Digital Spy web site

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have Sky Broadband and use Internet Explorer. As the day wears on it takes longer and longer to connect with the DS web site. At 7 or 8 am it's instant and no problems. By 7 pm it has slowed to a crawl with pages freezing and constantly disappearing.By 10 pm it's basically at a standstlll and I have to reboot all the time.I don't have this problem with any other web site. I assume it's at my end not DS. I have a relatively new PC and Sky have assured me there is no problem with the Broadband.Any ideas please ?

Comments

• victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are not alone, it's been poor for several days now, I use an iPad mainly and the back button has stopped working too.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I have Sky Broadband and use Internet Explorer. As the day wears on it takes longer and longer to connect with the DS web site. At 7 or 8 am it's instant and no problems. By 7 pm it has slowed to a crawl with pages freezing and constantly disappearing.By 10 pm it's basically at a standstlll and I have to reboot all the time.I don't have this problem with any other web site. I assume it's at my end not DS. I have a relatively new PC and Sky have assured me there is no problem with the Broadband.Any ideas please ?

I have the same problem at work at nights. Do you use an ad blocker?

If not, I find the dreadful video ads at the top of the screen are the culprits. My laptop at home (with ad blocker) is fine but the work PC (without) is as desribed.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    I have the same problem at work at nights. Do you use an ad blocker?

If not, I find the dreadful video ads at the top of the screen are the culprits. My laptop at home (with ad blocker) is fine but the work PC (without) is as desribed.

Where would I find the ad blocker, it doesn't appear on my PC ?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Then you probably don't have one. Search for Adblock using Google.
  • simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not Sky Broadbands fault, it's Digital Spy. I have the same problem on the lap top and the Ipad; I've used (or not used) Digital Spy at work which is connected to BT Internet and the same problem there; also in Spain it's an issue. It's because Digital Spy insists on running damn adverts down the side of articles and also the video ads too. It never used to be a problem a few years back but it got worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded Ad Blocker but it seemed to make things even worse so I've uninstalled it. The only solution seems to be to come on between about 6 and 8 am which is
    highly inconvenient if you're working late (or go to another web site of course). Thanks to everyone for their comments, maybe someone at DS will take note !
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Use a better browser than IE. If you switch to Firefox or Chrome you won't go back to IE. DS and most other websites will run better when you use one of these browsers.
  • davewsdavews Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I use MVPS Hosts - http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm - and don't see any ads on DS. Pretty fast on Sky broadband as well. (and I will probably get banned for blocking their ads...).
  • Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Ads are much worse using IE than Chrome.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Weblock on the iPad and Adblock Plus on the PC.
  • simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use a better browser than IE. If you switch to Firefox or Chrome you won't go back to IE. DS and most other websites will run better when you use one of these browsers.

I’ve tried Google Chrome and Firefox, don’t like them at all. We use Firefox at work and everyone moans about it.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded Adblock from the App Store for my iPad today. It's free. It seems that it redirects the add via a VPN and set up is simple. So far it has cured the slow page loading and no ads.
  • tk99uktk99uk Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I use Weblock on the iPad and Adblock Plus on the PC.

I saw this thread in passing today. I've been having trouble with slow downloads for DS for months now. I know it's nothing at my end as everything else is OK. I've installed Adblock Plus and DS is whizzing along fast as you like now. Thanks!
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had no issues at all. Quick and responsive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now installed Adblock Plus and it seems to have sorted the problem. Thanks as ever to those who replied.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Ad block is a must for digitalspy, my ipad was suffering loading or pages jumping when scrolling. The laptop has ad block on now and ds loads quick and is 100 times more responsive.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've had to stop using Internet Explorer when using this site because it causes the browser to become very unstable. I use Firefox on here which is much better. As with you, I don't have this problem on any other site with Internet Explorer.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just posted about this and did not see your post in connection with sky. For three weeks I have had to give up using sky broadband, the line goes down and then off completely. I see on the website there are manyy other customers having similar problems. At least your problem is concerning explorer. I have Chrome and I know the problem is at Sky's end.
  • jthspacejthspace Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I recently loaded Firefox as Sky Go has stopped working on Chrome (MAC) - for whatever reason, not important for this post - and the "nude" version of Firefox (with no add-ons etc.) was unusable with this site - one ad. in particular seemed to have a problem with its script which put it in a loop taking all of the processor. Adblock, obviously, sorted it out. However, this is a great site and the ads pay for it so although I use Adblock, I do feel guilty as I am depriving the site of income. I have had great tips and answers from here, so hopefully you can understand my point - I am NOT connected to teh site in anyway.

Another site, I see a 1" ad inserted between every few posts - unobtrusive and if it helps the running costs, great. Preferable to loopy video ads and similar.

The one that REALLY annoys me is when I have done a search (for example) for a bed and then I see an ad based on recent serch results appearing everywhere - once I have bought a bed, I dont need to see an ad asking me to buy another! Wait 5 years or something . . . :) Yes, I have a tracking delete add-in but it still happens

Jeff
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to say that I'm not with Sky for broadband.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a Mac with Safari, this is the only site that has ever caused the Apple beach ball to appear. Safari power saver seems to help but the site can be an absolute pain. I used to use a windows xp machine, IE was hopeless on this site but FireFox was better. Even so I sometimes had to reboot the machine as it would lock up. At least I don't have that problem with the MAC (Mavericks OS). I'm with Talktalk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    If it is only the Digital Spy website where you are having the problems between those times, then this is almost certainly an issue with their server during peak times. Unfortunatly the real fix for this is for DS to add sufficient capacity to cover peak ussage, anything you do yourself will only result in a marginal performance improvement