Options

Manicurists help!!!!!!!!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I had a mini manicure yesterday as a treat,and the nail tech buffed away the ridges in my nails. The trouble is, the ridges were pretty deep,and she has left my nails thin, bendy and painfull. One of my nails is nearly buffed down to bare skin (as opposed to nail) One nail has now broken very low. I am certain others will follow. What can I do? I just wanted my hands to look nice for the holidays :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Go back to them and try and get them to sort them if possible or get a refund or free pamper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VanillaK wrote: »
    Go back to them and try and get them to sort them if possible or get a refund or free pamper.

Can they be sorted though? I am going back on Tuesday as this is my hairdressers as well. I really think any chemicles will burn like crazy, it hurts just to wash my flipping hands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they should refund you then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money isn`t the problem. It was only a few pounds. I am more concerned about how long it will take for my nails to grow from bottom to top, and stop hurting like hell :(
  • Options
    PIDGASPIDGAS Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWalker wrote: »
    The money isn`t the problem. It was only a few pounds. I am more concerned about how long it will take for my nails to grow from bottom to top, and stop hurting like hell :(

I once read somewhere that it takes five months for fingernails to grow and I think it was 13 months for toenails. I can't be sure of that last one but it was a lot longer than fingernails.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PIDGAS wrote: »
    I once read somewhere that it takes five months for fingernails to grow and I think it was 13 months for toenails. I can't be sure of that last one but it was a lot longer than fingernails.

OMG!!!!! I could cry. They might be nice for next christmas then?:cry:
  • Options
    ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    All I can recommend is a good nutrient hand cream. Pop into your local chemist or other nail salon and get them to appraise the work that has been done. DON'T!! try to put false nails on, as like you've already said, your actual nail bed hurts. The best thing you can do is to just treat them with care right now, and once the pain subsides get a vitamin nail cream (nail inc) do them to put some nourishment back into your nails.

I really sympathise MsWalker. I have deep ridges in my thumb nails, the rest of my nails are fine, lovely and smooth, it's only my thumbs, but they look so unsightly. I give my thumbs a buff myself, to reduce the ridges, and as a rule they're ok. I have on the odd occasion gone too far with the buffing and have created weak spots, and it does hurt, but it does subside.

Get a second opinion if you can regarding the treatment, and if they're in agreement with you, that you've been given too harsh a manicure, it really would be advisable to go back and make a complaint.

Really hope your nails return to normal soon hun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can recommend is a good nutrient hand cream. Pop into your local chemist or other nail salon and get them to appraise the work that has been done. DON'T!! try to put false nails on, as like you've already said, your actual nail bed hurts. The best thing you can do is to just treat them with care right now, and once the pain subsides get a vitamin nail cream (nail inc) do them to put some nourishment back into your nails.

I really sympathise MsWalker. I have deep ridges in my thumb nails, the rest of my nails are fine, lovely and smooth, it's only my thumbs, but they look so unsightly. I give my thumbs a buff myself, to reduce the ridges, and as a rule they're ok. I have on the odd occasion gone too far with the buffing and have created weak spots, and it does hurt, but it does subside.

Get a second opinion if you can regarding the treatment, and if they're in agreement with you, that you've been given too harsh a manicure, it really would be advisable to go back and make a complaint.

Really hope your nails return to normal soon hun.

Thank you! I am putting cuticle oil on like mad. I use Decleor hand cream and L Occitane at night.

I really don`t want to cause a row at the salon,as that is my hairdressers as well, and everyone knows how hard it is to find one that suits you. On the other hand the girl could do this to someone else.

Thank you again for your advice Shuttermaze.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    I have had this problem about 6 months ago when I had acrylics put on my fingernails.

The nail technicians used electric files and buffers which were very, very powerful. My nails also became thin and I've had a deep dent in my left thumb nail until last week when it eventually broke off - now I've got a full fresh nail which hasn't had acrylic on at all.

I don't think there's anything you can do, I'd advise some sort of strengthener to keep what little amount of nail you've got left strong.

The salon I mentioned above have actually been reported as a couple of customers ended up with nail infections, my tutor at college actually said that the buffing isn't even really necessary, never mind electronically.

Hope they sort themselves soon.:(

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »
    I have had this problem about 6 months ago when I had acrylics put on my fingernails.

The nail technicians used electric files and buffers which were very, very powerful. My nails also became thin and I've had a deep dent in my left thumb nail until last week when it eventually broke off - now I've got a full fresh nail which hasn't had acrylic on at all.

