Options

EPG update is changing my TV channel!

Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
Forum Member
This may be really basic or I could be missing something obvious but i dont think i am!

The EPG was finally updated on my Sky HD box last week. All going well. However since the update my TV will completely randomly change channels! This may happen every few hours, so it will go from being on the HD source channel to switching to tv channel 4 (which is just snow!). Its not a massive deal but its becoming annoying and there doesnt seem to be any logical explanation.

Its not the actual Sky box itself thats the problem because i have the box attached to two tvs and the other one is completely fine so it must be some sort of conflict between the box and the tv? Maybe?

Does anyone had any thoughts or ideas or even heard of this happening before? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Chrisj3456Chrisj3456 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Does someone have the Sky+ app on an apple product? ive got this on my iphone and i can change channels on my box now, really annoys the other half :)
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is you box connected to the internet?
    sounds like someone is playing a trick on you by changing the channels using the iphone/ipad app.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Its not the actual Sky box itself thats the problem because i have the box attached to two tvs and the other one is completely fine so it must be some sort of conflict between the box and the tv? Maybe?

How is the box connected to the other TV?

What I'm wondering is if the HDMI signal drops out to the main TV for "a bit", whether the main TV is then defaulting back to normal TV (e.g. channel 4) because it thinks it has lost signal.

How to fix if this is the case? Other than making sure the HDMI is inserted firmly into the TV and Sky box you could :
    - try a power off of the Sky box.
    - If that doesn't work try a different HDMI cable?

Then I'm not sure......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys.

Its not an ipod/ipad issue. I have these apps on my phone and ipad but thats all.

The HDMI cable is a more plausable explanation as the other tv is through a scart cable so that would make sense BUT its only started happening when the update was done which seems hugely coincidental.

I KNOW no one else is using a remote app or anything like that, i live alone, however would there be anything about activating the app that could cause this to happen randomly? Obviously i could only set up the remote function once the update was done and that the only other thing thats changed.

Thanks for the ideas so far, i'll try swapping out the hdmi cable just in case.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrisj3456 wrote: »
    Does someone have the Sky+ app on an apple product? ive got this on my iphone and i can change channels on my box now, really annoys the other half :)

Me too...it's a very fun game to play on the kids too :D
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys.
    BUT its only started happening when the update was done which seems hugely coincidental.

Well it is possible that they (Sky) changed something in their HDMI protocol software that is showing an 'incompatibility' that wasn't previously there in the old system. That's the bit I'm not sure how to resolve...

Also worth trying to cover up the IR sensor receiver on the TV and Sky box just to make sure there isn't some sort of "interferer" changing channels (e.g. sunlight and or, well I don't know, I'm clutching at straws).

Anyway, if you turn the Sky box off (standby) via the remote does the TV go to channel 4? If it does I'd guess the reason for the issue would be Loss Of Signal.

Oh and just checking the box hasn't gone into standby :) Silly me of course not, you said the other TV was fine.
  • Options
    DoddieDoddie Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not an ipod/ipad issue. I have these apps on my phone and ipad but thats all.
    The only way to be sure of that would be to uninstall those apps, if the issue persists only then can you rule them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doddie wrote: »
    The only way to be sure of that would be to uninstall those apps, if the issue persists only then can you rule them out.

What I mean is it no one playing a trick on me or using the apps without me knowing!

It's the actual tv channel on the tv itself that is changing, nothing on the skybox or a sky channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the actual tv channel on the tv itself that is changing, nothing on the skybox or a sky channel.
    I appreciate that, but other than a sticking button on a remote control somewhere (TV or Sky) i don't see what else could be causing your issue... that is, assuming your box isn't somehow picking up a signal from a neighbours remote control, or other device.

"Zero's" and "One's" in this digital age have thrown up some very odd results in areas least expected.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got the same problem except my TV goes to channel 2.

I am completely flummoxed by it.

I have swapped out all cables, sat with the batteries out of remote controls, all other electronics turned off ... then completely at random my TV will jump from my sky signal to terrestrial channel 2 and need to have the source reset to HDMI 1 input.

It does not happen when I am using any other source i.e. Blu ray or Roku box.

So I am also pointing the blame at software on the sky box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curious, what box model and software version do you (Cantona07 & AVTECH) have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drx890
    R005.053.70.11p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For further info,

TV is "badged" MURPHY, 42" 3D
    attached to :-
    sky box on HDMI 1
    Roku 2 box on HDMI 2
    Bluray on HDMI 3
    DVD Scart 1

Whoa ! just did it while I'm typing this.

Digital TTV via RF 1
    and RF2 is feeding a 2nd TV set (CRT) which is not affected.

Damn ! Did it again that's twice in 5 mins (4 hours since previous occurrence)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AVTECH wrote: »
    Drx890
    R005.053.70.11p.
    For further info,

TV is "badged" MURPHY, 42" 3D
    attached to :-
    sky box on HDMI 1
    By a strange set of circumstances i have the same TV and set top box as you, that said, i have a newer software version for the DRX890 than you:
    R005.053.70.12P

I'd hazard a guess that if you can force update your box to this version then your issue may well disappear.

When i say strange, Sky, as part of the Samsung beta programme wanted to narrow down the issues i was having with my Samsung 973008. The end result being that i now have a new DRX890 which was installed on the 16th, the software that's installed is not Beta and was carried out as per a routine installer visit, it should be available to your box as well if you do a forced download.

