Options

Sick of women moaning about celeb sizes?

kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
Forum Member
Am I the only person who is sick and tired of women using celeb's weight as an excuse for their own problems? Seriously if a celeb is even slightly small these days you can guarantee hoards of women jumping on their cases and ranting on about them being bad role models for girls or they'll come out with such lines as "no wonder so many girls have weight issues" and basically do anything to attack anybody who dares to look thin.

Nobody finds overly thin anorexic girls attractive, it's not even like we are talking about celebs who are like that, we are for the most part talking about normal sized people, small and slight people who have perfectly healthy body sizes.

Just look in the Jennifer Love Hewitt thread, the woman works hard to try and lose that fat flabby ass of hers (yes that's what it is) and she gets criticized for it, even though she looks a million times better and is far more in proportion to her natural body weight the way she is now, regardless of what people will tell you.

This is a mini rant but i'm fed up with women going on like being thin is the ultimate evil. I'm all for people bucking the trend of us becoming a nation of fatties, these people should be held up as role models and not attacked for simply keep in shape.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Agreed. Unless there's rolls of flab hanging off them, they're slated for being "too thin".

Other than Allegra Versace, I can't think of a current celebrity who is Anorexic - in the medical sense of the word, rather than a magazine definition :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a slightly chubby woman, I am guilty of making disparaging comments about celeb women under a size 10, partly through jealousy (when they are also pretty and talented!), partly through disbelief that they are all naturally slim, and also with anger that they perpetuate the idea to society that all women should be that size in order to be considered attractive.

As I also said to my OH the other night, you will ever understand the frustration felt about these bloody perfect stick-thin stars unless you are an overweight woman yourself, because partly thanks to them, overweight women feel unattractive and marginalised, much like, I expect, some bald men. That is the only other category I can even begin to compare it to!

These celebs certainly help to gnaw away at my self-esteem when I flick through a gossip mag, and I'm sick of it, hence the retaliation on here.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Least you are honest about your reasons.

But surely you understand that it's not the celebs fault you have self-esteem issues? So attacking them is rather pointless. I'm not trying to be rude, I myself have certain self-esteem issues but realise these problems are within me and they are in my head and how others are or act really isn't the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - if you don't like the way you look do something about it, although there are extremes (Nicole Richie, Portia di Rossi) when they looked ill. I think JLH looks much better for it.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media and general public's obsession with the weight of just about any woman who happens to be in the public eye is ludicrous and often spiteful and nasty. I pay it no attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It bores me to tears, Heat magazine is the worst "skinny celebs" "size 0" all this bullshit with pics of celebrities at odd angles with bones jutting out,and on the next issues "Sod the diet" stars fatten up" with pictures of celebs with celulite of scoffing food. They can't win. Someone like Britney who seems to be a yoyo dieter is criticised whatever she does. I couldn't care less how much celebs weigh I prefer good old fashioned trashy gossip anyday. Sure i'll take a quick look if someone has lost or put on a lot of weight but I don't think it merits a whole 6page spread, it really doesnt concern or entertain me that much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    It's the snacking that is the problem. Next time you are in a coffee shop look around. Men can just have a coffee but I guarantee you all the women in the place will have a muffin or a cake too. So thats about 400 calories right there. That's equivalent to about 1 hour of lady-jogging. Instead all you hear is "I don't understand it. I hardly eat a thing."
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weight has become too much of an issue these days, and most of us are guilty of buying into it to an extent.

Downmarket publications such as Heat make it their business to give the readers weekly 'updates' on whether a celebrity has gained or lost a few pounds, even if the difference in their body shape is negligible.
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    As a slightly chubby woman, I am guilty of making disparaging comments about celeb women under a size 10, partly through jealousy (when they are also pretty and talented!), partly through disbelief that they are all naturally slim, and also with anger that they perpetuate the idea to society that all women should be that size in order to be considered attractive.

As I also said to my OH the other night, you will ever understand the frustration felt about these bloody perfect stick-thin stars unless you are an overweight woman yourself, because partly thanks to them, overweight women feel unattractive and marginalised, much like, I expect, some bald men. That is the only other category I can even begin to compare it to!

These celebs certainly help to gnaw away at my self-esteem when I flick through a gossip mag, and I'm sick of it, hence the retaliation on here.

A size 8-10 isn't stick thin though! I'm a size 10 and could never be described as stick thin. In fact, even if I lost half a stone, I still wouldn't be a skinny so-and-so! I just think I'm nicely covered and have no desire to be either thinner or fatter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    It's a sad state of affairs when a womans weight is headline news.