I don't think there's anything you can do, I'd advise some sort of strengthener to keep what little amount of nail you've got left strong.

The salon I mentioned above have actually been reported as a couple of customers ended up with nail infections, my tutor at college actually said that the buffing isn't even really necessary, never mind electronically.

Hope they sort themselves soon.:(

:)

Thanks Em. I think I had better resign myself to this,and hope my nails grow quick. I have some Nail Envy here, which is great at strengthening nails, but there is no way I am putting it near my little finger. That is stinging like crazy.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This manicurist wasn't one of these little Chinese ladies with the vicious metal files, was it? I've had some personal experience of these!

Tip for getting rid of ridges - buff them down very gently, and NEVER use a metal file on them. Use a ridge filler (Nails Inc. does one) before putting on polish. I have ridges on my thumb nails, but when they're properly prepared you can't see the ridges at all.

To the OP: be prepared for your nails breaking as they grow, because they will, I've been there. Find a different manicurist and get your nails looked after regularly as they grow again. Even short nails can look good with dark lacquer on, I never grow mine long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PIDGAS wrote: »

I think nails grow about 1 mm a month in the winter and a bit faster in the summer. So you're right, it would take about 5 months for nails to grow their full length.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    This manicurist wasn't one of these little Chinese ladies with the vicious metal files, was it? I've had some personal experience of these!

Tip for getting rid of ridges - buff them down very gently, and NEVER use a metal file on them. Use a ridge filler (Nails Inc. does one) before putting on polish. I have ridges on my thumb nails, but when they're properly prepared you can't see the ridges at all.

To the OP: be prepared for your nails breaking as they grow, because they will, I've been there. Find a different manicurist and get your nails looked after regularly as they grow again. Even short nails can look good with dark lacquer on, I never grow mine long.

It was a young local girl :(

I had a manicure as my nails kept breaking! Ho hum. I will have to learn to love very short nails for a long time I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWalker wrote: »
    It was a young local girl :(

If I were you, I'd go to another manicurist immediately and get them to cut your nails quite short, so that you don't freak out every time one breaks. Take their advice on what to do, but I'd guess they'll advise using a nail strengthener, which will protect your nails until they get stronger. Treat your hands and nails really well, and even though they're short, they'll still look good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was a Chinese guy actually but there is a woman works there as well.. they seem to have a few shops all over the place, usually in the markets.

The finished nail looked lovely and they lasted better than any others I've ever had but it really wasn't worth it for the state it left my natural nails.:rolleyes::(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you, I'd go to another manicurist immediately and get them to cut your nails quite short, so that you don't freak out every time one breaks. Take their advice on what to do, but I'd guess they'll advise using a nail strengthener, which will protect your nails until they get stronger. Treat your hands and nails really well, and even though they're short, they'll still look good.

Thanks Susie. I will sort that out tomorrow. They are pretty short anyway. I have just braved Nail Envy. OUCH!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    when the soreness has gone you could probably toughen them up with some clear varnish, they shouldn't have filed the ridges out, I didnt know that was something you do, they should have used ridge filler I would imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »
    Yes, it was a Chinese guy actually but there is a woman works there as well.. they seem to have a few shops all over the place, usually in the markets.

The finished nail looked lovely and they lasted better than any others I've ever had but it really wasn't worth it for the state it left my natural nails.:rolleyes::(

I go to Nails Inc., which is a bit pricier than some, but I like my local one. The girls there are always complaining about the damage that the Chinese nail parlour up the road does to nails. As you say, the nails look fantastic when they're just done, but it's lethal for one's natural nails.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try some almond oil usually available from your chemist at less than £1 a bottle...this is what I use instead of the expensive cuticle oils from the manicurist....it nourishes, protects and costs next to nothing - but I have always found it better than anything else to keep your nails flexible and help them repair themselves as much as they can...after that all you can do is wait for the new nail to grow. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Betty. I will give it a try!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My manicurist advised me to use almond oil and massge it well into the cuticle, as this is where the new nail grows from, and the massaging action will help to promote a good blood supply to the nail bed and promote a good strong nail growth, but it will be a slow job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you pickledilly. At least they aren`t stinging as much today.
  • Options
    malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWalker, I think http://www.nailtiques.com/ would help you a lot.

Formula 2 probably best one. You can find it on eBay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much. I will find some now and buy it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought :D