Bloody hell this thread's been dbar'd
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    angel1ka! You've got it on the brain today! :eek: :eek: :D

:eek:

that was an accident, i promise. i don't know if i should edit it or not.

damn, i'm blushing now.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's classic! :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Yep.

Pairofpants
    Ladyknight
    Stewbob
    Early Riser
    Drut

RIP to all of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Yep.

Pairofpants
    Ladyknight
    Stewbob
    Early Riser
    Drut

RIP to all of them.

I didnt realise pairofpants had died....I am a frequent reader but very infrequent poster. I remember their posts well :(
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm just a sad bastard but there are a few people who I'd be pretty upset about if they just disappeared without saying anything and I had no way of knowing if they were dead or alive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On another forum I was on a much loved member died young and they changed the banner on the front page in memory of them for like a day.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermjca died of pneumonia last year. I know it sounds like a cliche, but he was one of nicest guys on DS.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hermjca died of pneumonia last year. I know it sounds like a cliche, but he was one of nicest guys on DS.

Yes, that was a very sad loss.........great guy, the sports thread misses him very much

Ladyknight was a real shock, she was only in her 40s and was the first death of an FM I was aware of. Several of my closest DS chums had met her in Real Life and I'd seen photos of them together. She'd not always been my favourite, but I'd just started getting on well with her when she passed away. Very sad.

A couple who haven't been mentionned .........Socrateez, a regular on the BB forum, erudite and witty

Anyone remember the lady doctor, Stephoscope ?, or Steph. She was quite young as well.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes people are in touch with family of the person who died, and find out that way, especially if they know the person is ill beforehand.
  • Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermjca gone??? He was prolific. RIP.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Sometimes people are in touch with family of the person who died, and find out that way, especially if they know the person is ill beforehand.

My family know I have friends on here - I have them on my phone. If it were me, my sister would get in touch with one or all of them, same as she would with my other friends.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was someone who used to post on the BBC messageboards ( back when they used to be good), on POV and Fame Academy. I liked him a lot, and he died in a car crash.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I know that one member died last year and that was Simon Luxton (aka GH Online on here and tvarksouthwest on the TV Forum).
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a sad thread :(

*lights a candle*
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on a forum years ago where a poster died. She was only in her 20s. Had said earlier in th week she had these strange pains and we told her to go to the doctor's. She'd been building a website the morning she died. She went in the afternoon, and collapsed in the waiting room - blood clot I think it was. Quite a few FMs went to her funeral. It was a bit strange as she'd posted a lot of personal stuff we'd tried t help her with about the family she didn't get on with and then there they all were at the funeral, and the FMs had to be tactful with them, knowing what the girl had ben through with them. I'd given her advice a few times in the forum and on PM, and always felt she was somehow quite vulnerable.

On another forum years ago, someone died in a house fire. Again some FMs went to the funeral.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Yes, that was a very sad loss.........great guy, the sports thread misses him very much

Ladyknight was a real shock, she was only in her 40s and was the first death of an FM I was aware of. Several of my closest DS chums had met her in Real Life and I'd seen photos of them together. She'd not always been my favourite, but I'd just started getting on well with her when she passed away. Very sad.

A couple who haven't been mentionned .........Socrateez, a regular on the BB forum, erudite and witty

Anyone remember the lady doctor, Stephoscope ?, or Steph. She was quite young as well.

Yes indeed. He was loved there. He lived up to his username.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering that when a poster dies, does their user name become available again, or is it locked into the database with their posts ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering that when a poster dies, does their user name become available again, or is it locked into the database with their posts ?

Not unless their account is deactivated.

And - as far as I am aware - that has never happened.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Not unless their account is deactivated.

And - as far as I am aware - that has never happened.

Personally, I don't think the accounts should be de-activated, out of a mark of respect, unless by request from close relatives for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think the accounts should be de-activated, out of a mark of respect, unless by request from close relatives for example.

I agree.

And apart from that - I would guess that an account can only be deactivated by the FM themself - and they are not gonna be in a position to do that.

Unless the "next of kin" or somebody else knows their password.

And I wonder if the mods would deactivate an account of somebody whose death has been announced if a request came in from that very account a few days later. When clearly it would not be the actual FM who was requesting it.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    I agree.

And apart from that - I would guess that an account can only be deactivated by the FM themself - and they are not gonna be in a position to do that.

Unless the "next of kin" or somebody else knows their password.

And I wonder if the mods would deactivate an account of somebody whose death has been announced if a request came in from that very account a few days later. When clearly it would not be the actual FM who was requesting it.

Unless they faked their death and as this is the internet I guess you wouldn't know always.