For the record, i've never seen this problem with my Murphy, that said, until i got the DRX890 i'd never had an Amstrad/Sky box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have forced an update to R005.053.70.12P .
    So I will see what happens now !

I will report back (but it may be a couple of days to give it a real test)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck!
    (i think you'll be pleasently surprised.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO LUCK !

It has done it again already while watching breakfast TV.

So this software is no different on this matter, or it may be I'm looking in the wrong direction altogether, but I have run out of things to try.

Argh !! It jumps tp terrestrial BBC2 again.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow, so its happening to someone else! Thats reassuring i suppose!

I tried isolating it with the connections and cables i have with no success but thats all i had a chance to try.

The plot thickens!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an hour of real "silly beggars" :-

It jumped out of sky signal to ch2 and had to be reset 5 times in ten minutes.:mad:

On the last time the picture came back but no sound.

Reset again and NOTHING No picture no sound....TV could not see Sky box through HDMI 1 at all,:mad:

So tried 3 different HDMI cables..... NOTHING:mad:

tried it in 3 different HDMI ports..... NOTHING:mad:

tried signal from RF 1..... OK
    tried signal via RF 2..... OK
    Plugged in a scart lead..... OK

So it looked like the HDMI output was the problem,

Rebooted sky box....... NOTHING:mad:

then brought the 15" set from the bedroom plugged in the HDMI..... IT WORKED THERE:confused:

So back to sky box connected to HDMI 1 on the lounge TV .......NOTHING

Left it like that while I was taking the small set back to the bedroom.....
    5 mins later I was touching nothing , the remotes were lying on the floor, totally unprovoked
    BINGO It came on
    it is now OK
    All working...:D

But watch this space......:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO LUCK !

It has done it again already while watching breakfast TV.

So this software is no different on this matter, or it may be I'm looking in the wrong direction altogether, but I have run out of things to try.

Argh !! It jumps tp terrestrial BBC2 again.:mad:
    May be time to phone the number on the manual that came with your Murphy TV? If only to rule out a fault with the TV.

Fwiw, i phoned them regarding the really crap 3D picture (ghosting) i had on mine, the call was answered quickly and an engineer sent out 2 days later... that said i did kind of feel fobbed off with his response that i probably wouldn't get any better even if they took it away for repair... had i not just given my old Philips 32" to a friend in need i'd have argued he take it away, but that would've left me without a TV for at least a week.

If user feedback about these TV's build up online, and others see the same issue, then perhaps i'll give them another call before the warranty runs and try again, but as things stand there's very little information to be found about them. i.e. There is no official or unofficial Forum for Murphy, or the many different brandings that adorn the same TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an hour of real "silly beggars" :-

It jumped out of sky signal to ch2 and had to be reset 5 times in ten minutes.:mad:

On the last time the picture came back but no sound.

Reset again and NOTHING No picture no sound....TV could not see Sky box through HDMI 1 at all,:mad:

So tried 3 different HDMI cables..... NOTHING:mad:

tried it in 3 different HDMI ports..... NOTHING:mad:

tried signal from RF 1..... OK
    tried signal via RF 2..... OK
    Plugged in a scart lead..... OK

So it looked like the HDMI output was the problem,

Rebooted sky box....... NOTHING:mad:

then brought the 15" set from the bedroom plugged in the HDMI..... IT WORKED THERE:confused:

So back to sky box connected to HDMI 1 on the lounge TV .......NOTHING

Left it like that while I was taking the small set back to the bedroom.....
    5 mins later I was touching nothing , the remotes were lying on the floor, totally unprovoked
    BINGO It came on
    it is now OK
    All working...:D

But watch this space......:p
    Looking a lot like you may have an issue with the HDMI ports on the TV, especially as the 15" picked up the signal straight away.

Probably confirmed by the fact i have the same TV and Sky box as you but don't see this issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doddie wrote: »
    Looking a lot like you may have an issue with the HDMI ports on the TV, especially as the 15" picked up the signal straight away.

But no problems with the roku box or bluray through the HDMI ports:confused:

Seems OK just now, will give it a couple of days to see what happens.

ps I am also one of the people suffering from the disappearing/reappearing STV HD on the added channels, so again looking at sky box and software.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be worth seeing if there is a firmware update available for your tv. If nothing else but to rule that out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ps I am also one of the people suffering from the disappearing/reappearing STV HD on the added channels, so again looking at sky box and software.
    To be honest, i think i'm getting out of my depth with regards to your box and TV, all i can say for certain is, i haven't seen this behaviour with my Murphy TV on any of the Samsung beta releases that Sky uploaded to my Samsung box, and i haven't seen it on the DRX890 they later installed.

I also haven't seen this behaviour reported for any box in the official "Enhanced EPG - Samsung, Pace & DRX780" beta testers thread on the Sky Forums.

That said, i didn't pay much attention to the Pace threads as i deemed them irrelivant at the time.

I also didn't have/don't have access to the Amstrad or Sky DRX890 beta testing Forums... i think they are now closed.

If i come across something that may be relevant to, or substantiates, your issue rest assured i'll tell you about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quoted you on this then never followed it up! lol

Concesus appears to be it's an STV issue and nothing to to with the new EPG software, that said, the new EGP software no longer allows the FEC setting 8/9 that's required to manually install STVHD as an additional channel.

If you already have STVHD as an additional channel DO NOT delete it because you will not be able to add it again with the new EPG.