George Osbourne - Master Roofer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
Forum Member
I was going to post a thread on this the other day, I think he was on The Daily Politics when he chirruped on about Labour not fixing the roof while the sun was shining. He used the term twice in the space of a few minutes, just in case it hadn't sunk in to our dopey minds. He's just used it again on Newsnight. :(

It was one of Cameron's soundbites from the despatch box, but the way it keeps getting repeated by them is now driving me mad.

So if your roof is giving you gyp, call Dave and George. They understand the roof game, and apparently it works the same way as the economy. Simple as. :D

Comments

• thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the tories were into demolition circa 1979 to 1997
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    the tories were into demolition circa 1979 to 1997

Really? there wasn't anything to demolish in '79.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to post a thread on this the other day, I think he was on The Daily Politics when he chirruped on about Labour not fixing the roof while the sun was shining. He used the term twice in the space of a few minutes, just in case it hadn't sunk in to our dopey minds. He's just used it again on Newsnight. :(

It was one of Cameron's soundbites from the despatch box, but the way it keeps getting repeated by them is now driving me mad.

So if your roof is giving you gyp, call Dave and George. They understand the roof game, and apparently it works the same way as the economy. Simple as. :D

This is exactly the same way Labour operated from 1994 to 1997.

Slogans repeated so much that they became nauseaus (to us more savvy politico's).

"Education, Education, Education."
    "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime."

It was all Bullshit but we lapped it up (me included - only in 1997 though!).

The tories are doing the same now.

Pointing out that Brown is a bottler - tick
    Pointing out that Brown is a ditherer - double tick
    Implying that Brown has a personality problem - tough, but in my opinion correct.
    Pointing out that Brown has no clear direction - tick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    jim_uk wrote: »
    Really? there wasn't anything to demolish in '79.

It just needed some re-modelling ;):D

...but arrgghh the analogy is driving me mad. It doesn't really mean anything. Ken Clarke, he was quite a good roofer, err chancellor - he certainly gave Gordon a nice roof to work with :p

ps you're right Mario, it is the same as "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" etc which I too lapped up, but then I assumed we would be tough on crime, and tough on the causes of crime, it never really happened did it. The slogan "we'll build more prisons" doesn't send out a nice positive message, but it would have been more useful than the empty rhetoric. I am sad to see the tories ape new labour so much. I think Blair and all his wars and so on, has made the likes of you and me a bit more cynical and hopefully more savvy. Please George, stop the roofing analogies. You sound like a prat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just needed some re-modelling ;):D

...but arrgghh the analogy is driving me mad. It doesn't really mean anything. Ken Clarke, he was quite a good roofer, err chancellor - he certainly gave Gordon a nice roof to work with :p

ps you're right Mario, it is the same as "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" etc which I too lapped up, but then I assumed we would be tough on crime, and tough on the causes of crime, it never really happened did it. The slogan "we'll build more prisons" doesn't send out a nice positive message, but it would have been more useful than the empty rhetoric. I am sad to see the tories ape new labour so much. I think Blair and all his wars and so on, has made the likes of you and me a bit more cynical and hopefully more savvy. Please George, stop the roofing analogies. You sound like a prat.

I don't agree.

In the old sexist world, all houswives knew that you had to "save for a rainy day".

In the new metrosexual world, all husbands feel the same way.

"Save for a rainy day" is engraned into all of us,

It is simple for the tories to argue that, when times were good, Gordon Brown did not "save for a rainy day".

Now that this "rainy day" is here, Gordon Brown is looking foolish.

The Tories have to keep it simple and direct it squarely at Gordon Brown.

"The end of boom and bust" must be at the heart of the Tory campaign in 2010.
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarioLanza wrote: »

Pointing out that Brown is a bottler - tick
    Pointing out that Brown is a ditherer - double tick
    Implying that Brown has a personality problem - tough, but in my opinion correct.
    Pointing out that Brown has no clear direction - tick.

Do you think they are targetting him? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    labour has invested..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    Do you think they are targetting him? :D

Certainly!

I would too. He is Labour's weekest link.

I voted Labour in 1997 but I now hate them with such anger that I've just banged my head against the wall - just thinking about them being re-elected in 2010.
    Forum Member
    MarioLanza wrote: »
    Certainly!

I would too. He is Labour's weekest link.

I voted Labour in 1997 but I now hate them with such anger that I've just banged my head against the wall - just thinking about them being re-elected in 2010.

yeah, I'm the same too. Iraq, 10p tax and Post Offices are the main reasons I could smash my head into a wall (but I'm not quite that soft ! ;):D).

I think Brown the Bottler etc is all fair comment, he does dither - I think even his most loyal labour supporters can see that. But as for the roofing metaphor, it just isn't necessary. Brown ballsed up on the economy in many ways (all becoming more evident day by day) but the Northern Rock shambles, which put £100 billion of debt on our books and threw his golden rules out the window is all the Tories need to mention. No run on a bank for 150 years, thats some record to throw away. Osbourne should repeat things like this, not twitter on about fixing the roof !:eek: The specifics are worse than the soundbites IMO.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a soundbite, it's a standard expression that everyone understands. If you find it repetitive you're not obliged to watch the same people being interviewed over and over again, they have to do a lot of shows and similar interviews to get coverage, it's due to the ever-decreasing reach of TV progs.
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    It isn't a soundbite, it's a standard expression that everyone understands.

True, I know. I look forward to Mervyn King's next letter to Alistair Darling starting off "It's a funny old game" and ending with "at the end of the day..." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    It isn't a soundbite, it's a standard expression that everyone understands. If you find it repetitive you're not obliged to watch the same people being interviewed over and over again, they have to do a lot of shows and similar interviews to get coverage, it's due to the ever-decreasing reach of TV progs.

nothing wrong with the nhs roof...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2083825/NHS-record-surplus-of-and1631.6bn-sparks-row.html

The NHS has a record £1.65bn surplus cash in the bank after years of cuts to patient services and staff training budgets.

(they can't bring themselves to say..after years of investment)
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    nothing wrong with the nhs roof...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2083825/NHS-record-surplus-of-and1631.6bn-sparks-row.html

The NHS has a record £1.65bn surplus cash in the bank after years of cuts to patient services and staff training budgets.

(they can't bring themselves to say..after years of investment)

Awesome, £1.65bn that didn't get spent on patients.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    The Tories are now reliant on the working-class vote and even a proportion of the newly created under-class vote to guarantee election to government.

Catch-phrases were central to the New Labour message and will need to be be an important component of the Tory message heading into the next election.

Personally, if I listen to them, I'm equally allergic to sound-bites, whether they come from the left or the right, but if the ones from the right help my own preferred party into power I will happily tolerate them.

Anyway, "Things can only get better" eh?