New job - feel terrible?

2»

Comments

• Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the advice :)
    pugamo wrote: »
    Just give it time. The first few weeks until you know what you're doing are always awkward, What role do you work in?

I'm an ICT Technician. Currently learning 'how they do things', which is different to the last school.
    I remember my first job and how weird it was going from student to 'grown up worker.' Sorry, don't mean that to sound patronising :) But suddenly I was working and expected to interact with people much older who I had little in common with.

You sound older and wiser than your years from your post and you are lucky that your workmates sound welcoming. I think the thing to do is just relax and be yourself. I'm sure they'll appreciate you are new, younger and its your first job. We've all been there.

Maybe join in the cake bake to show willing.........you can always buy a packet mix and cheat - that's what I'd do :D

Good luck!

I agree, they are much older. It's just very tense and awkward. I suppose I also need to work on communicating with teachers and become more friendly. Next week, I (for some reason) am teaching a class, so need to communicate with students better. Creating a school newspaper (I think).

Thanks again.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a network Manager at a Secondary School, i've hired two apprentices at the same time, I took them out for lunch so they could get to know me and each other in a relaxed setting, found it worked well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JARV wrote: »
    I'm a network Manager at a Secondary School, i've hired two apprentices at the same time, I took them out for lunch so they could get to know me and each other in a relaxed setting, found it worked well

Great to know. They have in fact offered. Did you find they were quiet for the first few weeks? Also, what was their knowledge like?

With regards to handling students/teaching, any advice?
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they were abit quiet, but I gave them plenty of help and advice and time and it all worked out well, yes they had good troubleshooting skills plus an eagerness to learn
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I am confused most likely as over 60 I thought all students left school at 18 years what are you employed as
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    lozenger wrote: »
    My old college teacher used to do this to remember the names of all us students - we caught a glimpse of his list one day it said things like:-

lozenger - pink hair, gobby,
    Binny - lanky, spotty guy
    Julie - short, fat, glasses

etc...

You'll be fine OP, if anything the others will probably want to mother you - let em. You'll find things to talk about once you get to know them and in a couple of weeks you will wonder what on earth you were worried about.

Was her name Linda? :D
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Rosie147 wrote: »
    Was her name Linda? :D

If you read the post properly, the college teacher was ‘male; so to answer your question “computer says no”...............I suppose he could have been a ‘rubbish transvestite’ though.
  • Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean about preffering water and turning down offers of a hot drink....I'm the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oldcrakpot wrote: »
    Hi
    I am confused most likely as over 60 I thought all students left school at 18 years what are you employed as

I'm an ICT Technician. A staff meeting went on also, which meant while 3 weeks ago I was finishing GCSE exams I am now working with teachers and talking to them by their first name.

Anyway, as per the advice. I'll just have to work through it and get to know people.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I'm an ICT Technician. A staff meeting went on also, which meant while 3 weeks ago I was finishing GCSE exams I am now working with teachers and talking to them by their first name.

Anyway, as per the advice. I'll just have to work through it and get to know people.
    Is this in the same school you went to then? That must feel pretty awkward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote: »
    Is this in the same school you went to then? That must feel pretty awkward.

No but it's not far from the one I went to. It is awkward (being the youngest member of staff), but I'll suppose I will have to get used to it.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eh?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1960892&highlight=
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

I knew that would crop up. For a friend.

Anyway, thanks again all :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the scenario. A teacher introduces themselves but I really don't know what to say back?

Thanks again.
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the scenario. A teacher introduces themselves but I really don't know what to say back?

Thanks again.

Hi, nice to meet you.