bogart.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 and Film4 (sometimes More4) always show good older films.

Sky has A Place in the Sun, Giant and East of Eden showing!
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you're talking!

I've got;

This Gun For Hire.
    Sullivan's Travels,
    I Married A Witch
    The Glass Key.
    I Wanted Wings.

Sadly she died in obscurity, one of her last jobs was working as a waitress.

I have This Gun For Hire and The Glass Key, and I'm getting others.

Her story is such a tragic one. It seems like she had an appalling mother who wanted nothing other than to cash in on her daughter's fame (she was responsible for a really horrible biography on Veronica).

Veronica herself was saddened that her films were seldom shown on TV even in America and worried peope would forget her.

The fact that she died alone in a hotel room of hepatitis c and that only one of her children came to her funeral is heartbreaking. I also heard her ashes ended up in a shop in New York because nobody claimed them but I don't know how true that is.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digressing a bit, I have watched "Mr Hulot's Holiday" on YouTube. Worth seeing if you haven't seen it or can remember it.

I got it on DVD, was slightly disappointed, must be a Gallic thing, it didn't stand scrutiny with Keaton, Chaplin or Stan and Ollie.
    A visual gag must have 3 phases [ or two at least ]

1. The Set Up - Audience sees the soap on the floor and Ollie coming through the door.

2. The Gag - Ollie slips on the soap and goes A over T.

3. The Reaction - Ollie looks into camera .

With Tati you get 2 and 3, and sometimes just 2, the gag comes from nowhere and , poof, it's gone.

The editing is clunky too.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    manderley wrote: »
    With your user name I thought you would have mentioned Barbara Stanwyck. ;)

I also like Claire Trevor who was nominated three times for the best supporting actress Oscar and won for Key Largo.

Hope the BBC and Channel 4 continue to show these great movies.

I guess that any film buffs will know that my Forum name was Fred MacMurray's character in Double Indemnity. I could have called myself Phyllis Dietrichson, but it might have cause confusion.;)

I have been very fortunate with my Stanwyck collection and have every one of her films from 1929 to 1964.

Incidentally, she is on Channel 4 tomorrow afternoon at 1.20, in one of her better Westerns, "The Violent Men" with Glenn Ford and Edward G Robinson.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wonderful actress! and terribly underrated. I have the special edition DVD of my favourite film of Ida, Road House, with Richard Widmark, Cornel Wilde, and Celeste Holm. If you have never seen it I thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "When B Sky B," first came out in the eighties, which had only five programmes, one was a film channel (really,"Ted Turner TV") and I was able to record a lot of great film noir on that.
    Some versions of the same film were "colourised," I didn't go a bundle on those.

When I first got Sky in 1993, the Turner channel was called TNT and it was fantastic. They showed all of the rare Warners and MGM film from the early 30's and 40's. plus the original trailers.

I still have the video tape of the tribute that they devoted to Barbara Stanwyck which they called "Major Barbara" It started at 7pm and went on until 5am, and included, East Side, West Side(1949), His Brothers Wife (1936), The Woman in Red (1934), The Purchase Price(1933), and Cry Wolf(1947). When they changed the name to TCM it completely changed, and they don't do tributes to the great stars anymore. We occasionally get a rare treasure like yesterday when they showed Tin Pan Alley with Alice Faye and Betty Grable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first got Sky in 1993, the Turner channel was called TNT and it was fantastic. They showed all of the rare Warners and MGM film from the early 30's and 40's. plus the original trailers.

I still have the video tape of the tribute that they devoted to Barbara Stanwyck which they called "Major Barbara" It started at 7pm and went on until 5am, and included, East Side, West Side(1949), His Brothers Wife (1936), The Woman in Red (1934), The Purchase Price(1933), and Cry Wolf(1947). When they changed the name to TCM it completely changed, and they don't do tributes to the great stars anymore. We occasionally get a rare treasure like yesterday when they showed Tin Pan Alley with Alice Faye and Betty Grable.

We should start a campaign to get the same TCM as the USA who continue to show these great movies and tributes to the great stars. When I was in Canada earlier this year they screened a really interesting programme about Ida Lupino.

I don't know the reason why the TCM UK has a different, inferior programming schedule.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We should start a campaign to get the same TCM as the USA who continue to show these great movies and tributes to the great stars. When I was in Canada earlier this year they screened a really interesting programme about Ida Lupino.

I don't know the reason why the TCM UK has a different, inferior programming schedule.:confused:

They also have the marvellous Robert Osborne who talks about the film before and after screening.

In December they had a Stanwyck season and showed 55 of her films that month. If I didn't have them all I would probably gave cut my throat. ;)

Luckily for me, one of the members of my Yahoo group sent me several copies of the films including some of the early 30's pre-code films and they had all been digitally remastered.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Id have loved to have seen that Barbara Stanwyck Tribute. My favourite film of hers is Stella Dallas. I think my favourite film noir is Mildred Pierce... excellent performances from Joan Crawford, Zachary Scott, Ann Blyth and, another favourite of mine, the wise cracking Eve Arden
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also have the marvellous Robert Osborne who talks about the film before and after screening.

In December they had a Stanwyck season and showed 55 of her films that month. If I didn't have them all I would probably gave cut my throat. ;)

Luckily for me, one of the members of my Yahoo group sent me several copies of the films including some of the early 30's pre-code films and they had all been digitally remastered.

