Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy in cruise control now, should take this match easily. Much more comfortable than his first round match. This is the Murray we like to see.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Andy's career may mirror that of Lleyton Hewitt; Hewitt won two GSs - US in 01 & Wimbledon in 02, Andy won the US in 12 & Wimbledon in 13......

John McEnroe and the likes were talking about him winning at least 6 GS's after he'd won Wimbledon last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23221769

People are very up and down with Andy, one moment people were arguing how it was inevitable he was going to get to number 1 (which I thought he could never especially with his clay court season letting him down) and win 6+ grand slams (have a look at my thread about how many Andy would win http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1733718, 5-7 was the most popular choice in the poll).

And now people are saying he'll never win one again! You'd be amazed if he never reached another GS final, I think 4+ is very realistic for him. I must be the only one on here who still thinks he can win this one.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,176
    Forum Member
    CiCi with work to do having dropped the 1st
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay so she did her work, 6-0 second set! Love it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah well, it wasn't to be for Miss Bellis but a valiant effort, and a bright prospect for the future hopefully.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    John McEnroe and the likes were talking about him winning at least 6 GS's after he'd won Wimbledon last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23221769

People are very up and down with Andy, one moment people were arguing how it was inevitable he was going to get to number 1 (which I thought he could never especially with his clay court season letting him down) and win 6+ grand slams (have a look at my thread about how many Andy would win http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1733718, 5-7 was the most popular choice in the poll).

And now people are saying he'll never win one again! You'd be amazed if he never reached another GS final, I think 4+ is very realistic for him. I must be the only one on here who still thinks he can win this one.

2 grand slam titles is still a very good achievement even if he adds no more. I forecast 4 or 5 so it would be wonderful to see him add to his 2 but in men's grand slam singles tennis there are no guarantees.

6 or 7 is unlikely. Andy's not the 3 grand slams per year merchant and when he reaches 30 it's out of the question for him to win 3 or more grand slam titles his 30's. When Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are 30 to 33 years old the best 22 to 25 year olds should be sharing the grand slam titles rather than them still maintaining their near total supremacy to all but each other apart from the odd ocasion. You can't still see Nadal remaining invincble at the French at 30 to 33 years of age and also winning an Australian open and US Open at least once apiece at 30 to 33 years of age, or all 3 of them winning 3 or more grand slam titles in their 30's.

Hewitt's 2 grand slam titles wasn't what one could call not much better than the solitary grand slam winners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Andy's career may mirror that of Lleyton Hewitt; Hewitt won two GSs - US in 01 & Wimbledon in 02, Andy won the US in 12 & Wimbledon in 13......

Hewitt's 2 grand slam titles tally is not a poor achievement.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched quite a bit of the Raonic match and I have to say, he has improved his ground game so much. He used to be little more than a great server, but this year he has really come on in leaps and bounds with all other aspects of his game. His touch, his return... I was actually pretty impressed with some of the stuff he was producing :D:o
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched quite a bit of the Raonic match and I have to say, he has improved his ground game so much. He used to be little more than a great server, but this year he has really come on in leaps and bounds with all other aspects of his game. His touch, his return... I was actually pretty impressed with some of the stuff he was producing :D:o

His movement is terrible though. He looked like Frankensteins monster running to the net when Gojowczyk hit a few drop shots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But Andy would still beat him in straight sets if they meet.

Everytime they predict a tough contest for the big 4 v a big server, the big 4 still usually win fairly easily.

Raonic isn't really a big threat.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    Ah well, it wasn't to be for Miss Bellis but a valiant effort, and a bright prospect for the future hopefully.

People were saying that about Melanie Oudin a few years ago....
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Hewitt's 2 grand slam titles tally is not a poor achievement.

I didn't mean to give that impression - of course it's an excellent achievement. ;-)
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His movement is terrible though. He looked like Frankensteins monster running to the net when Gojowczyk hit a few drop shots.

Indeed. His movement is definitely something that needs improving. But I was actually quite impressed with the improvements he has made to his ground game, even if he is still far from my favourite to watch.

david16, Milos actually has a positive head to head record against Andy. Now if Andy was close to his best, Raonic would have no answers. But in his current form, I could see a guy like Raonic giving him a bit of trouble.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People were saying that about Melanie Oudin a few years ago....

So true. So many stars just seem to crash and burn. Stephens as well it seems?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like Genie won an exciting match overnight.

Krygios really is impressing, must admit I feared his Wimbledon result maybe a fluke, he's good to watch too, got something about him.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday OOP:

Ashe
    Jankovic vs. Larsson
    Venus vs. Errani
    Ferrer vs. Tomic

Federer vs. Groth
    Sharapova vs. Lisicki (Wish it wasn't so late :()

Armstrong
    Vinci vs. Peng
    Dimitrov vs. Sela
    Safarova vs. Cornet

Grandtand
    Monfils vs. Gonzalez
    Halep vs. Lucic-Baroni
    Berdych vs. Klizan
    Wozniacki vs. Petkovic

Obviously with the WTA entering R3, the quality matches come from there. Bencic-Kerber (Court 17) is another you can add to those above. Gulbis-Thiem on Court 11 actually looks like the most interesting ATP match IMO.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to Woz-Petko, Lucie-Alize they should be fun.

Some odd show court choices though, Vinci-Peng, JJ-Larsson? Bencic-Kerber would have been much better, and Caro-Andrea should have been Ashe or Armstrong.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Woz-Petko, Lucie-Alize they should be fun.

Some odd show court choices though, Vinci-Peng, JJ-Larsson? Bencic-Kerber would have been much better, and Caro-Andrea should have been Ashe or Armstrong.

Agree. The court allocation seems nuts. Won't worry TV viewers, though.
  • Options
    benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am in New York right now and was at the Murray match last night. A brilliant experience, very different to Wimbledon. I would strongly advise any big tennis fan to get themselves out here at least once in their lifetime.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am in New York right now and was at the Murray match last night. A brilliant experience, very different to Wimbledon. I would strongly advise any big tennis fan to get themselves out here at least once in their lifetime.

Did you have tickets already or did you buy them at the venue?
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was younger I would love to do all the slams but I don't think Aus Open is a on. My friend is doing next Aus Open then she will have the set. I think I will do US Open next year.
    I thought Andy played pretty well last night. Lots of nice touch play which was in direct contrast to Raonic playing at the same time.
  • Options
    benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We got them through ticket master a few weeks ago. Day session was about $90 evening about $60. This includes access to all other stadia including Louis Armstrong.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When do you go? At least I'll know you've got David's back when you're there!;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Wednesday night out caught up with me yesterday. :( I slept through the whole of the night session. But was delighted to read that Andy had made short work of it.
    Did he look in better physical nick? Because I'm still stunned that he made it through the first round.

What about mentally? How's he coping on that front?

I think 2014 is a year to forget for us Murray watchers.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Llodra wd from doubles as well. Hes not gonna play even one more match?
This discussion has been closed.