"Troll" taunts boxer over disabled daughter, then meets him for a fight...

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie Zelenoff is well known to the boxing community, he's not a troll, he's legitimately mentally ill. He's had a hiding before after sucker punching Floyd Mayweather Sr https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5emWTGtqr8

Mentally ill or not, he deserved that hiding. His nasty cheap-shot tactic in the end angers me, too.

Well, okay, not the hiding, but he needs to be told that you don't attack your opponent from behind after the match ends. Especially when the guy who's 40+ years older than you.

That said, if he's really mentally ill, the kindest thing the boxing community could do from now on is ignore his challenges and taunts.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Mentally ill or not, he deserved that hiding. His nasty cheap-shot tactic in the end angers me, too.

Well, okay, not the hiding, but he needs to be told that you don't attack your opponent from behind after the match ends. Especially when the guy who's 40+ years older than you.

That said, if he's really mentally ill, the kindest thing the boxing community could do from now on is ignore his challenges and taunts.
    Agreed.
    Being mentally ill is no excuse for making fun of someone's disabled daughter.
    He totally deserved what he got.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have gotten off so lightly if it had been Tyson that he was fighting. Tyson was crazy in the ring.

Yep, he would have been fortunate to get out of there with both ears intact.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think being mentally ill does diminish his responsibility somewhat. You can't really be held responsible for something caused by an illness. Random example, if you had a wee in the street because you were incontinent, then that would be a different matter to someone who just can't be bothered to find a toilet.

Having said that, I believe that if a mentally ill patient can't live in the community without committing crimes or otherwise harming others, then it needs to be addressed in some way - hospitalisation, medication, or close supervision. Not addressing it is unfair to both the person being subjected to abuse, and the mentally ill person themselves, who is then treated like a criminal, when they should not have been unsupervised / unmedicated in the first place.

I say the above as someone who has mental illness.
    Forum Member
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I think being mentally ill does diminish his responsibility somewhat. You can't really be held responsible for something caused by an illness. Random example, if you had a wee in the street because you were incontinent, then that would be a different matter to someone who just can't be bothered to find a toilet.

Having said that, I believe that if a mentally ill patient can't live in the community without committing crimes or otherwise harming others, then it needs to be addressed in some way - hospitalisation, medication, or close supervision. Not addressing it is unfair to both the person being subjected to abuse, and the mentally ill person themselves, who is then treated like a criminal, when they should not have been unsupervised / unmedicated in the first place.

I say the above as someone who has mental illness.

Doesn't that depend on what his mental illness is?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do it boxing, should have just laced the **** all over the place outside or summit, proper fight.
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Why do it boxing, should have just laced the **** all over the place outside or summit, proper fight.

Well for one thing that wouldn't look good on an up and coming boxer to get done for beating someone up on the street.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

Because boxing isn't illegal.
  • breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I liked the part where he ran away at the end :D

Seriously though, I don't condone the boxer hitting him when he was down by any means, but at the same time I really can't blame him after the guy targeted his daughter.

I would have to question though, if this is at least the second time the troll has done this, does he have a mental problem of some kind? Is there an underlying issue? I would think twice about trying to fight someone who behaves in this way often as it suggests either something's not quite right or that they are after the publicity- aka, they're an attention seeking loser who isn't worth the effort. Saying that, it's all well and good to say this now but in that situation I would probably think differently.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. I have no sympathy for snivelling little p****s on the internet desperate for relevance, attacking and belittling others for the thrills, and of course attention. Hope he can still feel the pain after landing on his arse.
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    ...with hilarious results. Although not quite what he probably expected.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/deontay-wilder-responds-barbs-charlie-3532005

That'll learn him... :D

LOVE IT :D
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    in england the trolll would've been sent to prison at least in america they let them fight it out like real men :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching some of the videos of him boxing he does not seem mentally ill at all, just an idiot full of himself who thinks hes something special, hes not.
  • thryberghthrybergh Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    in england the trolll would've been sent to prison at least in america they let them fight it out like real men :kitty:

In England, Kirsty Wark makes a TV show about how only women are the victims of trolls.

>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should have battered him. Perhaps caused him some mild form of brain damage.

That'd be good...
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I can't argue that it was definitely well deserved I do think the boxer should have known better and not risen to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blank wrote: »
    And just exactly what merits are there to that approach? :confused:

That we all enjoy seeing a vile troll get the right slap he so richly deserves?
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    However he put up far more of a fight than Fraudley Harrison ever did. :D

Ha very true. :D

The guy isn't mentally ill but seriously deluded and he is fortunate to have gotten off relatively lightly from Wilder, before running away...

The Floyd Mayweather Sr thing was embarrassing too.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of people with mental health issues who do not insult people's children. To absolve him of any responsibility due to an unsubstantiated rumour that he is mentally ill is ridiculous imo. When are people ever going to take responsibility for their actions if society always tries to find an excuse.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Blank wrote: »
    And just exactly what merits are there to that approach? :confused:

cuz thats how some men want to settle their differences. since they're both boxers and both agreed its all good. :kitty:
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    He should think himself lucky that it was only Wilder he trolled.

Mike Tyson would have eaten him.
  • james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punching a mentally ill man while he's on the floor that you outweigh by 100lbs is not a smart move by a professional boxer. Wilder is glass jawed fraud who's samosa chin is gonna get shattered by Stiverne. Hell, at least Zelenoff did better than Malik Scott.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    james2018 wrote: »
    Punching a mentally ill man while he's on the floor that you outweigh by 100lbs is not a smart move by a professional boxer. Wilder is glass jawed fraud who's samosa chin is gonna get shattered by Stiverne. Hell, at least Zelenoff did better than Malik Scott.

Yep.

The guy in the video is a typical Wilder hand-picked opponent. In fact, he put up more of a fight than most of them.

On a slightly unrelated note... I rather like the sheer terror of the guy in this video who made the mistake of harassing Mike Tyson in the street. The stare Tyson gives him and the panic in the guy's breathing is hilarious.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=InsDJ47-pjM
  • rjo333rjo333 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I have known Zelenoff for years - he is mentally ill. His mother has schizophrenia and I believe Charlie has it too.

In 2007, his dad bought him a camcorder and he filmed himself hitting a punch bag and uploaded it to a Boxing forum. People offered advice and criticised, which led to several video outbursts from Charlie challenging people to fights.

He generated such a buzz that a small town boxing promoter from Arkansas signed him up and gave him a pro fight. Charlie lost the fight via disqualification in round 1 for repeatedly complaining and spitting his gumshield out.

Since then, Charlie's behaviour has gotten worrying. He posts thousands of messages on Youtube and FaceBook every day, talking to himself, repeating the same stuff over and over.

He thinks he is the greatest fighter of all time, and walks around the streets of West Hollywood with a 'world title' talking to strangers. He films himself punching people (who don't fight back) in gyms and claims these as proof of his fighting ability.

He went into Mayweathers gym and attacked him from behind. He recently spent some time in jail for robbery.

As we speak he is posting videos on Youtube saying he wants to rematch Deontay Wilder.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »

Wait until he meets Wlad. :D

He is just bloody lucky Vitali has retired - that mans jaw was granite - the uppercut he took from Lewis may well have been the hardest I have ever seen taken by a fighter and not gone down. Never behind in a fight, and his only two losses down to injury. An awesome heavyweight who would have eaten 'gangsta' thug Tyson for breakfast.

Vital (like his brother) is also a true gentleman. :)