Options

Love has a price- £912 to be exact.

Sapphire SunSapphire Sun Posts: 328
Forum Member
Again another stupid teen runs up a huge bill and this time its because he is in love, mummy has forgiven him but then again the poor sap has a face only a mother could love.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2071144/The-cost-love-Teen-runs-900-phone-just-month-after.html

He would be better getting rid of the phone and connecting on having a pot noodle and a w*nk if he is that horny.:D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'They do it with data usage - like the internet - and I just don’t understand why they don’t let you know that you are running up a bill.'

Thick as pig shit! :D
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Isn't it funny that we seem to be seeing more of these stories - once one person gets in the news about a big bill, they all want in on it.

Kids under 16 shouldn't have mobile phones anyway, it's something they really don't need. And with regard to the call costs, it's up to the contract holder to ensure proper usage, not the provider.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'They do it with data usage - like the internet - and I just don’t understand why they don’t let you know that you are running up a bill.'

Thick as pig shit! :D

What about actually giving people tests to see if they are capable of doing anything before they are let loose with it - like the driving test?

A technology test to stop planktons misusing stuff and building up unpayable bills?

A politics test you have to pass before you vote and screw up the country?

A growing-up with kids test you have to pass before your first sex?
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the girlfriend dumps him now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    What about actually giving people tests to see if they are capable of doing anything before they are let loose with it - like the driving test?

A technology test to stop planktons misusing stuff and building up unpayable bills?

A politics test you have to pass before you vote and screw up the country?

A growing-up with kids test you have to pass before your first sex?

They'd probably have to provide a diagnostic test first to give them any chances of succeeding :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are on PAYG, and then I make them download Skype so there's no excuse to not call me if they're out of credit. I don't see why anyone would ever give a 14 year old a contract phone!

What the hell was doing to speak to her for that long anyway? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember running up a £514 pound bill back in 2000 when you used to pay per minute for the internet connection. I used to use chat rooms/PowWow till the early hours.
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember running up a £514 pound bill back in 2000 when you used to pay per minute for the internet connection. I used to use chat rooms/PowWow till the early hours.

I remember back then, think it was 1p a minute with freeserve or something like that. I was allowed 1 hour a night online :D
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    UrMyStar wrote: »
    I remember back then, think it was 1p a minute with freeserve or something like that. I was allowed 1 hour a night online :D

I was on AOL back then, and that's when it had the nickname Ain't On Long because of the amount of dropped connections!

First internet provider I ever used was Compuserve :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a boyfriend of mine did that. I kept telling him he'd run up a massive bill, but he confidently said "I have hundreds of free minutes." I tried telling him there are 120 minutes in two hours, and he spent 12 hours on the phone to me at least once (I can't remember what the hell he had to say either) but he wouldn't listen. Then I went to T in the Park and told him not to bother me as I had limited battery life, and he took the opportunity to check his phone bill. £400 or something, it was. He was texting me about it, all outraged. I offered to help and he asked me if I'd pay half! About an hour after that I met my next boyfriend. :o:D

I have unlimited free texts and about 200 free minutes for a tenner a month, it's not the best deal in the world but it suits me. I've never used even half my free minutes.
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I was on AOL back then, and that's when it had the nickname Ain't On Long because of the amount of dropped connections!

First internet provider I ever used was Compuserve :D

I never used to switch my computer off back then. I managed one continuous stretch of staying connected on AOL of 34 days in 2003.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily the money they got paid for the story has covered the bill plus an upgrade.

Do the Daily Mail have a 'sad people's bollocks' hotline for this type of stuff? Or are there journalists scouring the country for the most inane and pointless stories in existence?

Oh silly question - it's the Daily Mail. My fault.
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually hate the idiot parents who think that the service provider should flag this up. It's called a contract, it is YOUR responsibility to keep to your end of the agreement just like it is THERE responsibility to keep their side of the deal. I mean, if you went 10 days with no service, would you expect say O2 to turn around and say you should have offered to help fix the problem? Ofcourse not.

If you're too dumb to understand what limits are and what happens if you go beyond them stick to pay-as-you-go. Or don't buy a phone altogether. It's time people stopped expecting everyone in the world to run after them wiping their bums -.-
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, run to the papers in the hope the phone company will waive the fee as a gesture of goodwill and to avoid any bad publicity, even though it's definitely not their fault.

May their Xmas be their worst ever.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    There was a thing on the news a couple of days ago where a girl ran up a £3k bill in a similar manner.

Didn't get the details but, IIRC, she might have been updating her twitbook while abroad on holiday with her family.

Obviously, you have to be a bit of a muppet to do it but data tariffs and, particularly, data-roaming are a helluva rip-off.

My missus just got a new Android phone which was supplied with data-roaming enabled and set to auto-update all app's and automatically check emails every hour.
    And, of course, O2 send her at least one email a day (full of data-hungry graphics) advertising special offers and other shite.

Takes about 30 seconds to change the settings so it only updates apps and checks mail when connected to a wifi network but I bet the country is full of people with smartphones that're still set to rack up a sizeable bill without the owner realising.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    There was a thing on the news a couple of days ago where a girl ran up a £3k bill in a similar manner.

Didn't get the details but, IIRC, she might have been updating her twitbook while abroad on holiday with her family.

Obviously, you have to be a bit of a muppet to do it but data tariffs and, particularly, data-roaming are a helluva rip-off.

My missus just got a new Android phone which was supplied with data-roaming enabled and set to auto-update all app's and automatically check emails every hour.
    And, of course, O2 send her at least one email a day (full of data-hungry graphics) advertising special offers and other shite.

