Options

World War Z in Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the photos. Amazing transformation. Doesn't Glasgow look smart with all the American street stuff?

They're apparently also going to film something at the old William Low/KwikSave shop (Near Craigton Cemetery) on Paisley Road West.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope I get a chance to go and see it. Those pics are really good, you would think it was in America. Does anyone know how long they are filming in Glasgow? It's not everyday you get a chance to see a pretty big film being made quite close to you so it would be a great experience to see the set.

My dad asked my brother if I was going into Glasgow next week and my dad said "It has zombies in it so if she goes she might get cast as an extra" I got burned but I laughed :D
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a fantastic time for you :D

I don't understand how this film is going to work. World War Z is a "non-fiction" book containing bite-sized chunks of what dozens of people across the world remember, over a period of about five years. There's no way to make World War Z as a film. I guess they're making A N Other zombie film and calling it World War Z for the promotional aspect.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope I get a chance to go and see it. Those pics are really good, you would think it was in America. Does anyone know how long they are filming in Glasgow? It's not everyday you get a chance to see a pretty big film being made quite close to you so it would be a great experience to see the set.

It's the next two weeks they are filming here. It's due to the fact that they are leading up to a massive scene that will take a while to film, over 1000 extras will be required for it.

I went for a scout this evening and was amazed and how close you actually get to everything. While the streets are closed off to traffic you can still walk down the sidewalk and touch the set pieces if you wished.

They were filming while I was there but off in the distance, they closed off one part of the street to foot traffic. Lots of flashing lights and car horns going off.

George Square itself looks like it's prepared for a scene with all the big banners up. I suspect that will be the focally point for a fight scene.
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Sounds like a fantastic time for you :D

I don't understand how this film is going to work. World War Z is a "non-fiction" book containing bite-sized chunks of what dozens of people across the world remember, over a period of about five years. There's no way to make World War Z as a film. I guess they're making A N Other zombie film and calling it World War Z for the promotional aspect.

Sadly it looks like it's going to be like that. With Brad trying to stop the outbreak is the current rumour flying around, when the character he plays in the book is a writer getting people's stories.

It would have actually been more suited as a HBO mini-series, with each episode covering a different story from the book. Would have loved to have seen the whole downed pilot in the forest storyline but it's not in the film sadly.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been down to the Square three times now. got loads of good photos. no action ones right enough but saw Brad or his double. not sure yet. so got photos of that.. but my most exciting shots yet were at the old Meat Market in Calton when we drove along Armour street to a view never to be forgotten. a car being driven from the roof of the car.. what a photo shoot that was... then some police cars drove out and some army vehicles.. there all being kept in the market and moved when needed.. a wee scoop for anyone who wants a wee keek. go round the back of the market though.. exciting stuff.. and now were waiting on Christan Bale and Batman being filmed here too..
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, good for Glasgow.

I never noticed it before but parts of the city centre do have the required 1900-1930 architecture, streets that are narrow and steeply inclined along with the city block design that many US cities have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think your right there Richard.. seems it the same kind of buildings at Walnut street and as you say the grid system but more down to the money I think.. Philadelphia wanted far too much it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    Been down to the Square three times now. got loads of good photos. no action ones right enough but saw Brad or his double. not sure yet. so got photos of that.. but my most exciting shots yet were at the old Meat Market in Calton when we drove along Armour street to a view never to be forgotten. a car being driven from the roof of the car.. what a photo shoot that was... then some police cars drove out and some army vehicles.. there all being kept in the market and moved when needed.. a wee scoop for anyone who wants a wee keek. go round the back of the market though.. exciting stuff.. and now were waiting on Christan Bale and Batman being filmed here too..

Oh that's good to know, think I will have a look tomorrow along that way to see the vehicles stored there.

I didn't know the new Batman was being filmed in Glasgow, when is this happening? I know they have been further north doing some parachute jumps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    other scenes for the movie are being done soon in Grangemouth....some info on Batman movie.

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2011/05/26/the-dark-knight-rises-to-be-filmed-in-glasgow-102692-23158630/
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouda offered my Cadillac CTS as a bit part player in the street scenes..
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Glasgow has some superb historical architecture.

Up above rows of dowdy shops there are lots of beautifully ornate Victorian buildings, each one different. There was a lot of money in Glasgow when it was called the Second City of the Empire.

But Glaswegians never bother looking up until they see tourists taking pictures and get nosy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone yet seen any signs of this post war city all the papers keep calling the set? To me it just looks like any other US city with a bit of a traffic jam. No sign that any war took place.
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walked past George Square last night and was actually also surprised how close you could get to half the props that were still there.

