Dark Shadows (Cult 60s gothic supernatural soap)

After having heard a lot about it over the years, and managing to source the entire run of 1225 episodes (epis are only 19-20mins long) have finally started to watch the much talked about Cult series DARK SHADOWS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows

The series is a cult favourite and has over the decades been called one of the most talked about Cult TV shows ever so i thought Id give it a watch.

Only 5 episodes in, and the pacing of the episodes is extremely slow. But even with the slow pacing, it has got me really hooked, especially with episodes being so short in length. The slow pacing also adds to the enjoyment I think - it really feels like reading a novel - 5reading a novel is slower paced than watching a TV show but yet gratification and enjoyment can easily surpass that of a TV show.

The acting is OTT and wooden at times - but I am enjoying the Theatrics that were so typical in TV shwos form the 50s and 60s. The early episodes are also in Black and White, and with this being a gothic / mystery (horror will come in later episodes) it just adds to the series. Ideal for watching just before going to sleep.

The series was weak to start off with ratings wise in the USA, and things really kick off at episdoe 210, hence why when released in syndication and on DVD etc, they mostly start off at episode 210 after summarising the previous 209 episodes ina special recap episode.

Dark Shadows did not air in Gibraltar, and am wondering whether it originally aired in the UK in the 60s and 70s. I know Sci-Fi Channel aired the series in the States not too long ago, and several European SciFi channels also did same. I think UK SciFi aired this too - but I missed it.

Is anyone on here a fan? IHas anybody seen this or is watching? Episodes (early ones) are available on Youtube and US Hulu, and the rest fo the series can be found elsewhere.

So far Im hooked, and hopefully anticipation for episode 210 will keep me watching - even though the early episdoes are weaker, but I really like watching shows in their entirety and don't want to just skip till the better part of it.

If any one is watching, has watched or has something to share about the show, please join in the discussion.

Comments

• maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gah. Dark Shadows. When I was a kid the only reason we tuned in is if we got home early from school. It aired right before the afternoon movie (which was generally something old and goofy.)

I did quite like the short lived reboot from the 90's. Killed off before its time, it was.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Gah. Dark Shadows. When I was a kid the only reason we tuned in is if we got home early from school. It aired right before the afternoon movie (which was generally something old and goofy.)

I did quite like the short lived reboot from the 90's. Killed off before its time, it was.

The shortlived Dark Shadows:The Revival was a success when it first premiered. It was a shame it was cancelled since it seems its ratings decline was set off by the start of the Gulf War and people giving the series a miss in order to tune in to the news channels.

I remember the revival did air in my area and the did promote it as being inspired by a cult series form the 60s. I never watched it though. Ill probs check it out at some point too. I also plan to watvch the two 70s Dark Shadows inspired movies which are not part of the series' continuity. Havent seen the Johnny Depp movie but it seems I shouldnt even bother reading the reviews
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show. A few months back, I too started from episode 1 and I'm currently in the 220s.

The early pre-supernatural/horror episodes are indeed extremely slow, yet for some reason I just couldn't tear myself away from them. Every bit as gripping as a lot of modern TV shows. Though I imagine they'd be extremely frustrating to watch at a rate of 1 episode per day, as originally aired, which probably accounts for the low ratings at the time.

The show really started hitting it's stride much earlier than Episode 210, I'd say from around Episode 127 onwards. The Laura Collins/Phoenix storyline is absolutely fantastic and is the point where the writers/producers really stopped holding back and went all out crazy. Prior to that all we'd seen is a few ghosts, very sparingly.

My only criticism so far, is that when the show changes focus towards the Supernatural/Horror, a lot of the storylines from the early days are swiftly brushed under the carpet and given quick & tidy endings with 1 major storyline seemingly forgotten and never resolved. Understandable, but somewhat of a shame nonetheless.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stumbled across this show, almost literally, after waking up from a bit of a drink many years ago. It was on the Sci Fi Channel at about 3am! Something about it's atmosphere intrigued me so I started setting the video timer....then a certain vampire turned up and that was it...hooked.

I just love it, fluffed lines, boom mics and all. especially the episodes where Barnabas has kidnapped Maggie...that musical watch theme still sticks in my head.

Really got to seek out some DVDs sometime!
    Forum Member
    I love this show. A few months back, I too started from episode 1 and I'm currently in the 220s.

The early pre-supernatural/horror episodes are indeed extremely slow, yet for some reason I just couldn't tear myself away from them. Every bit as gripping as a lot of modern TV shows. Though I imagine they'd be extremely frustrating to watch at a rate of 1 episode per day, as originally aired, which probably accounts for the low ratings at the time.

The show really started hitting it's stride much earlier than Episode 210, I'd say from around Episode 127 onwards. The Laura Collins/Phoenix storyline is absolutely fantastic and is the point where the writers/producers really stopped holding back and went all out crazy. Prior to that all we'd seen is a few ghosts, very sparingly.

My only criticism so far, is that when the show changes focus towards the Supernatural/Horror, a lot of the storylines from the early days are swiftly brushed under the carpet and given quick & tidy endings with 1 major storyline seemingly forgotten and never resolved. Understandable, but somewhat of a shame nonetheless.

Thanks for coming into the thread! :)

Im really enjoying this, slow pace and all! Got quite a bit of time on my hands so am bingewatching this.
    Forum Member
    I stumbled across this show, almost literally, after waking up from a bit of a drink many years ago. It was on the Sci Fi Channel at about 3am! Something about it's atmosphere intrigued me so I started setting the video timer....then a certain vampire turned up and that was it...hooked.

I just love it, fluffed lines, boom mics and all. especially the episodes where Barnabas has kidnapped Maggie...that musical watch theme still sticks in my head.

Really got to seek out some DVDs sometime!

The early episodes and selected others are available on youtube if you wish to look them up. Hulu also has them available (US Hulu though)
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've 'secured' some episodes (around 90), 1- 30, then bits n pieces all over its run till the end, so i've got a rough overview of the series. I actually find the early b/w have a slightly spooky resonance. After I got those episodes, I trolled the net checking out the actors (whom it must be said, are fascinating in themselves!).

Theres an element of camp that hits its stride when it changes to colour - its a kind of Crossroads/Prisoner Cell Block H camp feel to it, instead with ghouls!

My all time favourite actress in it - Grayson Hall CHEWS the scenery (actually they all do!), and had the most fascinating hair do(n't) and make up applied by someone who clearly had it in for her! Whatta gal! Her style of acting is up there with Noel Gordon but with flared nostrils...

The other fav is Joan Bennett (who was one of the witches in Suspiria, no less), who gives off the most palpable sense of disdain at being in the series! Ooops sorry, its her style of acting!

Seriously thinking of saving up to buy the box set!

ENJOY!:D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing to remember this was a daytime soap! Dan Curtis of course went on to create Kolchak: The Night Stalker in two superb TV movies and a somewhat mediocre follow-up series, the acknowledged progenitor of The X Files.

Dark Shadows has such a weird, limbo atmosphere that that quality overwhelms all the shoddy acting, sets, and production values and imbues it with a compelling quality that it`s hard to really pin down. A true TV original.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The early episodes and selected others are available on youtube if you wish to look them up. Hulu also has them available (US Hulu though)

Ooh, ta. Will have a look. It was always enjoyably bonkers, but there was something about those black and white episodes in particular. Am a bit like that re: Sixties Doctor Who.

Always loved the fact that Mr Frid became something of a sex symbol, albeit a slightly atypical one. Some of his obvious "oh, b*gger, I have no idea what the next line is" moments I find really endearing. The fact that it was pretty much shown 'as live' just adds to my enjoyment. What a bunch of troopers. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im really enjoying this, slow pace and all! Got quite a bit of time on my hands so am bingewatching this.

It's the best way to view the series.

I had the intention of watching maybe 2 episodes a night and often ended up watching much more than that. The slow build up in each episode until we get to the brink of some major plot reveal - only for the end credits to appear & find out next episode. :o
    Straker wrote: »
    Amazing to remember this was a daytime soap! Dan Curtis of course went on to create Kolchak: The Night Stalker in two superb TV movies and a somewhat mediocre follow-up series, the acknowledged progenitor of The X Files.

Dark Shadows has such a weird, limbo atmosphere that that quality overwhelms all the shoddy acting, sets, and production values and imbues it with a compelling quality that it`s hard to really pin down. A true TV original.

Absolutely agreed. The show takes on quite an eery atmosphere at times, the kind of show that would be suitably creepy when watched at night with the lights out and yet as you pointed out, it was a daytime soap, it's crazy!
    Forum Member
    It's the best way to view the series.

I had the intention of watching maybe 2 episodes a night and often ended up watching much more than that. The slow build up in each episode until we get to the brink of some major plot reveal - only for the end credits to appear & find out next episode. :o

Absolutely agreed. The show takes on quite an eery atmosphere at times, the kind of show that would be suitably creepy when watched at night with the lights out and yet as you pointed out, it was a daytime soap, it's crazy!

Am so hooked! Like you I intended to watch a couple of episodes a night, but end up watching quite a few! Am already up to episode 40-odd. I think we all find the same thing - creepy, eerie atmosphere and something which just hooks you in.

Interestingly the series was filmed "as live" and its entertaining in its own way to catch little mistakes, like actors getting a character's name wrong, or even forgetting it LOL Also, Joan Bennet is perhaps, to date, the actress which most fluffs her lines - mostly she has a suden pause mid word I find, oly to then continue as if she suddenly remembered what came next. That said, even if they fluff their lines, its great to see how they make it seem natural - we all slip up when we talk in real life and they seem to do a good job to make it seem that way despite fluffing their lines.

Interesting to see how they run paranormal hints and tidbits in the background. I wonder whether it was ever the plan for these superatural elements to come to the fore, or whether ta this stage, they were just added to add to the eerie nature of the house, the family and the secrets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe it was the original intent to feature any supernatural elements at all, according to various sources, the original series bible made no mention of them. The references to ghosts etc, was mostly just creating an atmosphere.

Ratings were poor, so they decided to actually show a ghost (Josette). A gimmick that seemed to work, so they added more ghosts and tied the ongoing mystery plot in with them. Ultimately this lead to a change of focus starting with the Laura Collins/Phoenix storyline and subsequently finding it's niche with the introduction of Barnabas.

And regarding the line fluffs, I too feel that it adds to the show, as like you say - we don't all speak absolutely perfect error free sentences in real life, we make mistakes and say the wrong names/places etc.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have wanted to see this show for a few years but i think the fact that 1, 225 episode were made, is very daunting and off putting for anyone to want to dedicate their time to. Not unless a television channel picked it up and a show an episode a day
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wanted to see this show for a few years but i think the fact that 1, 225 episode were made, is very daunting and off putting for anyone to want to dedicate their time to. Not unless a television channel picked it up and a show an episode a day
    I've seen every incarnation of Dark Shadows that I could get hold of since the soaps
    first aired to the awful Johnny Depp movie-- the Carl Kolchak meets Barnabas Collins short story would have made a better storyline. Don't be daunted by the episode count. If you want: try and watch the Dark Shadows 1990s run of 12 episodes to get the basic storyline-- I thought it was a good series.