Takes about 30 seconds to change the settings so it only updates apps and checks mail when connected to a wifi network but I bet the country is full of people with smartphones that're still set to rack up a sizeable bill without the owner realising.

They talked about this on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday, and he mentioned he watched a 3 minute youtube clip whilst in Portugal and it cost him £40!

And to address other comments, true the mother wasn't very intelligent, but if a child has a £28pm tariff - and they know it is a child as a guardian has to sign on their behalf - why wait till they have gone over their monthly spend by almost £600, before issuing a warning?

Children are given mobiles as a matter of course now, for safety. If they have to have their mobiles withdrawn, or cannot afford the upkeep, then not only do telecommunication companies receive less profit, the child's safety is put at risk. Seems a no-brainer to me, that everyone benefits if guardian's are warned immediately a child goes over their tariff.
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They talked about this on the Jeremy Vine show yesterday, and he mentioned he watched a 3 minute youtube clip whilst in Portugal and it cost him £40!

And to address other comments, true the mother wasn't very intelligent, but if a child has a £28pm tariff - and they know it is a child as a guardian has to sign on their behalf - why wait till they have gone over their monthly spend by almost £600, before issuing a warning?

Children are given mobiles as a matter of course now, for safety. If they have to have their mobiles withdrawn, or cannot afford the upkeep, then not only do telecommunication companies receive less profit, the child's safety is put at risk. Seems a no-brainer to me, that everyone benefits if guardian's are warned immediately a child goes over their tariff.
    I was listening to the show [as always] and in the 02 statement they agreed to half the bill and give her more time to pay. She forgot to mention that and then glossed over it in her reply.

There was another mother that said her kids have pay-as-you-go phones and when they credit is gone they get the phones taken away and they have to earn them back. Totally agree with that one, teaches them about boundaries and responsibility.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was listening to the show [as always] and in the 02 statement they agreed to half the bill and give her more time to pay. She forgot to mention that and then glossed over it in her reply.

There was another mother that said her kids have pay-as-you-go phones and when they credit is gone they get the phones taken away and they have to earn them back. Totally agree with that one, teaches them about boundaries and responsibility.

To be fair, the slant was "who is responsible" but your first point does indicate that O2 acknowledge at least some responsibility. I don't think it is totally their fault by the way, I just think everyone wins if they ensure they keep the guardian in the loop.

As to the other mother, she also said when her children had no credit on their mobile they weren't allowed out. I'm not sure that much reliance on technology is a healthy thing to be honest.
  • Options
    GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Stever7 wrote: »
    I actually hate the idiot parents who think that the service provider should flag this up. It's called a contract, it is YOUR responsibility to keep to your end of the agreement just like it is THERE responsibility to keep their side of the deal. I mean, if you went 10 days with no service, would you expect say O2 to turn around and say you should have offered to help fix the problem? Ofcourse not.

If you're too dumb to understand what limits are and what happens if you go beyond them stick to pay-as-you-go. Or don't buy a phone altogether. It's time people stopped expecting everyone in the world to run after them wiping their bums -.-

Totally agree with this.

There seems to be a general trend for some people to try to absolve themselves of any responsibility and place blame elsewhere. Of course it's not the service provider's responsibility to flag anything up. Their responsibility ends with providing the service. It's up to the customer how they use the service and they're liable for the additional costs arising from any deviation from the contract. You sign an agreement FFS!! That means you AGREE to their terms. Sheesh!! Some people...
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Gabbitas wrote: »
    There seems to be a general trend for some people to try to absolve themselves of any responsibility and place blame elsewhere. Of course it's not the service provider's responsibility to flag anything up. Their responsibility ends with providing the service. It's up to the customer how they use the service and they're liable for the additional costs arising from any deviation from the contract. You sign an agreement FFS!! That means you AGREE to their terms. Sheesh!! Some people...

Again, though, the thing is that if it's never happened before you might be unaware that it can happen.

I guess we, here at DS, are probably more tech-savvy than the majority of the population but I bet there's heaps of parents who are buying contract smartphones for their kids without even realising just how much it can cost if the data service is abused.
  • Options
    StikoStiko Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to simple pay & go which you stay in control, I topped up back in May with £10 and still have £8 to be used, most of the time it's switched off unless I really need it. I feel sorry for the many who rely on these Androids and the like to try and keep friendships, they are as bad as gambling which are bad for your wealth. It's all pretty pathetic really!
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiko wrote: »
    Whatever happened to simple pay & go which you stay in control, I topped up back in May with £10 and still have £8 to be used, most of the time it's switched off unless I really need it. I feel sorry for the many who rely on these Androids and the like to try and keep friendships, they are as bad as gambling which are bad for your wealth. It's all pretty pathetic really!

Ah a fellow non mobile user. I haven't topped mine up in about 5 months and haven't suffered any dire consequences. I used to be totally addicted to it, checking it every 5 minutes, waiting for the beep. Its great to go without it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    My daughter (14) has a smartphone - which she bought herself - on a prepaid plan of $30 a month - which she pays for her herself. This plan includes unlimited phone class on weekends, unlimited texts to any network and unlimited facebook and twitter. Pretty good deal.

She has data roaming switched off, as I was stung by that when I first got my android (only once to the tune of $5, though...)
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiko wrote: »
    pugamo wrote: »
    Ah a fellow non mobile user. I haven't topped mine up in about 5 months and haven't suffered any dire consequences. I used to be totally addicted to it, checking it every 5 minutes, waiting for the beep. Its great to go without it.
    We're talking about parents not knowing the full ins and outs of a contract phone and teenagers that are happy to let those parents clear up their mess. If it was an adult, it would be slightly different. Not everyone has the same use for their phones so to think they should all use it in the way that you both do is a tad simplistic. [No, I'm not calling you simple before anyone goes there]