I'd way prefer a body like Kimberley from Girls Aloud than Cheryl Cole....

Good morning ;)

Wouldnt mind her face either. :D

Of course shes not 'average' by any stretch, but shes not a lollypop head. She's probably a healthy size 10. We cant escape the culture of thinness we have, but If we had more women who were healthy size 10s rather than lollypop head size 6s and 4s (US size 2 and 0), perhaps women can stop feeling so bad about themselves. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when a womans weight is headline news.

I'd way prefer a body like Kimberley from Girls Aloud than Cheryl Cole....

Good morning ;)

Wouldnt mind her face either. :D

Of course shes not 'average' by any stretch, but shes not a lollypop head. She's probably a healthy size 10. We cant escape the culture of thinness we have, but If we had more women who were healthy size 10s rather than lollypop head size 6s and 4s (US size 2 and 0), perhaps women can stop feeling so bad about themselves. :)

Cheryl looks grossly under-nourished there andsad whereas Kimberley looks healthy and happy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member

I admire your honesty. :)

However, as someone who is "naturally" a size 10 I feel like I and other people should not be made to feel guilty because others do not feel they are slim enough.

We are not responsible for other people's self esteem issues. I cannot help that unlike my best friend I can eat pretty much anything I like and not gain significant amounts of weight.

Yet she tries to make me feel guilty about it, and the simple fact is that she does eat more than I do!!

I eat what I like but I eat it in pretty small amounts. For example, I want some chocolate so I eat 1 or 2 chocolate bars, she wants some chocolate, she eats a whole pack of kit kats throughout the day.

The same with my other friends and family, I admit, I eat crap but I eat small amounts of it.

Unless you have a medical condition you only have yourself to blame if you are overweight. No one else except yourself.

(this was not aimed at you btw I don't mean to cause you any offence) :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to know why some women have weight problems. I ask as I don't know any, so I'm interested to hear what some women are eating, not eating etc.

Laura:) you eat 1 or 2 bars of chocolate???? You must have a fast metabolism or you're very young.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno - It seems that at lot of people who post on digital spy who have issues about women and their weight are men.

I wish that posters would realise that women come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and crucially that you can't ruddy tell what size a celeb is. I am tall so people constantly think I weigh less than I do. When they find out my actual dress size they are suprised that its bigger than they thought. If most people can't tell what dress size someone is when they are stood right in front of them what hope have they got when they only have pictures in magazines and on TV to go from?

I find the 'she must be anorexic' brigade equally as offensive as the 'look at the rolls of flab' brigade. I wish as a society that we wouldn't judge these women so much on what we think they (should) weigh *sigh*
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »

What a horrid picture of Cheryl - she looks like a 10 year old girl :eek:

I'm not overweight (granted I am not as toned as I'd like to be but I'm a size 8/10) and I just feel so sad when I see Cheryl Cole / Jordon etc....

These women obviously have terrible body image and clearly forgot how to actually enjoy food a long time ago.

I don't want our kids to grow up thinking that thin = beautiful and I'd like to see more women promoting 'healthy-ness' as opposed to 'thin-ness'

Between the whole obesity furore and the Lollipop celebs future female generations are fcuked :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    OATZ MM wrote: »
    I'm interested to know why some women have weight problems. I ask as I don't know any, so I'm interested to hear what some women are eating, not eating etc.

Laura:) you eat 1 or 2 bars of chocolate???? You must have a fast metabolism or you're very young.

Yeah like a mars bar or a toffee crisp. I don't think that is bad compared to a whole pack of kit kats :)
  • Options
    CrckyCrcky Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its the media that feed the public this i dont know no girls who moan about celebs being thin and blaming them but i think it aint good for young girls in school to be keep seeing those pictures of to thin celebs like girls aloud. i am 19 and i do know 4 girls wit anorexa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crcky wrote: »
    its the media that feed the public this i dont know no girls who moan about celebs being thin and blaming them but i think it aint good for young girls in school to be keep seeing those pictures of to thin celebs like girls aloud. i am 19 and i do know 4 girls wit anorexa

I do not think that seeing pictures of a celebrity will make anyone anorexic.
  • Options
    CrckyCrcky Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    !J! wrote: »
    I do not think that seeing pictures of a celebrity will make anyone anorexic.