Robert Osborne is a great asset to TCM USA, he speaks with great knowledge and affection for the movies and the actors. I have learned a lot from listening to his critiques.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    Id have loved to have seen that Barbara Stanwyck Tribute. My favourite film of hers is Stella Dallas. I think my favourite film noir is Mildred Pierce... excellent performances from Joan Crawford, Zachary Scott, Ann Blyth and, another favourite of mine, the wise cracking Eve Arden

Interesting to note that Barbara was the first choice for Mildred Pierce after her big hit in another James M Cain story, Double Indemnity. I must admit that I wish that she had got it, although I am a big Crawford fan and thought that she did a great job.

Eve Arden always made any film better, she was a joy to watch, and could be touching at times, especially in The Dark at the Top of the Stairs, my favourite of all her performances.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had it in when it first came out with the "squarial." I seem to remember as we pre-ordered it before it started, we got it very cheap.

When it was absorbed by Sky, the equipment and aerial were replaced. I remember we had to pay for that, but we got a year's free subscription to all channels, which worked out about the same price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess that any film buffs will know that my Forum name was Fred MacMurray's character in Double Indemnity. I could have called myself Phyllis Dietrichson, but it might have cause confusion.;)

I have been very fortunate with my Stanwyck collection and have every one of her films from 1929 to 1964.

Incidentally, she is on Channel 4 tomorrow afternoon at 1.20, in one of her better Westerns, "The Violent Men" with Glenn Ford and Edward G Robinson.

Same way film noir enthusiasts will know from where mine came.
    For those who don't know and don't want to know, "look away now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phkCtrYfnGo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same way film noir enthusiasts will know from where mine came.
    For those who don't know and don't want to know, "look away now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phkCtrYfnGo

As a film noir enthusiast I'm ashamed to admit I had to click on you link to find out. The name was familiar but I could recall where I had heard it. I have seen that movie on countless occasions. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a film noir enthusiast I'm ashamed to admit I had to click on you link to find out. The name was familiar but I could recall where I had heard it. I have seen that movie on countless occasions. :o

There's another line from it that I use as a "tag line" on private and "hobby boards"

58 secs in to this clip to 1.02.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQPz432NvRs
  • Options
    moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I wish there was a channel, on Freeview, that showed old movies and classic old TV shows. There IS a market for these kinda programmes.

I love to sit in on a rainy day & watch an old movie.

Definately agree there there are thousands of films thats never had a showning and a classic tv station would be great a new channel not Itv2,3,4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moviesman wrote: »
    Definately agree there there are thousands of films thats never had a showning and a classic tv station would be great a new channel not Itv2,3,4.

There's certainly several hundred classified as "film noir."

Here's the Wiki list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_noir_titles
  • Options
    moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I wish there was a channel, on Freeview, that showed old movies and classic old TV shows. There IS a market for these kinda programmes.

I love to sit in on a rainy day & watch an old movie.

Would love to see 2 of my favorite actors getting there early work showning Martin Landau and the Stuart Whitman as well as 50s and 60s monster scifi movies like Tarantula.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    Haven't watched TCM for years and just checked their schedule and next week seems to be all of the Rocky films and lots of Westerns :yawn:

I'm another film noir lover and remember BBC2 used to show a film noir on Friday nights (or more precisely well after midnight!) years ago. It's such a shame we don't get to see these great films on tv very much anymore. I must try and build more of a dvd collection!

I had a look on Movies 4 Men and noticed they're showing Farewell My Lovely with Dick Powell and Claire Trevor on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm and Build My Gallows High on Thursday at 1pm. I'll keep an eye on that channel from now on, I didn't really bother looking at it before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched TCM for years and just checked their schedule and next week seems to be all of the Rocky films and lots of Westerns :yawn:

I'm another film noir lover and remember BBC2 used to show a film noir on Friday nights (or more precisely well after midnight!) years ago. It's such a shame we don't get to see these great films on tv very much anymore. I must try and build more of a dvd collection!

I had a look on Movies 4 Men and noticed they're showing Farewell My Lovely with Dick Powell and Claire Trevor on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm and Build My Gallows High on Thursday at 1pm. I'll keep an eye on that channel from now on, I didn't really bother looking at it before.
    I have that film. "Farewell My Lovely/Murder My Sweet" as part of a boxed set of nine film noir DVDs issued by Universal, I bought several years ago. They replaced a few old VHS videos for me.

Chandler gave Marlowe (Robert Powell here) some great lines,

In this one;

"'Okay Marlowe,' I said to myself. 'You're a tough guy. You've been sapped twice, choked, beaten silly with a gun, shot in the arm until you're crazy as a couple of waltzing mice. Now let's see you do something really tough - like putting your pants on.'"
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    I have that film. "Farewell My Lovely/Murder My Sweet" as part of a boxed set of nine film noir DVDs issued by Universal, I bought several years ago. They replaced a few old VHS videos for me.

Chandler gave Marlowe (Robert Powell here) some great lines,

In this one;

"'Okay Marlowe,' I said to myself. 'You're a tough guy. You've been sapped twice, choked, beaten silly with a gun, shot in the arm until you're crazy as a couple of waltzing mice. Now let's see you do something really tough - like putting your pants on.'"

It's a great film, love that line! Wasn't there a remake with Robert Mitchum?