I seen the SWAT van and the US Court House and the Philadelphia signs. etc Nothing new. I didn't realise they actually had signs up by Strathclyde either. (shown in one of the photos posted above)

Did anyone see the random umbrella set in the middle of the square? Was it just me who thought that was odd...?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    The crowds since Tuesday have grown in size.Today was incredible.
    Filming going on just off George Square and on the South Side.The amount of US traffic,not only cars,but also trucks, Philadelphia buses,Swat vans and police cars is incredible.

George Square sealed off in its' entirety tomorrow for major action sequence.
    :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was having another look around the set just now. There is a massive big truck sitting just off George Square. Security guard was saying that it's going to be used later today for a massive action scene.

Council are telling everyone not to come to the square later as it will be all closed off so I suspect there will be a large battle taking place later.

It's not going to stop me from trying to have a look, just have to squeeze past all the people trying to get a look at Brad Pitt :rolleyes:
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so wanna go! But I don't think anyone will want to go with me :cry: I may have to just go on my todd at some point next week. It would be cool to see Brad Pitt but I'm more interested in seeing the set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was anyone else hanging about George Square today? Just seen them film a big stunt involving a garbage truck going into the back of a lorry. Followed by hundreds of extras all running about all over the place.

Funny thing is they had to wait like an hour for the sun to go away and wear soaking the streets. One time we get a nice day in Glasgow and it seems like it's not what they are after :p

Seemed like a thousand or so people were all hanging about trying to get a view of this one scene. Was a good atmosphere.
    I so wanna go! But I don't think anyone will want to go with me :cry: I may have to just go on my todd at some point next week. It would be cool to see Brad Pitt but I'm more interested in seeing the set.

Just go, something like this doesn't happen for often here so it's worth a visit even on your own. I've been doing it myself almost every night after work to see if I can see anything going on.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Was anyone else hanging about George Square today? Just seen them film a big stunt involving a garbage truck going into the back of a lorry. Followed by hundreds of extras all running about all over the place.

Funny thing is they had to wait like an hour for the sun to go away and wear soaking the streets. One time we get a nice day in Glasgow and it seems like it's not what they are after :p

Seemed like a thousand or so people were all hanging about trying to get a view of this one scene. Was a good atmosphere.

Just go, something like this doesn't happen for often here so it's worth a visit even on your own. I've been doing it myself almost every night after work to see if I can see anything going on.

i was there late into the afternoon, went down at four and took some more pics ..... then waited around not knowing what was going to happen next, then realised, and watched the stunt as it unfolded!!!

even at about 100 metres it was pretty darn exciting to watch
    :D
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I see they were in Grangemouth today.Next to the refinery.Think they were using it as a backdrop.Saw a clip of Brad in a Winnebago.
    Laughed when the newreader quipped to the weatherman why there weren't any aliens on his map?.:D
  • Options
    Gondolin GirlGondolin Girl Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked around the George Square area for about half an hour yesterday. Took a few photos. As someone who's never (and probably never will) gone to America, I thought it was really cool and interesting. Especially liked the SWAT van and the fire trucks too. And the street signs. Also saw some dead zombies hanging up in the back of a van. :D

No sign of Brad though, even though I saw some photos online later in the day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    For fun I have been taking some 360 virtual tour images around the set, although I was not up at this weekend I hope to take some more this week. Been keeping a blog about it which you can read at http://www.pikodesign.com/blog/?p=140 or jump straight to the virtual tour images here http://www.pikodesign.com/tour/worldwarz/. Feel free to have a look!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pikodesign wrote: »
    For fun I have been taking some 360 virtual tour images around the set, although I was not up at this weekend I hope to take some more this week. Been keeping a blog about it which you can read at http://www.pikodesign.com/blog/?p=140 or jump straight to the virtual tour images here http://www.pikodesign.com/tour/worldwarz/. Feel free to have a look!

That's amazing, how did you manage to take those 360 shoots?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    No shortcuts, a lot of practice! Moving crowds are always a problem. You'll see that there is the odd ghost image of half a person or two of another. Since these were just for enjoyment I haven't spent too long trying to tidy them up. Glad you enjoyed them!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some more pics from WORLD WAR Z in glasgow, on wednesday

DSCI0039.jpg
    DSCI0022.jpg
    DSCI0024a.jpg
    DSCI0030.jpg
    DSCI0072a.jpg
    DSCI0046.jpg
    DSCI0047.jpg
    DSCI0061.jpg

just a couple from today, and saw a refuse truck plow into a meat wagon, in one of the stunts :bowdown: also some screaming civillians running away .....

DSCI0005a.jpg
    +
    DSCI0028-1.jpg
    =
    DSCI0070.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just walked past the square and again all the roads are closed to traffic and they were setting up high covered fences around most of it. I guess there is going to be a big scene today for anyone that is able to have a look.