i wasnt saying that tho i aint a doctor so i cant say but it is my POV that girls in the public eye are very thin and i think wen size 6 is said its curvy thats just :eek: cos my little sister is 12 and she is a size 6 and she aint big she is small for 12. also the things we see a lot we the think its normal.

i aint saying its like you see one picture so you dont eat it is a lot about your own self. but i dont think it helps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crcky wrote: »
    i wasnt saying that tho i aint a doctor so i cant say but it is my POV that girls in the public eye are very thin and i think wen size 6 is said its curvy thats just :eek: cos my little sister is 12 and she is a size 6 and she aint big she is small for 12. also the things we see a lot we the think its normal.

i aint saying its like you see one picture so you dont eat it is a lot about your own self. but i dont think it helps.

Lol, I take it your refering to when they said nicole richie was a 6 and had a new curvey figure lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that annoys me most about the media's obsession with female celebs' weight is when tabloids like the Daily Mail print non-stories about certain people gaining a few pounds. I thought their attack on Rachel Hunter was particularly distasteful and now they're picking on poor Lucy Davis.

I personally couldn't give a monkeys if Cheryl Cole is a size 0 or Rachel Hunter is a big fat hippo. It doesn't affect how I feel about my own figure. I'm very happy being a size 12 after years of yo-yo dieting. I've been as slim as a size 6 and as big as a 16 so I know how it feels from both sides. I realise a size 12 is probably considered fat these days but as far as I'm concerned I'm slim. Although not for much longer as I'm nearly 4 months pregnant and munching on a Cadbury's fruit and nut!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Am I the only person who is sick and tired of women using celeb's weight as an excuse for their own problems? Seriously if a celeb is even slightly small these days you can guarantee hoards of women jumping on their cases and ranting on about them being bad role models for girls or they'll come out with such lines as "no wonder so many girls have weight issues" and basically do anything to attack anybody who dares to look thin.

I see your point but not every female who says they believe somebody is a bad role model does so out of their own security. I myself am slim, i work as a model to pay my university fees, although there are a few things id maybe like to change about myself, overall im happy with my body. I think slim, healthy celebrities are great because they show a healthy lifestyle equals a healthy body. but celebs like cheryl cole who are clearly underweight ARE bad role models. she has lost so much weight she no longer has hips. im gutted she will be on xfactor as lots of young girls watch and are aware that cheryl is labelled 'beautiful', sending the message that her scrawny frame is desirable. so whilst i see where you are coming from in some cases, other times womens concern over role models stems from just that, concern, not because they are unhappy with their own figure. after all, critisizing someone thinner than you wont make them bigger or you thinner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    joo-joo wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me most about the media's obsession with female celebs' weight is when tabloids like the Daily Mail print non-stories about certain people gaining a few pounds. I thought their attack on Rachel Hunter was particularly distasteful and now they're picking on poor Lucy Davis.

I personally couldn't give a monkeys if Cheryl Cole is a size 0 or Rachel Hunter is a big fat hippo. It doesn't affect how I feel about my own figure. I'm very happy being a size 12 after years of yo-yo dieting. I've been as slim as a size 6 and as big as a 16 so I know how it feels from both sides. I realise a size 12 is probably considered fat these days but as far as I'm concerned I'm slim. Although not for much longer as I'm nearly 4 months pregnant and munching on a Cadbury's fruit and nut!

:D

Go for it. If you can't eat like hell when you're pregnant, when can you??!

A size 12 isn't fat, btw but I know what you mean. I've stood next to tiny people and thought I must be massive compared to them but it changes nothing with me and my diet. I eat pretty much what I like and take some exercise, and to hell with it. At 8 and a half stone and a size 10, I'm not exactly tipping the scales and there's no way I'm gonna starve myself to be a size smaller..... I'm happy as I am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flipside for me is that as a thin, skinny woman who just can't put any weight on I get tired of being told or intimated at that because of my small size and thin frame I'm not a 'real' woman. Magazines like Heat and other such publications do nothing to help my self esteem and I get tired of being bracketed in as having some form of eating disorder when I don't...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sick of the entire gamut of being too plump, too fat, too thin.What not to wear.Being "achingly cool" or an uber fashionasta and other such superficial rubbish females live by ,not forgetting exercise and diet regimes. Boring boring boring obsession whilst life passes by at a rude speed.

The famous spend about 4 hours a day in hair and make up and massages and treatments then they go shopping.. ho di hum.... and no more than 5 minutes per day on 3 meals, what shallow lives they live.